“West of Ireland”

Delphi Resort
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Leenane
“West of Ireland”
Reviewed 14 May 2013

I stayed at this hotel for 3 days and would recommend it highly, mainly because of the wonderful location in the Mweelrea Mountains, but also the staff who were kind and friendly. The spa was just so relaxing and then the bed was so comfortable and sleep came long and deep. Plenty of outdoor activities too. Cycling and driving along the Doolough Pass road was an empowering wxperience for me, being Irish and aware of the famine victims who had to crawl their way along here during the Great Famine in Ireland in the 19th Century.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Bridget D
Bryan902, General Manager at Delphi Resort, responded to this review, 27 May 2013
And I am delighted to say that we are currently working on more experiential walking items that will feature more on the rich history and culture of the area.

Regards
Bryan and Team

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
Reviewed 9 May 2013

Really & truly I have never experienced such negativity and bad management from a business ever in my life. I travel 80% of my time with work and my wife and I have travelled to the best resorts in the world before having our own little family a few years ago and spending time in Ireland and abroad with our kids.
I was recommended the Resort by friends of ours who had visited a couple of years ago and had described the place as out of this world in terms of service and friendliness. I regretfully had to report back to my buddy that it is none of these things whatever has happened in the interm.
The staff are rude and fed up, you can tell they are not happy in their jobs. There is no management that I could see and we stayed 5 nights. There are a few rough looking men storming around who couldn’t look more out of place or intimidating if they tried. I had the unfortunate experience of sitting next to one in the bar who was obviously chewing some poor staff member out of it in a public meeting in full view of guests. I must admit although I had already decided I hated the place and the atmosphere, this completely made my mind up to never as long as I live visit again. He spent a full hour shouting about how to get more guests to come, how to make more revenue and how to cut costs. Just sums up what the place is in my estimation.
I couldn’t get out of there fast enough. Leaving aside the horrendous attitudes of the staff, the bedroom was plain, bleak and cold (no luxury here I’m afraid and I had booked one of the exclusive suites with two bedrooms so I dread to think what the other rooms are like!). The rooms smelt of mould and mildew, they were freezing cold. Our lights and heating stopped working a few times and when we called reception to fix it either nobody would answer and I’d have to walk the 10 miles up there, or else if they did answer nobody would come! I eventually was sent out by the other half to buy a plug in heater for the childrens bedroom (who subsequently both came down with flu’s afterwards), good luck trying to find a shop within an hours drive! There was even a lovely view of a dead bird on our ‘patio’ (slabs of rock concreted into the ground, no view just of a few stumps and trees, very dark room). The dead bird stayed and decayed there before we arrived and had nearly turned to ash by the time we left. It’s probably still there. Shows good hygiene. Speaking of which, the room and general guest areas just weren’t clean. Dusty, dirty and smelt.
I am starting to sound like a guest hard to please but I’m genuinely not and have never left a bad review before in my life. I have just never been so disappointed.
The food wasn’t good, the bar and restaurant service was terrible. We just had one bad experience after another. My wife was ill during the middle of it and after eating some shellfish the night before. There was no help never mind sympathy given here, just complete denial from the staff member we dealt with at the time of reporting the incident.
I just can’t be bothered to continue. Word of warning, just don’t go to Delphi. All they want is your money once you’re there nobody cares. You will just be miserable stuck in the middle of nowhere.
This is a hostel. A very very overpriced one.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
10 Thank John M
Bryan902, General Manager at Delphi Resort, responded to this review, 16 May 2013
We take any feedback very constructively and always work hard to use the information to improve our offering. TripAdvisor has been a great tool in helping us to continuously improve and to better understand our guests needs and we have been very fortunate to enjoy very positive feedback and especially so over the last year.

We have taken time to investigate this review based on the details mentioned. Having followed up with the 5 families that stayed in April and for 5 nights, as stated in the review, we were able to get in contact with 4 of the families. 2 have already re-booked for the summer and 2 other families stated that they had a great break with us and made it clear that they were very happy with their experience. We have tried contacting the review poster directly but unfortunately there has been no response. We would still greatly welcome their further feedback directly.

Following our investigation, we have not been able to find any evidence to legitimize this review.

Kind regards

The Team at Delphi Mountain Resort
Reviewed 2 May 2013

the best way i can describe this place is a minimum security prision with lovley scenery! theirs about eighty staff their apparently i only met 3 nice ones! i went with a group of people, they would not let us play soccer in gravel yard out the back that wasnt being used! they searched through all of our bags(massive invasion of privacy), they grounded us to our rooms without supper because of apparent "breach of the rules" we werent aloud to walk out of our room at night time to refill our water bottle! the room was stuffy(what do you expect when you have 8 lads cramped into one small room) and they would not let us open the window! a group of young girls were staying near us and they had a man barge into their in the middle of the night waking them up! wanting to search their rooms(another invasion of pricacy)! some of the activitys were ok, but the staf were horrible! i would not reccomend it for any group!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
8 Thank John l
Orange County
Reviewed 2 May 2013 via mobile

The setting is amazing in the Delphi mountains. We took a bicycle ride up the hill along a beautiful lake which is excellent for fishing.

The spa services are exceptional, they use Voya bath & body products www.voya.ie and I also was able to purchase some items in the spa store.

The rooms, lounge and bar dining area were well appointed but slightly dusty. Some shower tiles needed extra attention.

There is no cell phone signal, I will definitely return here. It is a real escape and disconnect from work and city life.

• Stayed April 2013
Sligo
Reviewed 13 April 2013

This is a stunningly beautiful part of Ireland, This is a very comfortable lodge providing great access to the wild outdoors. All the staff - reception, restaurant /bar and activities were professional and friendly. Faultless. Our room, a suite, was large, clean, comfortable, great bathroom. One achilles heel is the food. It was patchy. If you are over cooking pasta and can't season your food then you are letting down the rest of the operation. Overall I would recommend it to everyone but remember that this is a very comfortable adventure lodge, not a luxury hotel. I didn't use the spa but I have heard it is excellent.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank zapoh
Ballycastle, Ireland
Reviewed 8 April 2013

My husband and I came here for a couple of days specifically to relax. The resort appealed to us for the absolute quiet surroundings, no Internet access or television, we wanted purely to unwind. The resort has an adventure centre and spa on site - make sure to do your research beforehand e.g. Using the jacuzzi still incurs a €15 charge, it is not free to residents. Also some activities are done as a package, e.g., we wanted to do archery but were told we had to do this with another activity so didn't take part on this occasion. I would definitely recommend Delphi, just check out extras beforehand! The surroundings are amazing and the resort so relaxing with lovely facilities on site. Note. Check in is 4.00 pm which is late after a long day travelling, we got there at 3.30 and wouldn't let us check in.

Room Tip: We were in a standard double in the courtyard section facing the back, lots of sunlight and quiet