“Bed and Breakfast From Hell”

Grove mount House Bed & Breakfast
and 1 more site!
Grove mount House Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #3 of 4 Ennistymon B&B and Inns
Dublin, Ireland
“Bed and Breakfast From Hell”
Reviewed 29 April 2012

Myself and my partner arrived in Grovemount House Ennistymon Lahinch at 9pm approx to be greeted by Sheila the owner of the B and B we were brought into the B and B and shown our room from the first impression it was a massive House. Our room was number 5 down a corridor. The room was cold although the heat appeared to be on...The room was very dated with old style curtains and a very small double bed and a single made the room very small...I decided to have a shower before bed and when I turned on the shower I was sprayed with water the shower head was spraying water all over the floor when I tried to ajust it the lid came off I managed to screw the head back on but the shower head would not turn any other way so I tried to have a shower it was awful as I was trying not to wet my hair impossible....I dried myself with small towels...then proceeded to go to bed to check my e-mails while my partner was looking at a tiny t.v. that was in a closet that you had to turn your neck to see...I tried without fail to get the broadband to work no luck even though it was advertised...I picked up the phone to call Sheila but the room phone was disconnected. I gave up and tried to go asleep despite the fact I was cold. I got a blanket from the wardrobe and finally I got to sleep.
I woke up at 7am for breakfast and I was greeted by Sheila I was served breakfast which was o.k. kinda hard to get a fry up wrong....We got our stuff and went to check out...
From the Irish Hotels .com book the price of the B and B and it said euro 35 to 40 when I spoke to Sheila she quoted euro 45 then when I said my partner would travel she said Euro 66.oo.
Sheila arrived at reception and said 66 euro no how was your stay nothing so I said Sheila I'm not very happy with the room to which she acted very surprised I said I had seen a bad review in Trip Advisor but decided to give you the benefit of the doubt she said sorry about that to which I said are you not going to offer a discount to which she said I don't do that..She said we turn the heat off at nite as we couldn't keep it on all nite which I couldn't believe...She siad there was never complaints about the rooms....She eventually said look I'll give it to you for 60 euro I was not a happy camper so a bit of advice don't stay there !!!
I could not belive the lack of customer service in future I will take advice from Trip Advisor....

Room Tip: I only saw room 5 so cannot comment on the others...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Strawberybabe

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Cork, Ireland
Reviewed 27 March 2012

Was in the town for a wedding and Grovemount was considerably cheaper than the alternatives. It's a very short walk from the centre of town. The best thing about it are the proprietors, who are lovely and kindly offered to drop us into town after we checked in.

The falls are very nice. Make sure you get to see them.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank C B
Ireland
Reviewed 20 March 2011

We chose Grovemount House as it was a family run hotel so we wanted to appreciate the local side of the area. We received the warmest of welcomes when we arrived. Everyone was extremely helpful offering information on where to eat and drink, walks and places to visit. The room was clean, comfortable and the views from our room was spectacular.

Breakfast was the really tasty, not rushed, full of chat in a beautiful sun filled room.

Visiting the Cliffs of Moher was a place we wanted to visit for some time and staying in the Grovemount House really made it perfect for us.

Thanks to you all.

Jenny & Ian

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JenMay
Limerick, Ireland
Reviewed 23 August 2010

My husband and I stayed at this guesthouse as it is located close to the Falls Hotel where we were attending a wedding and the hotel was booked up. The prop. Sheila informed us that the latest time by which we could have breakfast was 10.00 a.m. and " we had to be out of our room by 11.00".

We arrived at the diningroom at a few mins after ten. The woman serving our table was the rudest woman I have ever met. There was no such thing as a good morning or even a smile. She grumpily asked us what we wanted for breakfast and almost threw the plates down in front of us. She pointed to a back room where we could get juices etc. There was no orange juice left so I asked her for some and she barely put enough juice into the jug that would fill half a small glass each. We had our breakfast almost eaten when we got out pot of tea, which I had to nervously ask for as I know they had forgotten it. As we were finishing our breakfast, Sheila stuck her head out the door and again informed us that we had to be out of our room by 11.00.

We are not ones to complain easily about service but on this occasion I had to say something. When I mentioned to Sheila about the frosty welcome that we got from her on our arrival and also the unfriendly service we got at breakfast, she admitted that she was having an off day but also went onto say that people who stayed at the guesthouse after weddings never listened to her when she informed them of the earlly breakfast nor of the departure time of 11. She seemed to be judging us on previous guests.

We spoke to another couple who had also attended the wedding and they also couldn't believe the bad attitude of the prop. I must say that my husband and I are usually fairly easily pleased and I have never written a review in my life but on this occasion I had to say something about the shoddy treatment received. If we had been given even the glimpse of a smile that morning then all would have been forgiven.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Murf42
Melbourne
Reviewed 11 August 2010

Grovemount House is one of the best places I stayed in Ireland. It is located just outside the town and it only takes about 10 minutes to walk there. All the facilities were just perfect. If you want to use the internet then the best place to go is the local library.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled solo
Springfield, Illinois
Reviewed 28 July 2010

The guesthouse is nice and clean but the rooms are very small. Breakfast was delicious. Would not recommend this for a family with children.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
Limerick
Reviewed 2 November 2009

A beautiful house just outside the town with no noise of traffic and beautiful relaxing scenery. Our room at the back had a view of the meandering river. Friendly hostess, delicious breakfast. I will definitely go back again.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ennistymon
Falls Hotel & Spa
#3 of 7 in Lahinch
Station House B & B
Station House B & B
#2 of 4 in Ennistymon

Been to Grove mount House Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!