“Best Christmas ever :-)”

Powerscourt Hotel, Autograph Collection
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Enniskerry
Harleysville, Pennsylvania
“Best Christmas ever :-)”
Reviewed 8 January 2013

My family travelled to Ireland to celebrate Christmas 2012. We had booked 2 rooms - king for my husband and I, and a double for our teenage daughter and son. We had asked for an early check in which they tried to accomodate us with as we arrived on an early am flight from the US. While waiting for our room we toured the hotel, and were given a tour of the spa/pool/fitness areas. The setting for the hotel is wonderful as was the experience. The rooms were very spacious and comfortable, no detail left behind. The decorations for Christmas were unforgettable, especially the huge gingerbread house in the lobby. We ate several times in the Sugar Loaf, had breakfast at the Gordon Ramsey every day, lunch at McGills one day and dinner in the Grand Ballroom for Christmas day. The staff made our stay such a wonderful experience, with their friendly, welcoming service. I didn't even feel like I was in a hotel, more like an extendded family. Thank you everyone at the Ritz Carlton Powerscourt for a very memorable Christmas.

Room Tip: Mountain view rooms have the best view, but I don't believe they have a "bad" room in...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (602)
  • Polish first
New Orleans, Louisiana
Reviewed 8 January 2013

You know when you enter the suite and have to touch a digital screen to turn on the lights and open the drapes, when your suite is bigger than you apartment, and when the bed has more feathers than Big Bird that you have come to the Ritz. When my friends and I booked this hotel through a package with Groupon Getaways, we doubted that things would be as nice as promised. Happily, we were wrong! We got to spend an entire week here, between Christmas and New Year's. From the gingerbread-smelling lobby (because of the lifesize gingerbread house) to the super sweet spa, the Ritz lives up to its brand promise. The staff--impeccable; the room--gorgeous; the location--gorgeous. We didn't mind the short drive to Dublin or even shorter drive to the commuter train Luas. The village of Enniskerry, must a mile down the hill, was also charming and fun. Highly recommend.

Room Tip: If you can get a suite, go for it.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Kim L
england
Reviewed 7 January 2013

We had looked at staying at the Ritz Wicklow back in 2009, but opted to stay in Dublin City, I am so glad that after 3 years we finally decided to visit and enjoy this fantastic hotel. Every staff member works hard and is extremely efficient and helpful. The suites are very large and expansive, featuring a huge wardrobe space and opulent marble bathroom with deep soaking tub.

We stayed for leisure and made a visit to the Spa, which was very quiter when I visited and it was just myself and 2 other guests, I had been afraid of it being very busy after reading some reviews, however this was not the case. We also enjoyed a golf buggy trip around the estate,which was excellent value for money at around 30 euro for 4 hours and allowed us to see lots of the resort.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Reviewed 6 January 2013

We stayed five nights at this hotel. When we first arrived, the man at the reception desk told me we'd been upgraded... we got a corner room with distinct living and bedroom areas and, of course, the incredible bathroom (with a TV in the mirror, though we never used it -- great tub, though, and shower).
The staff were very friendly and interesting to talk to... they came from a variety of countries -- Mexico, Ecuador, Ireland (of course), Turkey, etc., and were all willing to chat and offer help where they could. The concierge also was helpful. Mainly I liked the people who worked the front desk -- they were willing to help however they could, whether calling around to restaurants to find out who served boxties (Gallagher's Boxty House in Dublin!) or answering my many questions. They even remembered us enough to ask how our day was and specific questions about what we had said we would be doing that morning.
The food, for what we had, was very good. We ate room service one night, which was very good, and there was a chocolate dessert that I wish I could have right now. The pot pie was more like a soup, but we figured it was just a cultural difference. The breakfast in the restaurant on the third floor was buffet style and had some traditional offerings, such as fruit and pastries, but also offered smoked salmon, Irish porridge, fresh bread and local yogurts, so that was very good, and they allowed us to take a few extra pastries for the car since we were driving so much. I would say my least favorite experience with the food there was McGills... it was VERY busy, the woman said they were going to stop serving food at 9, but the board outside said 10, and the food was decent but not exceptional. It may have just been an off night, but we didn't end up going there again.
There is a courtesy car that you can request to take you the four minute drive into Enniskerry Village, where you can go to one of two pubs or an Italian restaurant we didn't try. We did end up eating at Mac's Lounge (the better of the two pubs) and would definitely recommend it if you want to have some beef and guinness stew. I hear you could walk back to the hotel, but there are very few lights and if you don't know where you're going, it'd be easy to get lost.
I wish I could speak more about the grounds, but we were out before sunup and back after sundown every day, but the inside of the building was beautifully maintained and since we were there during the holidays, beautifully decorated for the holiday season.
I definitely would travel here again and hope I get a chance to!

Room Tip: Corner rooms are definitely larger!
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LexLea
Eureka, California
Reviewed 5 January 2013

My wife and I spent four nights at this wonderful Ritz Carlton property. The employees were from over 50 different countries, and all were delightful, bringing their unique experiences from around the world. This is a great place to relax! The gardens were gorgeous. We would love to come back! The people of Ireland are wonderful, and most accomodating. Dublin is close by...Avoid the Guiness tour, but the Viking tour is a blast!

Room Tip: Mountain view suite was near perfect.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 4 January 2013

my girlfriend and i stayed here for two nights as our Xmas present to each other. We booked the 1 bed suite and did not know what to expect, i dont even know where to start. the doorway had two entrances (one for your main living area and one for your kitchen) thats right i said kitchen. this room had a huge living area along with a kitchen. the bedroom was the same size on the other half of the room, complete with walk in wardrobe and bathroom with tv built into the mirror. really an ideal place for a couples retreat. unfortunately i left it too late on NYE weekend to arrange a treatment for myself but my girlfriend did and had a great relaxing salt scrub.
the hotel itself is great and the staff very helpful. we had lunch in mcgills while watching the sport. for dinner we decided to taxi upto Jonnie Foxes pub in glencullen only 18.00 flat rate in a taxi and had a good night of live music and traditional irish feast. on the second night we decided to take advantage of our room and had room service which was great. there is also a romantic turn down package available in the room which we only decided against at the last minute. we did walk the grounds also and the pwerscourt gardens and river walk are both worth a trip. these are all within waling ditance of the hotel and the concierge will assist with passes for the river walk. the powerscourt gardens can be paid on entrance. Also worth a trip is the powerscourt waterfall. this is not walking distance away but the hotel again will assist with getting you there.
i would highly recomend this hotel to all visitors both home and abroad.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 January 2013

I have just returned from a two night stay at this hotel. If I have never been to a five star hotel before, i would probably have given the Ritz Carlton in Powerscourt a five star review, but I have and this hotel does not warrant or deserve a five star rating.

Arrival/Check-In: On arrival, the drive through the powerscourt grounds is lovely as you approach the hotel. The outside of the hotel was nothing special, quiet dreary actually. We managed to secure an early check-in which was nice as we had spa treatments booked. Check-in felt rushed and did not ease you into your arrival at the hotel. I had never been to the Ritz-Carlton before and we did not get a tour or talk about the hotel. We were just pointed in the direction of the lifts. Once our bags were delivered to the room, we were again given a very rushed intro to the room and how to use the touch screen pads. I understand that they are busy but to stay in any Ritz-Carlton isn't cheap and they don't reduce their prices during busy periods so service standards should not slip but unfortunately during our stay that's what happened.

Room Type: We checked into a Mountain view suite with two queen beds. The view of the sugar loaf is truly amazing. The room was the best bit about this hotel. It had a separate bedroom and sitting room. Bathroom was nice but the pressure in the shower was poor. It was in the small details in the room where you notice that the Ritz-Carlton is not five star hotel. There were no robes or slippers in the room and very few toiletries in the bathroom. This may not seem like a massive issue but you should not have to ask for these items especially in a five star hotel. We also had to follow the maid out to ask to turn down the beds during the turn-down service.

ESPA: On the website, the spa promises to immerse you in relaxation at their rejuvenating luxury spa. I would not describe this spa as luxury. The treatments were actually very nice and can't be faulted but again it was the check-in that felt rushed. We did not get a tour of the changing rooms, pool area or the thermal suite. I had to again ask our therapist if that was where the pool was. This spa really falls down in its surroundings. I have previously been to the ESPA in the Europe Hotel, Killarney which was immaculate in comparison to this place. You only got one towel. There were no spare towels in the thermal areas either upstairs or downstairs. Again we had to go out and tell staff about the fact that there were no towels. I have been to quiet a few spas where this is not an issue, new towels, toiletries, robes, slippers all appear by magic, but here that's not the case. The deck of the main pool was very untidy, with no towels and used glasses left everywhere. My sister actually said that she'd love to get out the pool to give the desk a good clean, not exactly what you should be thinking when you are in a five star property. In the thermal suites both upstairs and downstairs, again no towels and basket overflowing with used towels. On occasion while in the female changing rooms, a lady in a suit came apologizing for the heaps of used towels, but all she said was that they were busy! Hardly an excuse in such a property. Again there was no shampoo or conditioner in the shower I was in. Staff couldn't have cared less about the fact there were no towels or shampoo or conditioner when informed.

Breakfast: This was an absolute disaster on both mornings. When I check into hotels, I always look forward to breakfast. Here it was not at all nice. On the first morning, we had a slight wait which I didn't mind. We were shown to our table and told that we should go to the buffet section and on our return our table would be ready. The buffet section is very small and the selection was not great. There was no water, no glasses and no smaller side plates. We got no intro to the buffet. To make things worse when we came back to our table, people were sitting at our table. When I told a member of staff, again they did not really care. This is the last thing I expected at this hotel. We were moved to a small room that seemed like a through way for staff. My sister had to return her Eggs benedict as they were not cooked correctly. This is the first time we have ever had to return any food in any hotel. When we returned it, again staff did not really care. I would have at least expected a query as to why we had returned the dish, I'd assume that it does happen regularly. On the second morning, they had plenty of glasses and plates. We again had to ask for cups for our tea and cutlery. Just not a very pleasant experience and last thing I expected. I've been lesser hotels that deal with breakfast more effectively.

Gordan Ramsey Restaurant: This was actually really nice. Service was great and food was lovely. There do have a vegetarian menu but you have to ask for it separately.

Comment/Feedback Cards: I completed feedback cards in both the spa and in the room. Just a small note, they do not have boxes or places to put the cards, which is strange. It's as if they don't really want your feedback.

Check-Out: On check out, we explained all of the above to the receptionist, Kate. She was the first member of staff that we met during our stay that seemed to want to help and listen, a bit late as we were checking out. She managed to get a nominal amount taken from the bill. This should not have had to happened in the first place. During our whole stay, we kept having to ask for everything. I now realise that true 5 star hotels, anticipate your needs and have everything in place without having to ask. The Ritz-Carlton does not meet this requirement.

This hotel just does not do busy. This is unacceptable when you consider what you are asked to pay for their services. Maybe if you go on an off peak time, service and standards would be perfectly fine. However, we didn't and experienced the above. I would not return to the Ritz-Carlton again. I hope others have a better experience than we did.

If you are looking for better hotels, try The Merrion in Dublin or Monart in Wexford.

Room Tip: - Mountain view room - Check that robes and slippers are in your room.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Airgetlam
Also consider these accommodations in or near Enniskerry
Druids Glen Hotel & Golf Resort
#6 of 151 in Dublin
Glenview Hotel
Glenview Hotel
#1 of 1 in Glen Of The Downs

Been to Powerscourt Hotel, Autograph Collection? Share your experiences!