We are unaccustomed to staying in a hotel at this level, so we jumped at the chance when this package appeared. All the superlatives about the rooms, view, and the service that you read in these reviews are 100% accurate. Loved our room....comfy bed, maybe the biggest we've ever slept in. Free internet. Lots of light. Terrific views. Honor bar is nicely stocked but very expensive, so stay away if you're on a budget. We missed having an electric coffee maker, but I guess the hotel wants you to pay 10 euro for coffee/tea plus its delivery to the room. We brought our snacks, water, wine, etc. A minor quibble. TV in the master bath's mirror is amusing, but unnecessary.
Staff is uniformly gracious and helpful. Always a smile. Always accommodating. Friendly and chatty. Always ready with bits of information and extra service.
Food is a bit of a problem, as it is also very expensive. We went into Enniskerry for all our breakfasts and most of our dinners during our 5 days. Plenty to choose from. 3 places for breakfast, of which Poppy's was our favorite. Dinners at the pub and the town's hotel bistro. Quite good, serviceable but not terrific. Emilio's, the Italian restaurant next to Poppy's was, however, excellent, and we do recommend a meal or two there.
We had one dinner in the hotel, at the Sugarloaf Grill off the lobby at the big windows facing the mountains. This was at once the the most expensive and the worst meal we had in our 10 days in Ireland. We were tired from driving all day, and just didn't want to get back into the car to drive into town. I had the burger. How can anyone, especially a 5 star kitchen, so totally screw up a burger? Puny, dried out, overcooked with a chew roll. $30. My wife had the goat cheese tart; cheap piece of chewy commercial grade puff pastry with a piped on creamy goat cheese filling. Disappointing. $25. We tried to find the humor and irony in this, but, really, for a five star establishment, this was an insult to guest, food, and cookery. We took seriously the warnings of other reviewers about the food at the hotel, so we made sure that we dined outside the hotel most of the time.
We looked at the pub, but did not try it out. It just didn't feel right. It's a pub in a faux Disneyland kind of way. Expensive materials, but too pretty, too neat, no warmth. Also no Irish, no noise, no laughter, no music. Want a pub?....go to the real deal....they're everywhere.
A car came with our deal, and we took full advantage of that. We drove a lot. The roads are narrow, and can get a little confusing. Driving does take a little getting used to. Not much room to spare on the passenger side with hedges and stone walls whizzing by, and not much on the driver's side either. And Irish drivers, accustomed to the roads, coming at you at seemingly breakneck speed. But the beauty and the quiet are magical. Particularly liked Wicklow National Park, where there are several hiking trails. Glendaloch, also a beautiful hike, and an interesting historic site. Beach at Brittas Bay, a spectacularly beautiful drive along the coast. And the wonderful Mount Usher Gardens in Ashford, about a 45 minute drive south.
There's also lots to do on the Powerscourt grounds. Beautiful formal garden. Wonderful river walk. Browse the garden store. Play golf too.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Outstanding among luxury five star hotels in Ireland and set amidst one of the most scenic and historic estates in the country is Powerscourt Hotel, a 194-room resort showcasing Palladian-style architecture and offering guests a host of amenities. Recently named AA Hotel of the Year, two championship golf courses, a 30,000-square foot luxury spa by ESPA, a signature restaurant and traditional Irish pub are among this luxury hotel’s distinctive attractions. Powerscourt Hotel Resort & Spa's Palladian design forms a majestic crescent on the side of one of Ireland's most celebrated valleys. The layout of the seven-storey hotel gives a lot of our rooms and suites views of the remarkable Sugar Loaf Mountain. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Odigeo, Booking.com, Expedia, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com, Hotels.com, HotelsClick, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, 5viajes2012 S.L. and Cancelon so you can book your Powerscourt Hotel, Autograph Collection reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Ritz-Carlton Powerscourt, County Wicklow Hotel Enniskerry
- Ritz Carlton Enniskerry
- Ritz Carlton Hotel Enniskerry
- Ritz Enniskerry
- Enniskerry Ritz-Carlton
- Powerscourt Hotel, Autograph Collection Enniskerry, Ireland - County Wicklow