“A blissful stay away!”

Powerscourt Hotel, Autograph Collection
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Enniskerry
Reviewed 10 May 2014

The moment I arrived at the powerscourt hotel I was taken back by the stunning scenery, I was greeted at the door and welcomed by the staff. I was checked in by a very helpful lady called Jayne, the check in was very quick. Once shown to our room we dinned in the sugar loaf lounge. The food was absolutely delicious!! Then had drinks in mc gills bar which was great Craic. What really impressed me the most about my stay was the spa. Never in all my life have I had a massage as great as the one I had from chayanit. She was so polite and has magical hands! I'm a total diva when it comes to massages and don't praise often! The staff made my stay worth every penny! Alison on the phone, the manager Kelly Ann even checked in with us! I cannot wait to go back! And would recommend the hotel and especially the spa to everyone! ☺️

• Stayed: May 2014
2  Thank Heather-Jane27
David W, General Manager at Powerscourt Hotel, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2014

Dear Heather-Jane27

Thank you so much for writing this lovely review of your stay with us.

I am delighted that our staff and service helped create a memorable stay for you. I will pass on your feedback to all the ladies you mentioned in the review.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel and spa again soon.

David Webster

Write a ReviewReviews (2,696)

Reviewed 9 May 2014 via mobile

I stayed it this hotel last year and booked it as the 'Ritz Carlton'. We arrived to find it was no longer the Ritz. It had changed hands a week or so after booking. No one thought to let us know. We enquired about the 'games room' during the booking as we liked the idea of taking our two young children there during our two night break. We were really excited and had booked a family suite. We arrived a bit bemused as it had changed names and then brought to our room to find a camp bed with our double bed. This would have been fine for one child so we asked for another and it was brought up and squeezed awkwardly into the room after rearranging furniture. We thought 'ok let's just get on with it'. We unpacked and went off to explore the games room. It was closed due to 'refurbishment' for our whole stay. I couldn't believe it. I let the hotel know how disappointed I was and they said they would bring the games to our room. They brought a broken connect four set and a ludo game with half the pieces missing. It was very difficult to keep the children entertained. I wouldn't have came here if they had thought to inform us. Our little girls burger was pink inside on our second evening. I don't know if this was the reason but she vomited repeatedly all that night. We were exhausted. Our whole stay was a shambles from start to end. I was furious as we had spent a lot of money and chose this hotel over the Shelbourne for a change. An article was printed the following weekend in the Sunday times about the new CEO and with his name to hand, I put pen to paper and eloquently and politely explained our story and it made me feel better. I posted the letter and never had any response. I private messaged the hotel's Facebook page months later to ask why I had no reply hoping for an explanation. I was asked for my email address which I gave and still nothing. Very disappointed indeed!

Stayed: October 2013
13  Thank Jodie531
Reviewed 9 May 2014

The Powerscourt Hotel is situated in the Powerscourt Estate,which is an historic and large former home of the De Poer family, going back centuries. The Hotel was built at huge expense during the crazy boom times of Ireland's Celtic Tiger,and was run by the Ritz Carlton Group. Many felt somewhat intimidated by the formality and grandeur of the place,feeling that this was really a "City" hotel out in the countryside of the Wicklow hills, and close to the scenic village of Enniskerry, a place to wear a suit and tie, and not country clothing. However, as with so many grand ventures, this one soon collapsed, as did the ultra smart Gordon Ramsay restaurant with its eye-watering prices, to be taken over by the Marriott Group, and renamed the Powerscourt Hotel. It is now a much more accessible venue,with charming staff, beautiful rooms with large bathrooms, and superb scenery,in the Garden of Ireland, lovely place to visit even if you are not staying there. A word of warning, however; a recent visit to the on-site pub, the food was very poor, the place was dark and seemed shabby, and the service was amateurish, definitely not worthy of a 5 Star hotel. Perhaps it has improved, following complaints to the obliging and attentive management.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the Sugarloaf Mountain.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business

Dear waiter11,

Many thanks for taking the time to write this lovely, detailed review of our hotel.

Thank you for your kind words regarding our staff and facilities. I am sorry that you found the food and service in McGills to be below par. This feedback has been brought to the attention of the team so that it can be rectified.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 5 May 2014

Myself , hubby and 14 year old daughter have just returned from a surprise stay at Powerscourt Hotel.
Fab suite on the 5th floor with amazing views of the mountains. We went to the Spa to use the pool and hamman- having stayed there previously I felt it now needs a bit of a revamp- lots of the lovely sparkling lights in the pool no longer work so you dont get the full effect. Also in the ladies changing rooms the showers are very very dark and its hard to tell the shampoo from the body wash due to bad lighting , one shower room had no lights working in it at all.
We were booked in for dinner in the restaurant which I have to say was the highlight of the stay for me with excellent food served by a very knowledgeable waiter by the name of Mark. He was really lovely and knew all about the various choices on the menu. A great plus if its your first time to taste certain foods. Definately worth having a meal in the restaurant a little bit dearer price wise but worth it.
We went to McGills for a few drinks and were surprised at the price of the drinks, it is a 5 star hotel but the prices could be a bit more realistic 11 euro for a vodka and 7up and 6.80 euro for a bottle of Corona - you wouldnt be having too many at that price. It has a lovely atmosphere in it though.
Breakfast was lovely but really busy, more staff needed to turnover food and tables.
The stay was really lovely and I would recommend it to anyone who gets a chance to stay there to do it- only sorry I wasnt staying another night - next time maybe!
My daughter loved the hotel and all the facilities too and we have promised ourselves when we get back to stay the next time to book some of the spa treatments in advance.

Room Tip: Try to get a mountain view, its so peaceful and relaxing
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank lucbac
David W, General Manager at Powerscourt Hotel, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 16 May 2014

Dear lucbac,

Many thanks for taking the time to write this lovely review of our hotel.

I am delighted to hear that you, your husband and daughter enjoyed your stay. Thank you for your feedback on the spa and breakfast service. Our maintenance team have since fixed the lighting in the pool and changing areas so that they are well-lit once more. The Food & Beverage team are reviewing the staffing of our breakfast so that we ensure service is efficient for guests.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 5 May 2014 via mobile

Just checked out of the Powerscourt Hotel. We booked in for our wedding anniversary. The staff were excellent. Upon arrival they upgraded our room to an amazing suite- a big thank you for that!

The Spa was fabulous, although very busy this weekend.

We had a meal in the Sika restaurant. Our waiter Mark was excellent, great recommendations and really knew his wine. My husband was impressed as he is a wine exporter and enjoys trying new things. The food was delicious. I had the lamb and my husband had the beef. We live quite close by so I would definitely come back for the food alone.

Overall this was a great couples experience. Considering the hotel does not offer family specials, I was surprised at the number of families staying here enjoying the facilities. I felt a bit guilty as we had left our children with their grandparents for the night ;) the recession must be well and truly over!

A few points for constructive feedback:

Paint on swimming pool roof was peeling quite badly. Needs attention.

Electric curtains in room 701 are broken, off the rails. Iron also didn't work. The half bottle of Chablis in the fridge was a 2009 vintage and would not be drinkable at this stage. 1st world problems!

One other small thing, €9.50 for a Gordon's gin and tonic in McGills bar is very pricey. If it was slightly cheaper, we would have had more!

Overall it was an excellent weekend and we'd love to come back!!

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Niamh M

Dear Niamh M,

Thank you for your lovely review of your stay at our hotel.

I am delighted that you had a memorable wedding anniversary here with us, and that you enjoyed the spa facilities and your meal in Sika.

Thank you also for your feedback. Our maintenance team are scheduled to paint the ceiling over the swimming pool during the last week in May. Our Housekeeping team is also repairing the items in the bedroom.

We look forward to welcoming you back, whether for a stay or just for dinner in our restaurant.

Reviewed 5 May 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here on our honeymoon. We based here and traveled around the country every day. I was overly impressed, everyone was so friendly and the free breakfast in the morning is amazing. Fresh, Irish food. We are and drank at the pub there, McGills, a few times, which was lovely. I Highly recommend staying here.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Auburn V

Dear Auburn V,

Many thanks for your lovely review of our hotel.

I am delighted that you and your husband enjoyed your stay with us (congratulations by the way on your wedding!).

We look forward to welcoming you both again in the near future.

Reviewed 30 April 2014

Is a perfect balance between comfort and luxe, very peaceful place to rest and forget about everything, the facilities are huge and comfortable , you can spend time in a little Irish Pub into the hotel that looks like an antique Irish pub, the hotel attention is excellent. Walking around you can find beautiful gardens and amazing landscapes.

Es un perfecto balance entre lujo y comodidad, un lugar muy tranquilo para descansar y olvidarte de todo, las instalaciones son grandes y confortables, el hotel cuenta con un pequeño bar típico irlandés que lo hicieron parecer antiguo con muy bonita decoración, caminando puedes ver hermosos jardines y disfrutar de muy bonitos paisajes naturales

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank JeanTzintzun

Dear JeanTzintzun,

Thank you for writing this lovely review of your stay here at Powerscourt.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and found the hotel to be a peaceful haven.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

David Webster

Also consider these accommodations in or near Enniskerry
Druids Glen Hotel & Golf Resort
#6 of 150 in Dublin
Summerhill House Hotel
Summerhill House Hotel
#2 of 2 in Enniskerry

Been to Powerscourt Hotel, Autograph Collection? Share your experiences!