“Beautiful Property, Terrible Service”

Powerscourt Hotel, Autograph Collection
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Enniskerry
Washington, DC
“Beautiful Property, Terrible Service”
Reviewed 24 April 2014

We stayed here only for one night. We were in Dublin before and after my night here and I wish we hadn't wasted money on this hotel. The property and our room were very attractive; however, that is where the good points ended. During my visit there was a lot of waiting -- more than almost any hotel that I have visited before. There was a wait to be shown to the room. At the bar, there was a 15-minute wait to be served at a table even though two staff members were serving three patrons. This was followed by listening to the waitress and the staff behind the bar mock my pronunciation of a word and a 45-minute wait for the wait staff to check-in with us again. They never did so we had to ask for the bill at the bar even though they were not busy at all and we probably would have ordered another drink. We then went to the pub for dinner. Again, there was a significant wait to order food, for food to come, and to get the bill. After dinner, we went to the front desk to ask a question about the area. There were three staff members discussing something with one other guest. After waiting for 10 minutes, we simply skipped the question and decided to head back to Dublin early. I wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank nycvillage25
David W, General Manager at Powerscourt Hotel, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 1 May 2014
Dear nycvillage25,

Many thanks for your review of our hotel and your feedback on your stay.

While it is always nice to hear positive comments of a guest's stay at the hotel, we do appreciate hearing from our guests regarding the areas we could improve on in the hotel.

My apologies that you experienced a lot of delays during your stay and that you found the behaviour of one of our staff members to be disrespectful. I am disappointed that a staff member was discourteous toward you, and I have spoken to all teams to remind them of the high levels of service and politeness that we expect them to display at all times.

I have also spoken with our Food & Beverage teams to address the issues you have identified, and I have re-emphasised that our guests should be served in an efficient manner.

I do hope that we get the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future, and that your experience will be one which you remember for all the right reasons.

David Webster

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (571)
  • Polish first
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 24 April 2014

Our stay was a wedding gift from friends... what a gift it turned out to be! This is a stunning hotel in a very beautiful setting. Our room was the nicest we've encountered (and we've stayed in some great hotels) - very spacious, a huge bathroom and the fancy bed and bowl for the dog made us laugh - he got the five star treatment as well! We had a guide dog, but their general pet-friendly policy is very impressive - and it was lovely to see other guests with pets. The lobby is gorgeous, with fireside sofas. Breakfast was top notch - extensive buffet and lovely items to order also. Service was great - everyone we dealt with was so warm and welcoming and looked after us so well, yet not intrusive or overpowering as can be the case in some five star hotels. We ate in the bar, but are looking forward to trying out the fine dining restaurant next time. Time also didn't allow a visit to the spa.... a great excuse to go back!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Dee-Fahy
David W, General Manager at Powerscourt Hotel, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 25 April 2014
Dear Fanai,

Many thanks for your lovely review of our hotel.

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your gift, and many congratulations on your wedding! It is great to hear that you and your dog had a pleasant stay with us, and we look forward to welcoming you back to experience Sika and our wonderful ESPA.

Drogheda, Ireland
Reviewed 24 April 2014

5 star property, at best 4 star service. Stunning property with great amenities, but very poor staff training and certainly not up to 5 star standard. On arrival we were not offered any information about facilities or restaurants until we asked - left to find room ourselves without any assistance for luggage. The room was large, spotlessly clean and very well appointed - probably the best thing about our stay. Several areas had clearly not been vacuumed for days: around reception, outside the Sika restaurant and in the spa reception area. The cooked items at the breakfast buffet were served luke warm, as was the coffee. Again waiting staff at breakfast were not trained to five star standard.
On the outside, the building needs attention, definately ready for a paint. Guest car parks are being used by staff. Why put a staff smoking area right next to a guest car park?

In summary: the management are depending on the impressive building to cover up for poor training.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Pittland
Dear Pittland,

Many thanks for taking the time to write this review of your stay at our hotel.

I appreciate your comments regarding the service and breakfast offering. We have ordered a new hot breakfast plate and breakfast buffet equipment which will improve the hot buffet offering. These will be in place shortly.

Our maintenance team is currently scheduling a time to paint the hotel exterior. We have had to wait until the Spring to do so, as we needed the weather to improve.

The location of the staff smoking area is currently being reviewed, but as an interim measure we have now placed bushes around it to hide it from view of guests. Staff have also been reminded to use the staff car park at all times.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future, so that you may experience our usual high level of service and leave having had a positive experience.

Ireland
Reviewed 23 April 2014 via mobile

Had a wonderful stay here over the Easter break. The hotel even had two resident rabbits and a couple of gerbils in the lobby which were brought in especially for the weekend- my inner child loved it!

Rooms are fabulous - a large super comfy king sized bed and huge bathroom with double sinks, large bath and separate shower. They also have touchscreen technology to adjust the aircon or turn on/ off the lights, which was pretty cool. A few nitpicks were 1. The charges for a movie or to listen to music were extortionate- €11.50 for a movie, even movies a few years old and €5.50 to listen to an album, and worse there was no MTV or similar music channels on the TV. 2. I was initially so excited by the iPhone docking station beside the bed, until I realised it didn't work with the iPhone 5! Probably Apple's fault, rather than the hotel's, but still!!

The hotel is located on powerscourt estate in Wicklow, the garden of Ireland and the views of the mountains, forest and lakes from the hotel are simply stunning. There are fabulous runs, walks and hikes that start right from the hotel - a great way to pass a few hours, or the whole day.

In inclement weather, there's a good spa onsite, as well as a pool and hammam suite. We popped down to the pool in the early evening on a bank holiday weekend and it was overrun with kids... their excited screams exacerbated by a low roof, so best avoided til later.

The sugar loaf lounge is a charming space for a few cocktails, a bite to eat or afternoon tea. The floor to ceiling windows overlook sugar loaf mountain- very scenic and romantic.

Food in the hotel restaurants is very good and pricey, as you would expect in a five star hotel. Service is impeccable and the staff are happy and pleasant.

Breakfast is disappointing for a hotel of this quality. Anywhere else, I would be happy with a buffet style breakfast of this type, but having experienced the vast range and quality of the breakfast offering of similar five star hotels, it simply just doesn't compare.

Overall, I would definitely stay again- the luxurious surroundings and views of this hotel are hard to beat.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank whisper_6
David W, General Manager at Powerscourt Hotel, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 28 April 2014
Dear whisper_6,

Many thanks for the lovely review of your stay at Powerscourt.

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your Easter break with us. The rabbits and gerbils were definitely a winner with our guests!

Your description of the runs and walks as well as the views on the Estate is wonderful to hear. The pool is open to children between 9am-12pm and 3pm-6pm, so during the holidays it can be a livelier scene than it usually is. I hope you got to enjoy it at a quieter time during your stay.

I am glad to hear that the food and service in our Lounge and Restaurant lived up to your expectations. My apologies that you found the breakfast to be of a lower quality than you had expected. We usually receive positive feedback on our buffet selection so I will review this with our Food & Beverage team to identify what issues were had.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 21 April 2014

I stayed here for a Conference.
The hotel is located in a very picturesque part of Ireland, close by the Sugerloaf mountain, Powerscourt waterfall and the quaint village of Enniskerry. The hotel is finished to the highest standard and even though it has been recently built it does not look out of place on this historic estate.
The lobby is spacious and very well finished, the bedroom I was given was to the highest standard with impressive use of technology and comfort. The food at the Conference dinner was also very impressive as was the lunch and snacks which were served throughout the event. The breakfast was served in the main dining room overlooking the gardens and the selection was impressive.
Overall the facilities were superb as was the view. The service was very good but could have been better. When I requested a private dining option over breakfast for some VIP guests I was told no and had to ask three times to get some other options. I did not feel that this was 5 star service, but this is the only criticism I would have.

Room Tip: Room at one side of the hotel enjoy the magnificent view, be sure to request this when booking in.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Daragh H
Dear Daragh H,

Many thanks for taking the time to write this great review of our hotel.

I am delighted that the food, service and facilities you experienced contributed to a positive experience during your Conference at the hotel.

My apologies that you experienced some difficulties when trying to arrange the private breakfast option for your VIP guests. I have asked the teams involved to inform me of the exact issue that was had.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future, whether for business or leisure.

Reviewed 21 April 2014

Stayed at the hotel on 18th April for one night. It was only when we were shown to our room that we realised we were upgraded to a suite. It was out of this world, a huge luxurious room. However I'm sure all the rooms are of the same high quality. The pool was so beautiful, very zen like. We had a gorgeous meal in the Sika restaurant. The taste and presentation of the food was excellent. The wine list was excellent, but I felt that by having only 1 bottle to choose from at your starter price of €36.00 was disappointing. Service was excellent overall, maybe just a little slow at the lounge areas by the fires. I felt at times we were forgotten about. Overall a fabulous stay, and will definitely return in the winter.

• Stayed April 2014
2 Thank BeeHappyTravaller
Dear BeeHappy,

Many thanks for this lovely review of our hotel.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and that our staff and service lived up to your expectations.

We are currently reviewing our wine list for Sika, so you may find it altered when you next visit. I have also noted your comment about the service by the fires in the lounge area and have discussed this feedback with our team in the Lounge.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the winter.

Studley, Warwickshire UK
Reviewed 18 April 2014 via mobile

Stayed for 2 nights 16 and 17 April 2014. The hotel is very well situated on the Powerscourt estate, with the house and fantastic gardens a short stroll away and adjoining two championship golf courses. We were allocated a room on the fifth floor with a fantastic view of the Sugarloaf mountain. The room was spacious, comfortable, well presented giving a feeling of indulgent luxury. (Yes the TV screen in the bathroom mirror is amazing) The attention to detail continued throughout all areas of the hotel.Very impressive. All the staff we came in contact with were professional, looked smart and were very helpful. We struggled to find anything that could attract criticism. We have stayed in a number of top hotels around the world and consider this to be one of the best.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Blue2267
Dear Blue2267,

Many thanks for taking the time to write this lovely review of our hotel.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and that our rooms, attention to detail and staff all contributed to a memorable stay for you. To hear that you would consider us one of the best hotels you have stayed in is lovely - we really can't receive a much greater compliment than that!

We look forward to welcoming you again in the future.

Laura
Also consider these accommodations in or near Enniskerry
Druids Glen Hotel & Golf Resort
The Shelbourne Dublin, A Renaissance Hotel
Glenview Hotel
Glenview Hotel
#1 of 1 in Glen Of The Downs

Been to Powerscourt Hotel, Autograph Collection? Share your experiences!