“Wonderfully eccentric!” 4 of 5 bubbles

Corcreggan Mill
Narragansett
“Wonderfully eccentric!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2014

An unfancy but fine place to stay in Dunfanaghy to sample the incredible scenery, hiking, exploring and eating ooportunities all around. Knowlegable and genial host provides tons of information, maps and advice. Breakfast was hearty and plentiful. The private rooms are small but cozy. You don't need to spend much time in the room! We had only a morning but took a gloroius sunrise drive and walk to Horn Head. 360 degree view was spectacular! We will return for another time and spend a much longer time to really see the town and surrounding countryside.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Tazdoopish
BrendanRohan, Owner at Corcreggan Mill, responded to this review, 14 January 2014
Thank you very much for taking the trouble to make such a complimentary review.

It's most encouraging that you intend to return and spend more time with us and exploring the area. There's no doubt that this area in particular requires (and you deserve), a minimum of three days here, to get the full benefit from it. I'm delighted, no matter whether it was me, your own feeling or the peace, tranquillity and natural beauty of the surrounding area that helped you to this conclusion.

I look forward to your return.

Best regards and Happy New Year,
Brendan.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
saint-nazaire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 December 2013

I stayed there on two occasions with friends and really enjoyed my stays. The owner goes to great lengths to accomodate his guests. A very good and hearty breakfast is now included in the price. The rooms and bathrooms are very clean and the beds are comfortable. It's a very quiet area. The staff is also very pleasant. Brendan organised for us a very interesting trip to Inishboffin Island and read us tales and poems the night before we went there. There is plenty to do and explore in the area around. Definitely good value for money.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank anne-sophie44
BrendanRohan, Owner at Corcreggan Mill, responded to this review, 10 December 2013
Hello Anne-Sophie,
Thank you very much for taking the trouble to make such a complimentary review of our service and setting after your visit here.

I'm always a little hesitant about boring people with my stories and then sending them to such off-the-beaten-path places but most everyone agrees that Inis Bo Finne is a very special place ... completely natural and relaxing, yet breath-taking at the same time. I'm so glad you enjoyed it.

Hoping you will continue to visit us.

Best regards and Happy Christmas,
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2013

This hostel, b and b located just outside of the downtown area of Dunfanaghy is perfectly located for excursions and is set just out enough to be quiet and restful. The old mill area has a charm of its own. The main area for dining and relaxing is comfortable and clean. The owner goes out of his way to be available to give you highlights, walking trips and any history of the area you may ask for ( or not). We stayed with our adult daughter in early May and would definitely return. the price was very reasonable for the accommodation. We recommend you give it a try. I don't think you will be disappointed.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
I'm so glad you enjoyed our setting, atmosphere and service and I'm very grateful for the very complimentary review.

I hope I didn't bore you too much with my personal stories and history of the area. You'll have realised by now that it doesn't take much to start an Irishman talking and that there are very few short stories.

I hope we'll see you return some day.

Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2013

Clean, cheery rooms
Excellent staff
Beautiful surroundings
Cannot say enough about the owner Brendan...Knowledgeable, friendly, visits the breakfast room every morning to give a weather report and suggestions for hikes and sites in the area. A real historian.
Great breakfast
Wonderful Irish stew

Room Tip: Second floor was closed due to time of year, but probably woud have enjoyed having a better view of...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Hello Peg,
You are very kind to go to the trouble to give us such a great review.

I really appreciate it. Thank you very much. I'm not so sure my weather forecast were very accurate though!

Glad you enjoyed your stay, the atmosphere and the food.

Hopefully we'll see you back in Ireland and Corcreggan one day soon.

Brendan
Plean
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 October 2013

I am an experienced camper, but prefer small out of the way campsites. This was very much a last minute booking and was no disappointment. I was made to feel so welcome and although Brendan was hard at work on developments for next year he even had a look at my broken exhaust.
Corcreggan Mill is a fascinating site and Brendan's passion for the mill and the area is infectious. Donegal is a place I feel a deep connection to and I was made to feel so at home, not just a tourist. The facilities are rustic but clean with plenty of hot water. I was the only camper at a quiet time of the year and I was touched by Marina and Brendan's kindness after their long busy season. Wifi and the campers' kitchen were a pleasant extra.
I only wish I had more time to enjoy more of the great walks in the area as recommended by Brendan but I will be back.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you very much Anne for your kind and generous review of our property and service.

I'm delighted and relieved that you got so much from your visit as I thought we left you very much to yourself. I'm sorry I couldn't have helped more with your broken exhaust, though.

I really look forward to your return visit when you'll have more time to explore the beautiful scenery.

Brendan
Ile Des Chenes
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 October 2013

We stayed three nights as part our tour of Ireland. This place as well as Brendan, our host and owner, are full of character. This was our first experience staying in a hostel/b&b and we did not know what to expect. This is not a 5 star hotel and that's what is so great about it. It feels as if you're "home". The property is amazing and Brendan is beyond knowledgeable about the local area and history. We spent a total of 25 days in Ireland and Corcreggan Mill, Dunfanaghy and the North was by far our favorite. If ever back in Ireland, we would definitely return to the Mill.

To Brendan...we hope you enjoyed the book and syrup!

Room Tip: Don't forget to visit the in house pub!
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Hello Wendy and family.
Many thanks for the wonderful review you have posted here about your stay at Corcreggan.

It was a great pleasure to have you stay with us and you are one of many who are confused by the Hostel/B&B/Hotel categorization (or lack of it). I prefer to say that we try to ensure you have a valuable holiday experience in an incredibly beautiful area by doing our best to make you feel comfortable, at home in a warm and hospitable environment.

I was bowled over by your lovely gifts. I enjoyed the syrup very much and will remember you by the maple-shaped bottle long after the contents are gone. The book was something else! There was something special about the look and feel of it but it was only when I had a little time one afternoon that I sat down with it and was transported to the Prairies ... or as near as I could because lines like " If you're not from the prairie you've not heard the grass you've never heard grass" kept telling me I had better not waste any of the valuable time I have left to enjoy the simple pleasures of this wonderful creation.

Thank you for your gifts ... especially the one induced by the peace of a land I may never get to see. However, in an odd kind of reciprocation, next June, 16th I will have the pleasure of accommodating one of your countrywomen, the daughter of a RCAF airman who was also a 'guest of our nation' when his plane made an emergency landing on our local Killyhoey beach during WW2. Her childhood dream was to one day walk that beach, and so she will ...and I'll show her your gift..
Bern
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 October 2013

A truly outstanding place....we had to wait a bit for the owner to arrive because we were to early. So we walked around the place a bit...there was loads to discover, my son loved it. It's like a big playground with a beautiful view..
I adored the way the house is done up. You can tell that all the wee things that are sitting about are pieces of great memories and interest. Very cosy. Loved it.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
BrendanRohan, Owner at Corcreggan Mill, responded to this review, 7 October 2013
Many thanks Tamara, for your lovely review of Corcreggan.

I'm really glad that you both liked it so much and that you felt 'at home' enough to go exploring all the little secret nooks and views. I'm also glad that you appreciate my eclectic mix of artwork, antiques and Aladdin's cave of memorabilia. I used to be 'quieter' about my past history and many interests and adventures but now it seems that that's what so many people find endearing about the place.

It would be great to welcome you back in the not-too-distant future.

Best r,
Brendan.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dunfanaghy
Arnolds Hotel
#1 of 3 in Downings
Carey's Viking House Hotel
Carey's Viking House Hotel
#1 of 1 in Kincasslagh

Been to Corcreggan Mill? Share your experiences!