“5 Star rooms and 5 star service.”

Powerscourt Hotel, Autograph Collection
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Enniskerry
Manchester, United Kingdom
“5 Star rooms and 5 star service.”
Reviewed 6 September 2012

The location of this hotel is fab! Views over the Wicklow mountains & fantastic walks in the grounds help burn off the calories from the very big breakfast. My son and I stayed in a suite so had plenty of space. The rooms are very clean, views amazing, decent size beds with plenty of pillows, great big showers and baths and decent coffee in the refreshment tray. Breakfast is in the restaurant downstairs and this was very good. Pancakes were made for my son and they were delicious. We had dinner in the Gordon Ramsey restaurant and enjoyed the food. There was a wait between courses but only what you would normally get in any good restaurant. I agree with some other reviewers in that it lacks atmosphere but that could be due to the older age of the dinners and the downstairs location. The gym and spa was great- highly recommend. The pool tiles are black and the area dimly lit so it is perfect to chill out in and the pool is big! Spa was superb - book treatments they are worth it! Highly recommend the hotel and will return soon. PS Avoca is further along in the grounds- great place for lunch/picnic snacks.

Room Tip: Suites on high floors have great views.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (590)
  • Polish first
San Jose, California
Reviewed 4 September 2012

A friend and I spent a weekend in August at the hotel, thanks to Marriott points. (Yay!)

We took the bus from Dublin to Enniskerry, and asked at the pub to have the hotel car come pick us up. The driver was friendly and helpful, and we were at the hotel in just a few minutes.

As others have noted, the lobby is plush and comfortable, and the check in process quick and smooth. I noticed a set of portable steps pushed up to the check in desk, and an iPad set up for "Ritz Kids" check in - that was a warm touch for families. (And there were a lot staying that weekend!)

You know how European hotel rooms can be tiny and cramped? Before arriving, we'd worried that we'd be on top of each other for two days. Well, that was so not an issue. We walked in and the first thing we saw was a large room to the right -- the closet! One side for hanging clothes and one side of shelves. A room safe, two plush robes, and a clothes butler in the corner were additional conveniences.

The bathroom was also large, with two sinks, a tub, and a rainfall shower. A fan went on when you closed the shower door! Nice. Do you know what else impressed me? A crystal ring holder on the shelf behind the sink. That little detail told me all about the hotel's attention to its guests.

Beds were very comfortable, the tv had plenty of channels, and although we couldn't figure out how to turn on the light by the reading chair, we appreciated that it was there! LOL

The view out the windows (that actually opened!) was fantastic. We had to force ourselves to not sit there all day to admire the hotel grounds and views beyond.

We didn't eat at any of the hotel eateries except McGill's Pub - the arugula Ceasar salad is delicious! We ate it two nights in a row. The fish and chips there were just okay. The folks working in the pub were busy, but still very friendly. On our first night David took good care of us. He helpfully got the wine list from the "wine bar" and let us order from it. (We laughed about the wine bar that wasn't. Have to admit, that set up is a little odd.) Our second night it was Charlotte whose sweet smile and friendliness made the pub a good place to hang out.

We did have dessert on Sunday night at Gordon Ramsey's restaurant... The profiteroles with mint ice cream were fabulous - but the real star was the very untraditional tiramisu. KILLER.

This is a place I want to stay at again. Every single staffer had a smile and a friendly word for us. The room layout, view, and comfort level were marvelous. The grounds were beautifully kept, and it was an easy walk to Powerscourt Estate in one direction and Enniskerry in the other. We'd get a car next time to allow us to explore more.

This hotel does 5 Star right.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Cali4niaColleen
Lake Forest, Florida
Reviewed 4 September 2012

My wife and I stayed at this magnificent hotel from August 7, 2012 to August 10, 2012 and found the hotel to be excellent in all categories. The rooms are very big. The hotel personnel go out of their way to help you. The view is absolutely spectacular. The food is scrumptious. We love staying at the Ritz Carlton Hotels throughout the world and my wife and I would have to rate this Ritz Carlton as the second best Ritz Carlton that we have ever stayed at in the world. We wanted to visit Dublin. However, the Hotel and the surrounding area was so spectacular, we simply did not have time to visit Dublin. However, we will be back!@!!

Room Tip: If you have a chance to rent a room overlooking the mountains. We did not. However, the room that we...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TravellingRomantics
Hollister, California
Reviewed 4 September 2012

You can book this hotel for tea for your group. It is an impressive place built in a charming country setting.
We were taken to a large room (low ceiling, elegant decor) and enjoyed the cucumber sandwiches, tandoori chicken and chutney wrap slices (like pinwheel sandwiches), roast beef on brioche sliders, scones with clotted cream and jelly (or butter). Tea, coffee, choice of wines, or water were available. Following these came mini fruit tarts and a sort of flan on a shortbread crust which contained a raspberry gel.
17 Americans enjoyed pretending to be elegant while being served by a Polish and a Hungarian waitress. The maitre d'hotel was not Irish either!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
Dublin
Reviewed 3 September 2012

I stayed for one night late last year and while I must concur with the majority that it is a beautiful hotel in a stunning location, I had quibbles with certain fundamental aspects of it.

The welcome was warm and professionalism and check in was swift and efficient. The imposing foyer with its high ceilings, chandeliers, plush sofas, marble floors and well dressed bellboys wheeling brass luggage carriers definately made an impact. Great first impression.

Our double room was large & extremely well appointed - our view of the Sugarloaf Mountain left us in no doubt as to which county we were in, glorious Wicklow. The massive walk in closet had wow factor, the beds were probably the most comfortable I have slept in and the plush upholstery again indicated that we were in a room where no expense had been spared. So far, so 5 star.

We took afternoon tea in the busy back foyer, with it relaxing views of the gardens (and that ole Sugarloaf again). Service was friendly and attentive in just the right measure and we enjoyed our treats.

We didn't avail of the leisure centre or spa treatments so cannot comment on those. What we did notice however was that in order to access them, one had to walk across the very large, busy foyer in one's robe & slippers in full view of other guests. That was offputting for me, I would have felt too exposed.

Dinner- which was going to be the highlight of our stay - was booked for the Gordon Ramsay restaurant down a flight of stairs from the foyer and to cut a long story short, it was a disappointment. The room itself was low ceilinged, drab and looked for all the world like one of those conservatory-esque eateries stuck on to the kind of suburban pub that does a good Sunday carvery. Albet a nice suburban pub. But after the opulence of the foyer and the huge sweeping exterior, we couldn't believe they'd locate the restaurant in such a cramped space, it felt a little claustrophic. The food was tasty and nicely presented but nothing memorable. It most definitely didn't not scream, nor did it even whisper, 'wow, we are dining at the altar of one of Britain's top chefs'. But after our fiasco in Dunbrody a few years ago, it wasn't that surprising - when so called celebrity chefs spread themselves as thinly as these chaps, only a fool would think they are actually in the kitchen cooking your dinner. I would say I've eaten just as well, if not better, in other restaurants that don't trumpet themselves with celebrity connections. However, the waiter (Portuegese, if memory serves) was a delight - helpful, enthusiastic, charming and great fun. Which was just as well, as the other diners were a fairly muted bunch, no doubt over-awed at finding themselves eating in the Ritz Carlton....I couldn't help thinking there was an element of Emperor's New Clothes about it, that just because one was told this was a 5 star dining experience, everyone acted like it was. Or maybe we just chose the only two dull starters and main courses on the menu that evening, who knows?

And therein lies the crux of my dissatisfaction with this hotel. For all of the undeniable magnificence of its architecture, for all the undeniably 5 star comforts of its rooms, and the wonderfully helpful staff, it had - for me anyway - absolutely no atmosphere, and lacked real oomph. There were no little nooks or crannies into which one could disappear with the Irish Times and an Irish Coffee, nor a cosier sitting area than the huge foyer in which to nurse a night cap. We wanted to have a post prandial nightcap but as the bar was playing host to the afters of a fairly rowdy wedding party, it was a no go area for us. So we went up to the foyer to order a drink from there (a la Shelbourne Hotel or any quality hotel we've ever been in). No lounge service in the foyer, to our amazement. Deserted. My companion had to traipse back down the long and winding staircase to the rowdy bar, buy the drinks and carry them up to the (big, empty, etc) foyer....After a meal, that is hardly a relaxing end to one's evening. It put us off having a second drink and we repaired to bed earlier than we may have liked. And sitting in a hotel foyer, people watching and chatting over a night cap, is one of my favourite things to do so I felt a bit short changed.

Breakfast in our room next morning was delicious, could not fault a thing. We kept saying, wow, this is the Ritz Carlton....but for all of that, I wouldn't be in a hurry to go back. It was, for all its bling, less than the sum of its parts.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank barbareile
Phoenix, Arizona, United States
Reviewed 31 August 2012

The Ritz at Powerscourt is a newer hotel situated on the grounds of the Powerscourt Estate just outside Dublin. It is truly one of the most beautiful settings in Ireland, with the gardens next door at the estate, a must see. While I don't play golf, I understand the course is equally amazing.

The rooms are so beautiful and comfortable that when you get off a long flight, you first sink into the most heavenly bed and sleep the night away and wake up totally refreshed.

I like to tell everyone; the Ritz was so delux that even our bags that their own room!. A dressing room off the large bath, allows you to hang everything with ease and really spread out.

Having afternoon tea in the Hotel Lobby was a must every day if you could and dinner at one of several restaruants was always excellent. The spa was also an wonderful experience. Most of all the staff goes out of their way to make you feel special and appreciated. On my second stay I was greeted by the manager, who welcomed me back and insisted he remembered me from my last stay. Of course he didn't, but still they could almost make you believe that!

Powerscourt is an easy drive to almost anywhere near Dublin and was a great base for us to explore. Everytime I go to Ireland, now I try to stay at least one night at the Powerscourt. Truely Heaven on Earth. M.L. Schmit

Room Tip: Ask for a view of Sugar Loaf it at all possible.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Mary S
Paris, France
Reviewed 29 August 2012

Stayed here for a weekend thanks to Ritz Carlton points so it was pretty much free which made it especially delightful! Superb welcome - it feels like they've got the red carpet out just for you :)
Beautfil rooms, in good condition. Service is impeccable - no request is too small. You can hire bikes for free to ride around the area (beware: hilly!!!).
There is a free pick-up service for the closest village so you can go to dinner in one of the nice restaurants there too. Lovely grounds and surrounding countryside.
Pool and jacuzzi were a good size and with lovely zen decoration, unfortunately sauna wasn't working when we were there.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Enniskerry
Druids Glen Hotel & Golf Resort
The Westbury
The Westbury
#7 of 151 in Dublin
Fitzwilliam Hotel Dublin

Been to Powerscourt Hotel, Autograph Collection? Share your experiences!