“this must be one of the most spectacular places to stay on earth!”

Delphi Lodge Country House
Evergreen, Colorado
“this must be one of the most spectacular places to stay on earth!”
Reviewed 1 September 2011

I never write reviews but felt compelled to sperad the word on this most lovely and romantic country house in Ireland. My husband and I just returned from a 15 day trip to Ireland and staying @ the Delphi Lodge was definately the highlight! It's website does not do it justice. It's remote location made us feel like we were truely away yet it was accessible to many extrordinary sights. The accomodation was simple casual elegance, our room had a down sofa and fire place and huge king canopy bed that had the finest bedding and the renovated bathroom had a huge old bathtub for soaking. The food was absolutely spectacular! Most of all however were the people we met there - some of the lovelyest and unforgettable people who we will never forget. The staff and guests alike were extrodinary. I went and had a seaweed bath and scrub in the best spa down the road and my husband went fly fishing in their spectacular lake and river. The lodge itself and grounds are oozing w history. Many wonderful walks. Our only regret is that we didn't plan to stay a whole week.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank donna a

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 29 July 2011

During our stay in Ireland our friends who live in Galway suggested we visit one of there favourite getaways....Delphi Lodge.
We met up with another couple they know and off we went.
Simple words cannot describe the shear beauty of the Lodge.
The surrounding hills and the lake are enchanting.
The atmosphere, the people, the food and the wine were all top notch.
Sadly we heard that it was closing down.....I truly hope it's only for a short time.
We'll be back in Ireland again soon and I'll keep my fingers crossed Delphi is still there.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with friends
3 Thank BreezeRidge3
Galway
Reviewed 7 May 2011

I was married here in October 2010 and it was absolutely incredible. The staff did everything possible to make us at home - roaring log fires ever morning; afternoon tea with homemade scones and cream; cooked breakfasts made to order for each of the 31 people - no mean feat! Wonderful food - absolutely faultless and great attention to detail. Canapes were outstanding and our friends are still talking about it. Lovely rooms and stunning lake views. Some of our group stayed in cottages and they were delightful - really well kitted out and fires set; instantly welcoming. We will be back for a house party without a doubt - I cannot recommend Delphi and Carole and the staff enough.

Room Tip: Any room with a lake view is gorgeous
  • Stayed October 2010, travelled with friends
2 Thank cbocquel
Dublin
Reviewed 19 September 2010

Stayed in a cottage rather than the hotel. Basic but cosy. Extra charges applied for wood and turf after the first load. The main hotel is very small.

Communal dining at a single table was quite fun. Most of the other guests were from outside Ireland. After dinner drinks and conversations were very pleasant.

The hotel could offer activities for non-fishing guests such as information on the area, walks, boat trips, shooting, etc.

I felt being chaged extra for some small slivers of smoked salmon in my breakfast scambled eggs a bit cheeky.

In these days, the absence of mobile phone reception is a bit annoying.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank JXBR
Wexford, Ireland
Reviewed 19 August 2010

The website claims luxury. In a word no. Not even close....however the place is beautiful and the dinner atmosphere can be fun with great staff. But the prices are steep.

So a little spartan and over priced when set against much that they are doing well.
Over this side of the pond we like to know what we are getting into.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with friends
2 Thank mikespike_10
Yokosuka, Japan
Reviewed 20 July 2010

This was, hands down, one of the my most favorite places I have ever stayed. The spectacular setting is singular, the staff was warm, unpretentious and friendly and we had a glorious time staying here. I will never forget sitting fireside in the library, listening to Nat King Cole and sipping Irish whiskey - truly my idea of heaven. The lively dinners were also a treat - very well prepared with fresh, locally sourced ingredients and, indeed, the wine list was excellent. It is truly like staying in a friend's house - I made myself comfortable immediately upon arrival and did not want to leave. It was also hard to say goodbye to our new canine friends, particularly Yoyo who was ever at the ready for some fetch in the yard. Our stay at Delphi was the highlight of our 2 week trip to Ireland and I am already devising a way to come back with friends.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mrchiplambert
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 30 September 2009

We stayed here for one night only as we were on a budget. This place was recommended by a colleague of mine as some place you would go to get away from things. It is in a remote part of Ireland and surrounded by some amazing scenery. The house itself was a bit old but had a very charming character to it. I was not too fond of the dogs especially when they came around during breakfast. There are some nice walks around the area. I did the half day fishing tutorial which was ok as it was lashing rain the entire day. The food is amazing! Whilst I was a bit hesitant about meeting and socializing with comeplete strangers, by the end of the night, we we drinking and chatting like we were the best of friends!

We had the lake view room which was gorgoeous. The bed mattress was a bit worn and soft.

I think the place is slightly pricey but the experience itself was very unique. I would probably go back there and spend the full weekend there again when I need a break from the hustle and buslte of city life.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank noxioust
Also consider these accommodations in or near Leenane
Delphi Resort
Renvyle House Hotel
Renvyle House Hotel
#1 of 1 in Renvyle
Ardagh Hotel & Restaurant

Been to Delphi Lodge Country House? Share your experiences!