First off, there is much to recommend this lovely hotel with a kind and friendly staff. During our stay the hotel apparently had just transitioned from being a Ritz Carlton Hotel, so I attribute our issues to the changeover. If you are staying there in the future, I would recommend checking reviews after the transition to see if these issues still remain.
We booked using my husband's Platinum card for the benefits. This was one of the smartest things we EVER did. The room upgrade we received stunned us - we were given a corner room suite with a fabulous view facing Sugar Loaf mountain. We had NO complaints about the room itself which was spacious to the point of crazy, yet very comfortable and practical. The only caution to know was the drain in the shower was inadequate for the water coming from the shower with no lip between the door and floor, so we ended up with a huge puddle of water on the bathroom floor. Needed to use a couple of towels to mop up and dam all that water! Bath tub was like a spa, so there was an alternative. :) We also enjoyed our breakfasts that came with the Platinum card upgrades. We felt there was plenty of choice to suit our dietary needs. We both especially liked the poached spiced fruit, small scones and eggs (whites) made to order.
We loved walking the grounds and down to the village. Powerscourt Gardens is only a short walk away and worth spending a relaxing time wandering there. The hotel's location alone is enough to draw us back.
Our issues concerned dinner dining. We checked in on a Monday and were shown where the bar and restaurant dining areas were but NOT told that only the mezzanine informal dining was open on Monday. We had a light snack upon arrival, planning to try the formal restaurant that evening. It was not so convenient to find ourselves back at the same place with the same limited menu a few hours later. We would have just had a heartier meal earlier in the day had we known, and the pub was also closed as were nearby village eateries by that late in the evening. WARNING: Limited dining options on Monday evenings, and they may not tell you this!
Second dining warning - while the room service we used the second night (everything closes at 10 pm, with no village alternatives) was prompt and the sandwich ok - Never, ever order the pizza there. Never. I didn't expect perfect pizza but what I got can best be described as a frozen, not fully cooked item, that tasted like white bread with ketchup on top, with huge hunks of mushy tomato and greasy cheese. It was inedible. And expensive. It would have had better flavor had it been burnt. Frankly shocking that a hotel of this quality would serve it and charge 18 euros for it.
We also had a little trouble getting our car parked and retrieved. We solved this by self parking most of the visit, which was not a problem at all, once you know.
All in all we loved our stay. We would return, but maybe bring sandwiches. :)
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Powerscourt Hotel, Autograph Collection offers outstanding luxury among 5-star hotels in Wicklow, Ireland. We are set amidst one of the most scenic and historic estates in the country, providing travellers with a a 200-room resort showcasing Palladian-style architecture and giving guests a host of amenities. At our hotel nestled in the hills of Enniskerry, 30 minutes from Dublin, you will find a spa, Powerscourt Golf Club, on-site restaurant and perfect accommodations offering easy access to rustic Enniskerry and all of County Wicklow. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Agoda, Odigeo, TripOnline SA, Expedia, Hotels.com, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, 5viajes2012 S.L., HotelsClick, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your Powerscourt Hotel, Autograph Collection reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Ritz-Carlton Powerscourt, County Wicklow Hotel Enniskerry
- Ritz Carlton Enniskerry
- Ritz Carlton Hotel Enniskerry
- Ritz Enniskerry
- Enniskerry Ritz-Carlton
- Powerscourt Hotel, Autograph Collection Enniskerry, Ireland - County Wicklow