“Very relaxing stay”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Dunfanaghy
The Mill Restaurant & Accommodation
Ranked #2 of 7 Dunfanaghy B&B and Inns
Londonderry, Northern Ireland
“Very relaxing stay”
Reviewed 7 November 2011

first class experience. Very relaxing. Food was very good and breakfast was a real delight. Will definitely return and recommend to others.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
n Ireland
Reviewed 10 August 2011

It has been some time since I have eaten here but I can safely say it will not be long before I return. My husband and myself dined here last night and it was by far the best meal I have eaten in a long time. The service, the general ambience of the restaurant,the friendliness of the staff and of course the food were all outstanding. The menu is small but adequate and varied - 5 choices for each course- but this means the food is fresh and cooked to order and it is easier to make up your mind. Delicious canapes are served in the conservatory while you study the menu and these set the standard for the rest of the meal-the Guinness bread with the starters is not be missed. My main course of grilled mackerel and halibut was very good as was my husband's lamb dish. The desserts were literally the icing on the cake-the creme brulee and the chocolate cake were out of this world. Coffee and petit fours were then served in the conservatory.
Some reviewers complain about the price but this meal once in a while is far better value than 10 cheaper average meals. I have not stayed in the rooms but hope to do so next time I return as I am sure the breakfast and the accommodation will be of the same high standard.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sagababenIreland
Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed 24 July 2011

Make yur way to this amazing location. Stay in the rooms if you can, but the food is reason enough for a visit. Personally, I had the scrambled eggs and salmon three mornings in a row because they were awful and I hoped they would get better - JOKE gang!!!! they were so good the first day I couldn't resist again and again. The other items on the breakfast buffet are reason to celebrate as well. The banannas and honey, the rubharb, the breads, the fruit. All were tops in our two weeks of dining.

But, I am supposed to review the room here on this site. So, We had the room over the kitchen. You would expect it to be bad, but it wasn't By 11:00pm all noise was gone, as well as the heat, leaving us with a wonderfully quiet room with a nice breeze off the lake and no worries for a quiet nights sleep. Technically this was a triple room. The bath was generously sized and the amenities mentioned before were certainly present. I would have liked foam pillows, but slept like a baby for 3 nights, so I can't complain. I imagine those in the rooms on the front of the house might have had a nicer fresh breeze through the night, but we didn't suffer at all. Over the three nights we were there, we did have a chance to look into most of the rooms. All are similar in size and amenities. The owner has done a nice job of taking care of her overnight guests. Quality hospitality at reasonable prices with exceptional service are what you get here.

I'm a huge follower of Rick Steves when it comes to planning my trips. I don't know what he says about this area, but we found it to be a great location for touring the northeastern coast of Ireland. We visited many areas in day trips and found Dunfanaghy to be a great location for our sightseeing. The town was worth several hours of shopping and the artist galleries yielded several pieces to add to our collection.

Dining in the restaurant at the Mill House is a special treat. After bookig our room, we were asked if we wanted to eat in the dining room. Having heard that it was good food at a somewhat high cost, we did confirm for the first night. We immediately booked a res for the last night after finishing our first meal. The menu is eclectic, and exciting. I'll remember the crab starter for a long time and the strawberry soup for even longer. The wine list is extensive and offered us several choices we'd never experienced. The service is not ever rushed, and always follows the desires of the customers. I watched them deal with couples, quartets, and a party of 20 with equal aplomb and style.

Susan, you and your staff are amazing. All the best!!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Auntie_C
New York
Reviewed 14 July 2011

We stayed at the Mill and enjoyed dinner there as well. Our dinner meal was classic Irish cuisine served in a lovely setting. It was a nice treat for my husband to enjoy some wine as we were staying the night and he didn't have to drive anywhere afterwards.

I was even more impressed by the breakfast the following morning. Best breakfast we had in Ireland! They had an enormous table of cold food served buffet style (great homemade prunes and rhubarb compote, as well as banana bread and "Guinness Bread"), and then we all had delicious eggs and salmon too. It was wonderful.

The waitstaff is fantastic. Very nice during both dinner and breakfast. You're encouraged to enjoy your time in the ground floor rooms, and there is a happy air to everyone who works here.

The Mill truly excels with their accommodations! Our room was not huge, but it was extremely comfortable and well-appointed with a gorgeous view of the water and mountains. The bed was so comfortable. I appreciated the complimentary wine and water (flat and sparkling) left in our room, and the television was nice too. There was plenty of parking and the gardens surrounding the building were lovely.

The only downside was that our parked car was covered in small dead midges the next day. They took some scrubbing to remove before we left Ireland, but it was still worth it to stay and eat at the Mill.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank hotelgirl111
Reviewed 14 July 2011

Our third time staying here. Food is delicious with fantastic presentation and attention to detail

• Stayed July 2011
1 Thank Davidgibson999
N.Ireland
Reviewed 3 July 2011

My husband and I have been here three times and always have been impressed by the food which is very good but also by the friendliness and courtesy of all the staff. We plan to return in the autumn. I love the house with its paintings and the naturalness of the garden planting.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
Derry
Reviewed 8 June 2011

This is a restaurant with limited accomodation. The rooms are not the standard hotel type. They are homely, clean, comfortable - home form home. There is old furniture with real character; books are provided - fiction, non-fiction, local interest - which is a nice touch. There is no phone - great. There is a TV with standard terrestrial channels. Bath and over-bath shower are good. The rooms are quiet and the beds and pillows are comfortable.
Breakfast is served from a small buffet plus your choice of cooked breakfast. The traditional cooked Irish breakfast was very disappointing on the two mornings that we were there. We had one evening meal, which did not live up to the name that this restaurant has built up which was extremely disappointing.
Service was slow and a little haphazard and the usual Irish chat was practically totally missing - except on the day that we arrived when we were given tea and coffee in the conservatory and filled in with all the local nonsense - great!
If you want a small, quiet, family-run hotel then this is the place for you. As for the food - it seems to be a lottery; a great name for it, but we did not get it.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JohnOF
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dunfanaghy
Arnolds Hotel
Caisleain Oir Hotel
Caisleain Oir Hotel
#1 of 1 in Annagry
An Chuirt, Gweedore Court Hotel

Been to The Mill Restaurant & Accommodation? Share your experiences!