“Preposterously good”

Price range: US$6 - US$41
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: View, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: We're a family run seafood and steak restaurant in operation since 1988. We pride ourselves in sourcing the best local seafood and steaks and serve vegetables fresh from the garden. Situated on the Wild Atlantic Way against the backdrop of Liscannor Bay, the restaurant combines stunning views with a homely atmosphere and an old-style, Irish cottage charm.
Reviewed 14 June 2011

Why this little out-of-the-way restaurant is so good is a complete mystery to me. Well, not a complete mystery. The ingredients were harvested from the local garden and nearby sea that day or recently, and the preparation stepped out of the way just enough to let the freshness shine. The salad was a crisp mix of luscious greens, rich blue cheese, smoky lardons, and edible flowers. The fish and chips were fluffy and delicious. Enjoying these dishes inside a room of floor-to-ceiling windows, overlooking the garden and sea, after a blustery visit to the Cliffs of Moher...absolute paradise.

(Note: Only point against them was no Guinness or much other beer selection. Small price to pay!)

1  Thank jedverity

Reviewed 16 December 2010

I went here with my husband and thought the place was beautiful service, food, atmosphere, the best place in Clare! I was a regular at the Black Oak Restaurant in previous year but have found a new love!! Fresh fish and steak, to die for! Very reasonable priced.

Reviewed 2 September 2010

We ate in Barrtra last week and what a superb meal we had!!! Sea food of top standard, really friendly service, all was perfect; We were in Clare for 10 days and ate out in lots of restaurants in the area but this one has our top mark; There is absolutely nothing negative to be said about this place, it's perfect; But the best part is the food..... I'd go back to Clare just to eat there again!!!! I was there with my husband and 2 kids and there is no kids menu but my children shared a fish dish and loved it and shared our dishes too, there was so much to eat and all was delicious I nearly licked my plate!

Reviewed 24 June 2010

My wife and I always make sure whenever we are in Co.Clare that we make a reservation to dine at this Seafood gem! The O'Brien family have always treated there guests like family,service is warm and knowledgeable,and the wine list is both bold and reasonable.They serve delicous,seafood,no frills and have for years made this a 'Destination Restaurant' for those local and far away.Nice to see another generation of O'Briens in the kitchen.

Reviewed 5 July 2009

We arrived after 6pm today. No one else in restaraunt so we got one of the many tables with stunning views of the sea.
My wife and I are big into seafood and we both agreed that the food was excellent in the following ways;
1. Fresh crab, lobster, mussels and salmon.
2. Bread that came with soup was exceptional.
3. Presentation and background music was good.
4. Might seema small point but the coffee was divine.

We will definetly become regular customers. Perhaps stopping off for lunch.