“first time to Ireland, first stay at Powerscourt”

Powerscourt Hotel, Autograph Collection
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Enniskerry
Reviewed 23 October 2013

Service was excellent. Facilities exceptional. Nothing left out. We had a suite on the main level and it was great. Big, big room with big living room, huge walk-in closet, and of course, elegant marble and tile master bath with walk-in shower (marble/tile) with rain head and TV in the dual vanity mirror. Huge king bed was extremely comfortable with downy pillows. Pool and spa was amazing. Made us want to go get our suits on immediately and enjoy the gigantic whirlpool, large pool with lounge chairs all around, in a great romantic atmosphere. Steam room felt great and the locker even had a bathing suit drying machine. Staff was extremely friendly and took care of every need, and want. Grounds of the gardens, gift shops and cafe on the grounds were all terrific. Beautiful scenery, setting and serenity. I didn't want to leave.

Room Tip: Stay on the main level. Easy to get wherever you want to go. We were only steps from the dining ro...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (2,657)

Reviewed 19 October 2013

This was the last stop on the trip, and we saved the best for last. Beautiful rooms and friendly, helpful staff. We took bicycles out the first day and were a little disappointed at how run-down they were, but aside from that we couldn't complain. We ate at the pub one night and ordered room service the next. The nearby town was charming and it was easy to take the commuter train into Dublin from the Bray stop. I wish we could have stayed longer.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Slizsen
Reviewed 18 October 2013

Absolutely amazing hotel very professional staff nothing was too much trouble. Fantastic food in all restaurants especially Gordon Ramsey's. Buffet breakfast must of had 60 different items all perfectly prepared. The only let down was the afternoon tea not quite the standard you would expect difficult to get some sandwich fillings changed and a little bit rushed. Overall highly recommended for that special occasion.

Room Tip: Pay the extra and get a balcony suite
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank simong4536
Reviewed 16 October 2013

I booked our stay months ago through Marriott Rewards when it was still a Ritz-Carlton property. Unbeknownst to me, the hotel was in the process of being sold. On October 1st, 2013, it ceased being a Ritz hotel and, with it, Gordon Ramsay's restaurant stopped operating. The hotel is still a Marriott but is now just Powerscourt Hotel and Ramsay's chefs are cooking under a new restaurant called Sika. I was a little disappointed about this but the well-appointed suite, the beautiful grounds, the turn-down service with yummy chocolates, and the horses more than made up for the disappointment. Sika is an outstanding restaurant with reasonable prices. The service was a bit slow and the chef made a mistake with our order: he prepared beef instead of lamb for our entrees so we had to wait while the lamb was being cooked. The food was delicious!
We stayed in a one-bedroom suite. The room was beautiful and the bathroom had both a jet spray as well as a rainforest shower. There is a big closet space with floor to ceiling closets. This is a separate area near the front foyer. Lights, temperature and window drape controls are all electronic using touch pads.
Powerscourt is 30-45 minutes away from Dublin. We rented a car. I have to take one star from my rating because of the distance from Dublin.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank WanderingAmerican
Reviewed 15 October 2013

We live in Dublin and decided on a last minute whim, to head away for a night to the Powerscourt Hotel in Enniskerry. We love the scenery in Wicklow and the location of the Powerscourt and the views do not disappoint. Our room was beautiful, spacious, and spotless, with a lovely view over the front of the hotel. We were disappointed to find that there was no record of our request for a late check-out but didn’t want to make an issue of it as we had just arrived and were looking forward to a relaxing night away. We headed to the pool/spa area in the afternoon which we enjoyed. I had a massage treatment booked for 4.15pm and checked in with spa reception at 4.10pm but between the jigs and the reels, it wasn’t logged on the system that I had checked in so when the girl who was performing my treatment realised I was waiting for her, it was then 4:40pm and she didn’t have enough time for my 50min treatment (in the meantime I had been left alone in a corridor waiting and it was only by chance I was noticed). I was offered the option of a free back massage and to come back the following day for the treatment I’d booked but that didn’t suit as we’d made plans for the Sunday. In the end, I got a free 15 min back massage in lieu of my appointment. While it was disappointing, once they realised their mistake I felt the issue was handled well and the Manager did come and speak to me and apologise so I was happy with how it was handled.

That night we headed to McGill’s bar for food and a few drinks. The options on the menu are limited but I went for the curry which was pretty bland. The pub was fairly busy with a good atmosphere and would recommend it for a few drinks but would suggest to either eat in the restaurant or go to the local village for dinner.

On Sunday, we headed down for breakfast around 9am and we had the place to ourselves which was lovely. Thoroughly enjoyed the breakfast. There was a great range of food including plenty of pastries/cakes to satisfy a sweet tooth! We’d a lovely table by the window and sat for over an hour, eating and reading the papers – heaven! We then checked out and were told the breakfast wasn’t included in the offer and that there was an additional €56 on our bill. We were confident this was incorrect and that our deal had included breakfast but had discarded our booking reference details in the bin in the room. They allowed us to go back to the room and recover it and yes our reference confirmed that breakfast had in fact been included. Once again, they apologised etc. for the mix-up. but after the appointment issue on the Saturday, it was additional hassle we didn’t need and not the sort of basic error you would expect at a 3, 4 or 5* hotel.

While there were elements of the trip that we enjoyed and the hotel certainly has great potential, taking the basic errors above into consideration (all of which occurred in the space of a one night stay) it is certainly not becoming of a 5 star experience.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Brazilbrush
Reviewed 14 October 2013

My husband and I have just returned from an over night stay at the very gorgeous Powerscourt Hotel!! On arrival we were greeted wonderfully on check in and our room was ready we had a fabulous room on the 6th floor a king mountain view suite it was so very beautiful and spacious I could of moved in and stayed and it was exceptionally clean! The suite had 2 bathrooms and a gorgeous wrap around balcony just pure luxury!! As it was our anniversary the Hotel had a beautiful plate of chocolates delivered to our room with compliments and a lovely letter wishing us a very happy anniversary and birthday for myself a very nice personal touch!! the Hotel is very beautiful and the grounds are simply stunning go early and take in all the lovely walks and gorgeous village of Enniskerry it is so cute and a quaint little Irish village. The Irish pub in the Hotel McGills is brilliant and a very .irish pub it had gorgeous food have the potatoe skins which are simply Devine and the bar staff are brilliant very friendly. We eat in the main resturant which you must book when booking the Hotel as it gets booked up very fast. it's just lovely the food is beautiful just beware that the water they offer you at the start of the meal will cost you 6 euro a bottle and also when they offer you "bubbles" you will be charged 10 euro a glass each just check your bill the next day if it's for you great but just to let you know! the food and service is really outstanding and I would not of had such a lovely meal in a long time! The breakfast is fabulous and the leisure pool area is just beautiful! In general it is a very romantic Hotel with fabulous views and a really beautiful .part if Ireland to visit with exceptionally good management and staff who really go the extra mile to ensure a very pleasant memorable stay!! Thank you especially to Roberto who looked after us with via email before hand and helped in making our anniversary very special!! I just can't wait to back again and be spoilt!!! Thank you Powerscourt Hotel!!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank aussiegirlireland
Reviewed 14 October 2013

Looking from the outside you would think this hotel and a 4 year old child would not be a good mix. Nothing could be further from the truth! From the minute we pulled up at the door my little man was treated as if he was the most important person they had staying there.
Attention to detail in this hotel is impeccable, they have thought of everything and staff go out of their way to make sure your stay is a memorable one.
There is no such thing as a perfect hotel but in my opinion Powerscourt comes as close as you can get.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Travellerscharm
Also consider these accommodations in or near Enniskerry
Druids Glen Hotel & Golf Resort
#7 of 150 in Dublin
The Marker Hotel
The Marker Hotel
#2 of 150 in Dublin

Been to Powerscourt Hotel, Autograph Collection? Share your experiences!