“Ideal for a relaxing weekend away”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Falls Hotel & Spa

Falls Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Ennistymon
Galway, Ireland
“Ideal for a relaxing weekend away”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014

My friends and I recently spent the weekend here and it was amazing! The location is great, really close to so many beautiful places. The food in the restaurant was beautiful, lots of variety, so fresh and really good quality.But it was the staff that really stood out - they could not have been more helpful and accommodating! I would really recommend this place if you want a relaxing weekend away.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Kt C
FallsHotelSpa, Manager at Falls Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 29 July 2014
Dear Trip Advisor Member,
What a fantastic review and recommendation! Our standard of food and location in county Clare really impressed you but I'm delighted to hear that it was our staff that really blew you away. We take great pride in having a wonderful staff and when we receive feedback like this our opinions are proven correct and right. I hope this is the first of many relaxing weekends away at the Falls Hotel & Spa and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon in the not so distant future.

Sales and Marketing Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (219)
Kildare, Kildare, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2014

we spent 4 nights in the falls and had a lovely time. the staff did everything to help in any way they could. the food was great.the spa was lovely.our room was cosy with a lovely big bed. the town is small but the people are very friendly. lots to do in the area. we were fully rested as we headed for home. we hope to stay here again very soon.

Room Tip: our room was on the 4th floor. it was very quiet at all times.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Caroline K
clare
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2014

Recently had our wedding reception at The Falls Hotel & Spa. We should have known that the management don't care about your day...as during the year since we paid our deposit we didn't receive any calls/emails unless in reply to a query we had....a quick phonecall to see how our plans were going would have meant the world but this is just a minor personal thought!
Our first meal tasting was a complete disaster...soup course & dessert were spot on but starters and mains were the wrong items & cooked very badly with lots of fat on the beef, starter was cold and not what we had chosen to taste, roast potatoes were not fresh & jus with beef was tasteless.
We gave our feedback to the manager who wrote down all our requests. We then found out the chef who had cooked our tasting was not the chef who would cook the wedding meal! When I emailed a few days later we were invited back to a second tasting. 2nd tasting and everything was perfect - so our minds were put at ease & we looked forward to our big day!! The managers didn't want to spend any time with us at our second tasting - just came in & asked if the meal was ok but didn't take the time to sit down & go through our wedding details.
All our dealings were via email & being a very particular couple who really honed in on the little details we were delighted that the correspondence, which wasn't very quick and at times lacked a lot of detail, finally got sorted and the next time we visited was 2 days before our wedding where we gave the hotel all the bits & pieces for our big day.
We did have a lot of extras - but nothing out of the norm - bathroom baskets, presents for bridesmaids, place name cards for the tables, mints for favors for our guests, wine for the meal & a few other bits. Again the general manager sat with us for approx 5 mins & ran through all the details but in a very formal non friendly manner. When leaving that day even our family members commented on the lack of customer care we had received.
On the day itself we arrived at the hotel on time, 2 managers met us at the car ....the weather wasn't great so the red carpet wasn't out on the steps which is fine....except I had to try and manage the steps (which were wet) hold up my dress, hold my flowers & champagne....my husband was the only one to assist me as the managers looked on. The champagne was thrust into our hands & we didn't even get a congratulations from the hotel...
We met the general manager again just before the bell call - just checking in on time which was good as time does tend to fly away on the day.
The meal itself was good - all our guests loved their food & we did hear good reports....the top table (everyone except the priest) had been pre-ordered and still 1 of the bridesmaids meals was wrong! The starters were on a cold plate so half way through eating the dish had gone cold. The soup/sorbet was fab. The main course while it was very nice I was disappointed that my husband & I received no roast potatoes with our meal. The dessert was presented beautifully.
We had asked for our wine to be left on each table after the first pour & the hotel had agreed to this saying it was "no problem"....it didn't happen on the day & just before the speeches I had to ask for a top up to be given to the top table.....
The favor mints we had provided to the hotel were nowhere to be seen on the day. 3 managers were on duty for the meal and each of them did check on the top table but not on any other table. There was no one to take care of our drinks at the top table and my husband who doesn't drink wine (and the hotel had been made aware of this beforehand) had to go to the bar to get himself a glass of coke. During the meal I saw 2 waitresses standing up yawning - not even trying to hide it!!
The last interaction we had with the general manager was after the meal as I was making my way to the bathroom he asked if my meal was ok & without waiting for an answer he told me he had to go as he had a very busy night with wedding meal tastings in the restaurant!! Not what a bride needs to hear on her wedding day at all!!!
Overall we had the most perfect wedding day but there was nothing the managers of the hotel did to assist this. The only exception to this was the bar manager who kept some sandwiches for our guests to have the residents bar & she was very attentive - even up to 4am!!
The hotel is beautiful with a fab big bar which we used the night after- the hotel provided music for us which was super. The apartments which our families used for the weekend were perfect. The pool & spa are just amazing and so relaxing- the outdoor hot tub is a must.
The restaurant which we dined in the night after the wedding was nice- very overpriced for what you get. They did allow us to use the wine that was left over from the wedding to have with our meal - again though it was very slow to be poured! There was no extra touch & we weren't made to feel in any way special - which you would expect the day after getting married!!
The bridal suite is just another bedroom in the hotel - nothing added by management to make your day special - a bowl of fruit & a bottle of water in the room would go a long way for people on their wedding day. Our bathroom baskets on the wedding day were placed in the wrong order- the gents was thrown into the smoking area and we had to ask one of our guests to put it in the bathroom for us!!
However, what prompted me most to write this review was the paying of the wedding bill....the money was handed over , double counted by the manager who said "yip it's all there"!!!!There was no thank you, no "how was everything for you", not even a handshake!!
Our wedding candle was returned broken, we were left with over 600 wedding day mints(which had been specially made as a gift for us), 40+ bottles of wine and overall a feeling that we were just another couple passing through the doors.
Whilst the falls is a spectacular wedding venue with the most amazing location and setting which is ideal for wedding photos...beyond the doors it's nothing more than a wedding factory so if you're looking for a personal touch and a feeling that your day is as special to them as it is to you.....I would advise future brides to shop around before committing...even though it's "no problem" in the planning stages...the reality on the day is very different.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
8 Thank ashswee
FallsHotelSpa, Manager at Falls Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 18 June 2014
Dear Trip Advisor Member,

All feedback both positive and negative is greatly appreciated here on Trip Advisor, as it ultimately ensures continued high standards at our hotel. However if anybody views any of our other reviews on Trip Advisor, our weddings have never received such harsh and unfair criticism before. We are an award winning wedding venue whose excellent reputation as a hotel is based on the wedding service we provide and we have hundreds of positive testimonials from past couples to back this fact up. Please visit the wedding section of our website to see some examples of these excellent reviews on www.fallshotel.ie. If anyone wants further accurate information on the wedding service we provide please feel free to get in touch with me via email on sales@fallshotel.ie

County Clare, Rep. Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2014

Having stayed at the Falls Hotel many times, the standard is as high as ever and the staff as friendly. The rooms are spacious, clean and we had the added bonus of getting a room with a view of the river which was lovely. The food was in the Thai restaurant was gorgeous and the staff couldn't be nicer.

For me, it's impossible to find a single fault. Just love this hotel and will be back again in a month or two.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
FallsHotelSpa, Manager at Falls Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 19 June 2014
Dear Trip Advisor Member,
Thank you for such a refreshingly positive review. It really portrays the high standards of our hotel and the services we offer here at the Falls Hotel & Spa.
To claim you could not find a single fault is terrific as it really proves we are doing our job in the right manner. Our accommodation, cuisine, location and views all blew you away and the fact you will return again in a few months once and for all proves how enjoyable your stay was!
We look forward to welcoming you back.

Liverpool, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2014

We used this hotel more of a base as we were primarily over to do the 'Ted Tour's Father Ted tour. We arrived Friday night and after a quite expensive cab ride from Shannon Airport (80 euro) we decided to skip our planned dinner in the restaurant to save some cash to last us (we were until Monday). Check in very simple, and the first impressions of the hotel were great, lovely grounds & helpful staff. Check in advised us of a couple of pubs to visit and suggested a take away on the main street as we were now not eating out.

Ennistymon itself was very small and quiet, and the next day we ventured into Doolin so only really used the hotel for the bar that night. Staff at the bar very friendly and offering help as to travel/places to visit. Sunday again we didnt use the hotel much as this was the day of our tour, although the tour itself does start there with a walk around the beautiful cascades. Donkeys are free to roam around the grounds by the cascades and used to humans, coming over very curious wanting feeding and petting. The bar offers great views of the cascades.

The next day the check in receptionist offered us advice re public transport to the airport which saved us over 50 euro. We wondered around the hotel on our final morning and the swimming pool and hot tub looked amazing, such a shame we only used this hotel as a base as ideally we would have loved a relaxing day and meal there, but what we booked it for it was ideal.

Prices - good
Staff - Very helpful
Location - Beautiful but quiet.

Only downside was the room key was HUGE. Literally needed a bag to put it in (couldn't fit in pocket).

Would come back again and stay for longer if we did.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Trip Advisor Member,
Thank you for taking the time to post this review. You certainly picked the perfect base for a Fr. Ted tour considering so many episodes of the show were filmed here on the grounds of the hotel.
As you point out you didn't get to spend as much time as you would have liked in our hotel but this did not stop our staff leaving a lasting impression on you both. Firstly you compliment our friendly bar staff who gave you tips on the best places to visit in the local area. Secondly you mentioned how our receptionist was equally helpful. I am delighted to hear our advice manages to save you €50.
I really hope ye do manage to get to return and stay for longer as I guarantee our hotel would impress even further!

Georgetown, Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2014

This review is regarding the River Spa of the Falls hotel.

I am visiting here from the US prior to moving back to the area and if my experience anything to go by its no wonder everyone wants to leave.

Initially using my sister's guest passes for the pool & gym facilities I paid a considerable amount to 'join' for 2 weeks. Everyone was very courteous while I was handing over my cash but....

I greeted the attendant this morning with a friendly 'good morning' but received no response :(

The behavior of the locals leaves a lot to be desired too. Being and early bird I thought going for an early swim would be a relaxing experience. It was until the local members arrived. Just don't be swimming in 'their' bit of the pool or you will suffer. One old woman actually standing in my way to make it plain I should not be swimming in her part of the pool. The other locals this morning were almost as bad. Good grief, acting like 5 year olds who had had a favorite toy taken from them.

The hotel really needs to train its staff better to at least say hello to their members, temporary or not, and not just chat with the locals. A word to their membership about playing nice in the pool would not hurt either.

Room Tip: I am sure the rooms and the hotel itself are much more welcoming. I cannot recommend the Pool though...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Never_my_emaiil
Tralee, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2014

spent a weekend there, great food, staff so friendly hotel was nice and clean, breakfast was only ok to be fair, but the dinner was excellent every night we were there, the grounds outside were just fantastic, will def be back again

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Dear Trip Advisor Member,
It's wonderful to hear that you will definitely be back to us again. We are delighted to see happy returning customers at the Falls Hotel & Spa. It's great to know ye had such a lovely weekend in Ennistymon. Thank you for all of your compliments and for sharing this review.

Sales and Marketing Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ennistymon
Cliffs of Moher Hotel
The Old Ground
#1 of 9 in Ennis
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,479 reviews
Lahinch Golf & Leisure Hotel

Been to Falls Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!