“Stunning property, special experience”

Powerscourt Hotel, Autograph Collection
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Enniskerry
Reviewed 27 April 2014

My daughter and I stayed here for two days as we concluded our trip to Ireland. What a way to end our trip! This hotel is absolutely beautiful - one of the prettiest places I've seen. The grounds are perfect for walking and there are so many opportunities to take beautiful pictures. We were upgraded to a suite and, seriously, the room was bigger than most apartments - dining room, living room, kitchen - HUGE bathroom - it was phenomenal. So was our view. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful as well. The one slight negative I'd say is that the spa treatments my daughter and I had (mani/pedi and swedish massages) were not up to par. The mani-pedis were a little messy and the massages were just so-so. But overall a fantastic place to stay - and not too far from Dublin.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank alwaystraveling74
David W, General Manager at Powerscourt Hotel, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 28 April 2014

Dear alwaystravelling74,

Many thanks for your wonderful review of your stay here at Powerscourt.

I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your visit and that it was a memorable end to your trip. Thank you for your lovely comments regarding your Suite, the facilities and our staff.
I am sorry that the experience you and your daughter had in the spa was below par, and I have brought this to the attention of our Spa Manager who will look in to it further.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Warm Regards
David Webster

Write a ReviewReviews (2,654)

Reviewed 25 April 2014

Stayed here late March for 6 nights. Excellent facilities just like what you would expect from a Ritz Carlton. We are lucky as we had a Groupon package (w/ fight, hotel and rental car) so we didn't pay the full price.

The breakfast buffet is unreal. Everything is top quality (even the milk and sugar).

Do make sure you save time for the swimming pool (indoor). It is a beautiful pool and the hot tub is awesome. I went there an hour before closing and I had the place all by myself.

If you want to avoid expensive meals you can drive 5 min to Enniskerry for some really good choices or another 15 min to Bray and the international crusine is right in front of your eyes. Tesco supermarket is a bit of a drive if you want to go super cheap.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank lawrry

Dear lawrry,

Many thanks for taking the time to review our hotel.

I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and hope to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 25 April 2014

Firstly we really enjoyed our stay here last weekend but there were good points and some not so good. The positives were the staff were very nice and helpful, food in the sugar loaf lounge was pretty good and the bedroom was very nice room. The grounds are very nice and the walks around Enniskerry are lovely. The main negative was the breakfast which was very very poor for a five star hotel. I have had a lot better breakfasts in 2 star places with the hot food pretty basic and only buffet with no omlettes etc on offer. The rest of the selection was very poor like breads, fruit, yogurts etc and the cereals and porridge was terrible. Also the mini bar in the room was ridiculous; €5 for a bottle of water. This is not 5 star any more in my opinion but still a nice place for a weekend away if the package is right.

Room Tip: I'm sure this is dependent on the room you pick. All the delexe rooms are nice inside but we had...
2  Thank nryan33
David W, General Manager at Powerscourt Hotel, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 1 May 2014

Dear nryan33,

Many thanks for taking the time to write this review and provide us with feedback of your stay.

I am glad that you found the staff to be nice and helpful and that the food in the Sugar Loaf Lounge was to your satisfaction. I am sorry to hear, however, that the breakfast did not live up to your expectations and that you found it to be below par.

I am currently reviewing your feedback with our culinary team.

We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the future, when you will hopefully leave with a better opinion of our breakfast offering.

Warm Regards.

Reviewed 24 April 2014

We stayed here only for one night. We were in Dublin before and after my night here and I wish we hadn't wasted money on this hotel. The property and our room were very attractive; however, that is where the good points ended. During my visit there was a lot of waiting -- more than almost any hotel that I have visited before. There was a wait to be shown to the room. At the bar, there was a 15-minute wait to be served at a table even though two staff members were serving three patrons. This was followed by listening to the waitress and the staff behind the bar mock my pronunciation of a word and a 45-minute wait for the wait staff to check-in with us again. They never did so we had to ask for the bill at the bar even though they were not busy at all and we probably would have ordered another drink. We then went to the pub for dinner. Again, there was a significant wait to order food, for food to come, and to get the bill. After dinner, we went to the front desk to ask a question about the area. There were three staff members discussing something with one other guest. After waiting for 10 minutes, we simply skipped the question and decided to head back to Dublin early. I wouldn't stay here again.

3  Thank nycvillage25

Dear nycvillage25,

Many thanks for your review of our hotel and your feedback on your stay.

While it is always nice to hear positive comments of a guest's stay at the hotel, we do appreciate hearing from our guests regarding the areas we could improve on in the hotel.

My apologies that you experienced a lot of delays during your stay and that you found the behaviour of one of our staff members to be disrespectful. I am disappointed that a staff member was discourteous toward you, and I have spoken to all teams to remind them of the high levels of service and politeness that we expect them to display at all times.

I have also spoken with our Food & Beverage teams to address the issues you have identified, and I have re-emphasised that our guests should be served in an efficient manner.

I do hope that we get the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future, and that your experience will be one which you remember for all the right reasons.

Reviewed 24 April 2014

Our stay was a wedding gift from friends... what a gift it turned out to be! This is a stunning hotel in a very beautiful setting. Our room was the nicest we've encountered (and we've stayed in some great hotels) - very spacious, a huge bathroom and the fancy bed and bowl for the dog made us laugh - he got the five star treatment as well! We had a guide dog, but their general pet-friendly policy is very impressive - and it was lovely to see other guests with pets. The lobby is gorgeous, with fireside sofas. Breakfast was top notch - extensive buffet and lovely items to order also. Service was great - everyone we dealt with was so warm and welcoming and looked after us so well, yet not intrusive or overpowering as can be the case in some five star hotels. We ate in the bar, but are looking forward to trying out the fine dining restaurant next time. Time also didn't allow a visit to the spa.... a great excuse to go back!

1  Thank Dee-Fahy
David W, General Manager at Powerscourt Hotel, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 25 April 2014

Dear Fanai,

Many thanks for your lovely review of our hotel.

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your gift, and many congratulations on your wedding! It is great to hear that you and your dog had a pleasant stay with us, and we look forward to welcoming you back to experience Sika and our wonderful ESPA.

Reviewed 24 April 2014

5 star property, at best 4 star service. Stunning property with great amenities, but very poor staff training and certainly not up to 5 star standard. On arrival we were not offered any information about facilities or restaurants until we asked - left to find room ourselves without any assistance for luggage. The room was large, spotlessly clean and very well appointed - probably the best thing about our stay. Several areas had clearly not been vacuumed for days: around reception, outside the Sika restaurant and in the spa reception area. The cooked items at the breakfast buffet were served luke warm, as was the coffee. Again waiting staff at breakfast were not trained to five star standard.
On the outside, the building needs attention, definately ready for a paint. Guest car parks are being used by staff. Why put a staff smoking area right next to a guest car park?

In summary: the management are depending on the impressive building to cover up for poor training.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Pittland

Dear Pittland,

Many thanks for taking the time to write this review of your stay at our hotel.

I appreciate your comments regarding the service and breakfast offering. We have ordered a new hot breakfast plate and breakfast buffet equipment which will improve the hot buffet offering. These will be in place shortly.

Our maintenance team is currently scheduling a time to paint the hotel exterior. We have had to wait until the Spring to do so, as we needed the weather to improve.

The location of the staff smoking area is currently being reviewed, but as an interim measure we have now placed bushes around it to hide it from view of guests. Staff have also been reminded to use the staff car park at all times.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future, so that you may experience our usual high level of service and leave having had a positive experience.

Warm Regards

Reviewed 23 April 2014 via mobile

Had a wonderful stay here over the Easter break. The hotel even had two resident rabbits and a couple of gerbils in the lobby which were brought in especially for the weekend- my inner child loved it!

Rooms are fabulous - a large super comfy king sized bed and huge bathroom with double sinks, large bath and separate shower. They also have touchscreen technology to adjust the aircon or turn on/ off the lights, which was pretty cool. A few nitpicks were 1. The charges for a movie or to listen to music were extortionate- €11.50 for a movie, even movies a few years old and €5.50 to listen to an album, and worse there was no MTV or similar music channels on the TV. 2. I was initially so excited by the iPhone docking station beside the bed, until I realised it didn't work with the iPhone 5! Probably Apple's fault, rather than the hotel's, but still!!

The hotel is located on powerscourt estate in Wicklow, the garden of Ireland and the views of the mountains, forest and lakes from the hotel are simply stunning. There are fabulous runs, walks and hikes that start right from the hotel - a great way to pass a few hours, or the whole day.

In inclement weather, there's a good spa onsite, as well as a pool and hammam suite. We popped down to the pool in the early evening on a bank holiday weekend and it was overrun with kids... their excited screams exacerbated by a low roof, so best avoided til later.

The sugar loaf lounge is a charming space for a few cocktails, a bite to eat or afternoon tea. The floor to ceiling windows overlook sugar loaf mountain- very scenic and romantic.

Food in the hotel restaurants is very good and pricey, as you would expect in a five star hotel. Service is impeccable and the staff are happy and pleasant.

Breakfast is disappointing for a hotel of this quality. Anywhere else, I would be happy with a buffet style breakfast of this type, but having experienced the vast range and quality of the breakfast offering of similar five star hotels, it simply just doesn't compare.

Overall, I would definitely stay again- the luxurious surroundings and views of this hotel are hard to beat.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank whisper_6

Dear whisper_6,

Many thanks for the lovely review of your stay at Powerscourt.

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your Easter break with us. The rabbits and gerbils were definitely a winner with our guests!

Your description of the runs and walks as well as the views on the Estate is wonderful to hear. The pool is open to children between 9am-12pm and 3pm-6pm, so during the holidays it can be a livelier scene than it usually is. I hope you got to enjoy it at a quieter time during your stay.

I am glad to hear that the food and service in our Lounge and Restaurant lived up to your expectations. My apologies that you found the breakfast to be of a lower quality than you had expected. We usually receive positive feedback on our buffet selection so I will review this with our Food & Beverage team to identify what issues were had.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

David Webster

Also consider these accommodations in or near Enniskerry
Druids Glen Hotel & Golf Resort
#7 of 150 in Dublin
The Marker Hotel
The Marker Hotel
#2 of 150 in Dublin

Been to Powerscourt Hotel, Autograph Collection? Share your experiences!