For our first trip to Ireland, my wife & I decided to homebase ourselves and do daytrips to see a number of attractions. We thought, "heck Ireland's not so big, we can drive anywhere we want and return easily" Well, that was a bit of presumption, but that's another story altogether. On to the hotel.
As noted above, this used to be a Ritz-Carlton property, and as such it was beautifully appointed, very clean throughout, and staffed by attentive and friendly employees. We knew from research online that it was likely to be a very nice place, but we didn't expect to have such luxurious accommodations. Our room wasn't even one of the high-end ones, no suite or anything, and yet it was furnished with a very comfortable king bed, all-marble bath, nice coffee bar, walk-in closet, and huge windows.
Like lawrry's review from March, we also had an all-inclusive package from Groupon that included the airfare, car, and the room, so I'm sure we didn't pay full-rate. In fact I haven't looked at their normal booking prices, but I would still recommend this hotel to anyone, even without knowing what that price might be. It's just that nice.
We didn't take advantage of much of the hotel's offerings. Didn't use the spa, the pool, didn't play golf, and only ate once in their on-site pub, McGill's. Because we were more interested in experiencing Ireland close-up, we ate breakfast and dinner elsewhere most of the time, interacting with the locals as much as we could. Had we intended to use the hotel as our destination and not simply as sleeping quarters, I'm sure we would have been just as delighted, and would no doubt have taken full advantage of their amenities.
My bottom line: Wonderful place, located far enough away from Dublin to not get tangled up in their traffic, yet close enough to run into town (or elsewhere) for whatever sights or excursions in Eastern or Central Ireland you might care for.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Powerscourt Hotel, Autograph Collection offers outstanding luxury among 5-star hotels in Wicklow, Ireland. We are set amidst one of the most scenic and historic estates in the country, providing travellers with a a 200-room resort showcasing Palladian-style architecture and giving guests a host of amenities. At our hotel nestled in the hills of Enniskerry, 30 minutes from Dublin, you will find a spa, Powerscourt Golf Club, on-site restaurant and perfect accommodations offering easy access to rustic Enniskerry and all of County Wicklow. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Ebookers, Odigeo, Hotels.com, Priceline, Traveltool, S.L.U., TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, Cancelon, HotelQuickly and Hotel.de so you can book your Powerscourt Hotel, Autograph Collection reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Ritz-Carlton Powerscourt, County Wicklow Hotel Enniskerry
- Ritz Carlton Enniskerry
- Ritz Carlton Hotel Enniskerry
- Ritz Enniskerry
- Enniskerry Ritz-Carlton
- Powerscourt Hotel, Autograph Collection Enniskerry, Ireland - County Wicklow