“Delicious food and a gem of a place!”
Review of Cove Restaurant

Cove Restaurant
Ranked #4 of 18 Restaurants in Dunfanaghy
Price range: US$21 - US$45
Cuisines: Irish, Seafood, Fusion
Good for: Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Romantic, View, Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: Bistro-style restaurant in an amazing location overlooking Hornhead, Sheephaven Bay (our holding tank for Crab and Lobster!), And the distant hills and fields which provide the best quality, fresh produce for your enjoyment. Elegant relaxed surroundings, attentive unobtrusive service, and attention to detail are our hallmarks.
Marion, Indiana
“Delicious food and a gem of a place!”
Reviewed 14 June 2014

The cove restaurant sits on the road just near a beautiful bay. When I arrived I was greeted very warmly by the staff and they took my girlfriend and I upstairs where we were able to order our meal and some drinks. I didn't feel like I was in a rush like I do in most restaurants. The atmosphere was very laid back and there is an amazing view of the bay from the upstairs bar. We were only set down to our tables when our food was ready for us. We had ordered a lobster bisque to share between the two of us which was delicious and full of flavor.
For our main courses I had ordered a 12 ounce sirloin steak which came with onion rings, home made fries, and garlic butter. My girlfriend had ordered the fresh seabass fillets which was served with a peanut, ginger, and lemongrass sauce. Her meal also came with fresh vegetables and basmatti rice. Both meals were full of flavor and prepared to our specifications. Being an American and coming so far north in Ireland, I felt like I was eating a steak that was larger than I would order in a restaurant back home. I know the steak is local beef but I had such a cozy feel while eating in the Cove. The seabass was delicious and easily the best fish we have ever experienced with a touch of Asian style cooking!
The menu has a nice variety of food available for everyone's taste buds. The staff again, were very friendly and attentive during our wait upstairs and during our meal. I did not feel like I was in a restaurant back home where I felt in a rush to order, eat, and leave. The Cove sets a very relaxing ambiance where you can have a nice and relaxing meal and conversation.
I highly recommend The Cove to anyone who is fortunate enough to stumble across this beautiful town. Dunfanaghy is definitely a hidden gem of Ireland and I feel so lucky to have stumbled across this town, County, and The Cove restaurant!

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank Gavin F

Marion, Indiana
“Fabulous food and great price!!!”
Reviewed 10 June 2014

Stumbled across this wonderful restaurant on our travels to Donegal. You are greeted as you come in the door by some really nice staff and brought upstairs to the bar with amazing views of the bay. We had some cocktails to start while ordering. Steamed mussels in ginger to start with enough to feed an army. Both being lovers of seafood we went with seabass and john dory for mains which were exquisite and different to the norm.Definitely a must to visit when up that neck of the woods!!

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank Gavin F
Derry, United Kingdom
“Love this place”
Reviewed 2 June 2014 via mobile

Love this place, visited a couple of times now and food is great. Love the upstairs bar area, great to sit and chill with a local drink while waiting. Owner is a lovely guy and very engaging. Would recommend to anyone!

1 Thank LouiseThomas1
Buderim, Queensland, Australia
“Highly Recommended! What a view! ”
Reviewed 19 May 2014 via mobile

The cove restaurant is set in a beautiful part of Ireland, with stunning views and a wonderful wine list. It's easy to get comfortable and stay for hours. The menu is well thought out and very tasty. The host Peter is charming and very welcoming. We had an amazing dinner here and if we are ever in this part of the world again we will be sure to call in.

Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Best sirloins in Donegal!”
Reviewed 22 April 2014

We have a holiday home in Dunfanaghy and always reserve at least one night for a visit to The Cove. The experience starts with a relaxing drink-with-a-view in the upstairs bar overlooking Portnablagh pier and harbour. The owner Peter certainly knows his food and the lamb and steaks are some of the best you will find anywhere! The staff are attentive and friendly without being obsequious and Peter always finds the time for a brief chat with diners, no matter how busy they are. In some restaurants there is the impression that they want to rush you out the door for the next sitting, but a meal at The Cove is always unhurried and relaxing. All in all a top spot.

• Visited April 2014