Powerscourt Hotel, Autograph Collection
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Enniskerry
Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

The hotel itself is stunning, with a unique setting in the heart of the wicklow mountains. We got a complimentary upgrade to a suite which was amazing and beautifully furnished. The food was wonderful and I could not rare this hotel higher. Its location is ideal and the free bike rental to visit the gardens and waterfall is a nice bonus. I stayed here for 2 nights with my boyfriend and it was perfect. We visited the spa during our stay which was one of the nicest I've been to. However, it was an expensive weekend but for a special occasion this place is well worth it!

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,657)

Reviewed 5 August 2014

Stayed here July 2014. We had a very pleasant stay, and enjoyed the experience. But I suppose we weren't "in the mood" for the high cost of a lot of the sundries.

We had been given a voucher for the hotel, but had to cover some of the cost of staying ourselves. On considering the room rates, we went for a room only rate, as breakfast was a significant additional cost that I felt uncomfortable about paying (if you pay a fortune for breakfast you end up just trying to get your value out of it by eating way more than you want or need and also there is only so much in good conscience one can spend on breakfast).

Our room was beautiful, the bathroom was fantastic, and there was lots of room. The complimentary wi-fi was great. The bed was super big and really comfortable. The windows could have done with a big clean though, genuinely were very dirty. Furthermore, the coffee/tea making facilities were very limited. Recently I have stayed in a Clarion, a Mercure and other hotels (ostensibly not of the standard of Powerscourt) that have nespresso machines. But here we only had soluble instant coffee. My suggestion would be to give a good quality (n)espresso machine in the rooms.

The swimming pool is lovely, though be aware that there are particular hours for children's swimming time. Totally fair enough that there is kids' swimming time, but if you want it to be very quiet by the pool you might have to choose your time for going down there wisely.

We ate in the "pub" downstairs and the food was of good quality. However, drinks prices (e.g. €4 for a 7up, €6 for a pint, coffee was something like €4 or €4.50) were irksome and I suppose we weren't trying to splurge for the evening, just have a simple enough meal, and it was annoying to pay a lot more for a standard product (e.g. 7up or Harp) than you would pay elsewhere. Further, a bottle of wine (new world) started at €35, for example.

Staff were lovely though and very pleasant and professional. Would totally recommend staying here but be prepared to have deep pockets!

2  Thank GromitDublin
Reviewed 5 August 2014

A special night of luxury and decadence. From the moment we arrived, despite the fact that we don’t wear Gucci or carry Chanel bags we were made to feel like royalty. A down to earth and professional reception team seem to go that extra mile to make you feel welcome from the minute you arrive. The incredible location and views from the hotel certainly add to its beauty but also make you feel like you could be just about anywhere in the world despite being only a stones throw away from the city. Our daughter squealed with delight when afternoon tea arrived, everything not only looked so beautiful but was delicious. Getting to pick from all the little sweet treats simply added to our happiness. They even have the most exquisite tea bags, we got to choose from just about every imaginable flavour, something rare and as our seven year old proclaimed everything seemed to taste nicer from such a pretty tea cup. We lounged in our room following afternoon tea and what a beautiful room/suite it was. Right from the get go we were clambering to each have a bath just so we could watch the telly in the bathroom, with his and hers wash hand basins and a walk in wardrobe nearly as big as my bedroom, I thought I could definitely get used to this. We ventured down to the games room which had toys a plenty which are open to all guests for children of all ages. The Powerscourt Hotel and its grounds are certainly worthy of a few days of exploration in themselves, we could have spent days wandering outside but alas with bellies beckoning we returned to our room to get ready for dinner. We entered the simple and elegant dining room with stunning views and again were met with such a sense of warmth, made to feel so welcome, unobtrusive, professional staff made the night complete. The food ticked every box, the highlight had to be our little one getting to pour chocolate sauce over her dads dessert to discover that beneath the chocolate sphere lay a masterpiece in pastry. My lemon tart was simply the best I have tasted. After dinner we headed to the atmospheric Irish bar within the hotel which felt much more like a bar and less like a hotel than most. Again a really lovely bartender took the time to chat to us. There is so much to say about why the Powerscourt Hotel is such an incredible spot, the location, the rooms, the bar, the restaurant, the food, the childrens amenities, the pool (which is exceptional) but I feel what really makes it is their staff. Without meaning to sound naff everyone there seemed to be happy to work there, it’s got such a warm feeling about it and then came the SPA. After an aromatherapy massage and facial there was only one thing left to do the next day, float out the door and start planning our next trip…..

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Emma S
Reviewed 4 August 2014 via mobile

I stayed at this hotel for my 30th birthday. I must say it is definitely a purely stunning location and an exceptional building.

My partner and I booked the suite with mountain view. Definitely a magnificent room with every feature a person could ask for and more. Kingsize plus bed was wonderful, cool and comfortable.

We used the swimming pool on that evening and again it was fantastic if not even a touch over the top!

Unfortunately the big let down was the breakfast. We arrived down at 10am because we wanted to relax in the morning (breakfast was served until 11am). On arrival to the lounge area, there were few people around and quite comfortable. The selection of food was just terrible. All that was available were a few cereals, a few breads and poor selection of any dairy products. I had the fried breakfast which tasted horrible as it was absolutely cold and greasy as it was lying for a while. There were no sausages as they had ran out and the bacon was disgusting because it was dripping in grease. My partner got a selection of fruit which was tasteless as it had dried out completely. I was vet surprised at the breakfast being a buffet as this is simply not 5* calibre.

Also, very little atmosphere around the hotel in general, especially for a bank holiday weekend.

I must say the food needs to buck up drastically to hold on to 5 stardom!

Stayed: August 2014
2  Thank Drury1984
Reviewed 3 August 2014

Powerscourt Autograph Hotel is not cheap but then when you go there and experience what it offers, you cant really complain! Admittedly we were in a suite - a complimentary upgrade which was delightful - but the level of comfort, style and pure class is really among the best you will find in Ireland. Having stayed in several 5 star hotels before - as we don't fly except when unavoidable - this really was the BEST we have been to. From the TV in the bathroom mirror...to the beautiful view to the cleanliness of the place - it really ticks all the boxes. So yes it is expensive but if its a treat and pure luxury you are after ...then do not hesitate and book today!

Room Tip: We were in a suite and if its an occasion...a birthday or an anniversary.... then splash out on the...
Reviewed 1 August 2014

I didn't stay here, but I can't find the restaurant to review where I had lunch. Nevertheless, a girlfriend and I had a good look around this hotel. I was shocked. There is clearly a cost-cutting exercise going on, and it is so evident. Neglect is obvious, weeds are growing all over the paths, there are broken flagstones and ashtrays full of rubbish.
Shame, as on approach the facade looks impressive. Such a lovely location too. Maybe the Celtic Tiger simply can't warrant the upkeep given the low numbers - the carpark was virtually empty the day we visited. I imagine it was built when Ireland was in its heyday, let's hope it returns

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank misspopeye
Reviewed 31 July 2014

The Powerscourt Hotel was the last hotel in our 10 day tour of Ireland. We stayed in three other five star hotels this trip and the Powerscourt was definitely the grand finale of our trip. The staff was wonderful and courteous. We had a problem with the room being very warm and the staff and manager made attempts to remedy it. Although the unit in our room was not working properly they did bring us some fans and a portable air unit. If I had been staying for more than two days I would have asked to be switched to another room but my sister and her husband was traveling with us and they were in the room next to us so we just stayed in the room we had. The reception guy did pay for our breakfast upon check out due to the problems with the air conditioning. I thought this hotel was just beautiful. The room and the grounds were gorgeous. They shuttled us into the village for dinner and shopping at no charge. Jake the Concierge was very friendly and helpful with things to do. I absolutely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Enniskerry
Druids Glen Hotel & Golf Resort
#7 of 150 in Dublin
The Marker Hotel
The Marker Hotel
#2 of 150 in Dublin

Been to Powerscourt Hotel, Autograph Collection? Share your experiences!