“Mixed views”

Powerscourt Arms Country House
Ranked #4 of 6 Enniskerry B&B and Inns
Reviewed 8 February 2013

Like another reviewer we found the room extremely cold (1st due to cleaner leaving the window wide open (in January?!!) and no heating on til late (although it was put on after we requested it).The room and bed were fresh and clean and decorated in modern colours. Diappointments were that there was only 1 chair and no dressing table or suitcase stand or tea/coffee making facilities.(although we were offered this to be brought up to our room on checking in) (another star for staff)! The only electric socket in the room was on the opposite wall to the mirror which made drying my hair with a small mirror (lucky I packed it) on the only chair whilst I was on my knees wasn't easy! Bathroom was massive and very clean except for 'black mould' around the edges of the shower- off puttng!!
Plus points - the restaurant was fantastic-staff extremely friendly and helpful and the food 5 star.Lots of locals in even though it was early on a Monday evening so that in itself speaks volumes. Breakfast basic but again friendly staff. Pointed out our 'problems' to receptionist as we were checking out and she too was very helpful and even reduced the bill... can't get better service than that.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 3 December 2012

Not a very comfortable hotel verv dissapointing stayed one night very cold no heating in bedroom until 8oclock so very cold changing to go out to paryl no chair in room very basic room room didnt feel clean. room cold when we woke up heating switched off. breakfast was dreadful large group of non residients for breakfast staff couldnt cope. when our order eventaully arrived we had to send back breakfastas it was it was cold wnen it arrived.I could write more but suffice to say we will never recommend that hotel to anybody.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank thecaffreys
Reviewed 10 November 2012

Powerscourt House itself is something else and the Ritz Carlton phenomenal BUT......................I was on business and at 48 Euros for ensuite bedroom and breakfast you really must not complain.
I arrived too late to try Macs Bar and have a meal but the breakfast was really good and the room nothing to complain about. Sure the carpets might need updating, the gutter outside my room needed fixing and dripped rain all night, there was a tv cable passing across my bedroom window and there are no tea/coffee making facilities but it really didn't matter. I had a good night and a good breakfast so whether you're on your way to somewhere else and need a stopover or you want to spend a few days away, give it a go!

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 19 September 2012

Fair location for both access to Dublin and walking in Wicklow. First impressions not good... weeds growing at the front door. Staff were helpful and friendly. Food in the restaurant was fine, but the TVs were a bit on the loud side. Smell of food throughout, obviously fans in the kitchen did not work, decor was poor, carpets well worn. As for the room, the only plus was the comfy bed. Small TV, few channels, lack of furniture, smelly small wardrobe, tiny bathroom (no bath!) and not even a hook for a towel or a toilet roll holder. The place just did not look of feel clean.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 September 2012

This has to be the worst B&B I've ever stayed in. Please have a look at the pictures. The carpet was sticky, the wardrobe had old clothes on the floor, the ceiling was falling away and the room had it's own mouse trap, that should tell you everything you need to know.

The 'meeting' room was below us and at 7am they started moving furniture.

All the positive reviews are mind blowing, I'm guessing by all excited americans passionate about Ireland. Dear USA, this is not Ireland. This hotel is poor quality and overpriced.

The linen is new and they are trying, but you can't polish a turd. I was charged €90 for a twin room and a terrible nights sleep. I was unhappy to pay full price but the reception staff told me they have already charged my card.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank ThatBlokeRob
Reviewed 2 September 2012

We stayed here for a couple of nights on trip around Ireland. The rooms are good, comfortable but need an update. Breakfast is very good and is served most of the morning, so much more relaxing than the 8.30 to 9.15 you tend to get in U.K !! Surrounding area is lovely.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 August 2012

I booked into the Powerscourt Arms with my South African friend on July 27th for 2 nights and we had a wonderful stay. The staff could not do enough for us and the food variety and quality excellent with no problem We went for the full Irish breakfast which arrived freshly cooked with homemade brown bread and toast which we thoroughly enjoyed. For dinner we dined in the bistro, I had the steak which was cooked exactly as requested and as I could not decide which desert to have the head waiter brought me a taster plate, and by the way the wine recommendation was also very good.
We finished off the evening with a few drinks in a very friendly and lively lounge. Our rooms were very clean and my bed was very comfortable and very good value. We will definately be back to stay in the Powerscourt Arms.

• Stayed: July 2012
Also consider these accommodations in or near Enniskerry
Summerhill House Hotel
The Martello Hotel
Esplanade Hotel
Esplanade Hotel
#5 of 7 in Bray

Been to Powerscourt Arms Country House? Share your experiences!