“So relaxing”
Review of Delphi Resort

Delphi Resort
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Leenane
Reviewed 5 August 2008

I'm not one for reviews either but after reading some of those off the wall reviews I decided to voice how pleasant and relaxing our stay was. There were 16 in our group and not 1 of us had any of the complaints outlined in other reviews. After a day of activities and a spa treatment (which was fab!) we were treated to a beautiful 4 course meal and a bus into Leenane for a few drinks. A truly beautiful location and very relaxing atmophere in very comfortable surroundings.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Reviewed 4 August 2008

Had one night in the Delphi Mountain Resort.

Good points - Quality of the food, water, air and bed. Female Matradee at restaurant.

Bad points - Hotel setting/design made horrific use of a beautiful location. Spa, bedroom (zero view), general service and ambiance.

Hotel - Designed by a hobbit with no concept of maximising the beauty of the mountains. It is a poor half way house between rough & ready adventure camp and luxury eco-resort.

Spa - very average; sea weed bath was set in a darkened room with zero ambiance and actually very little sea weed. The "thermal suite" was comprised of a sauna (cool - all heat lost through single pane windows), a grubby steam room, and over chlorinated hot tub. Some beautiful scenery was obscured by poorly designed windows and being in view of the rear car park.

The bar, restaurant area and deck area has potential, still the limited views of the stunning mountains and no Guinness on draught (cans only!). The large deck area was used to store general items, staff smoke breaks and two patio heaters.

The food was excellent , as was the polish matradee (though not cheap 3 course dinner for 2, no wine = 100 euros+). Breakfast would have been great if we could have had the buffet stocked with the necessary items at the same time.

Overall - more management, quality and direction required. We paid over 300euros for one night. Given our experience I would struggle to recommend this hotel. It is not a destination experience in its own right.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Hove1234
Reviewed 1 August 2008

Contrary to some of the what I would consider 'bizarre' reviews of Delphi Mountain resort I can only describe our weekend away there as second-to-none. From the accommodation to the staff to the facilities and the food - everything was A1. I visited there a number of years ago when this really was a hostel and was blown away by the 'updates' to the business since then! Our weekend was helped by the fact that it was the best one we have had this 'summer' and as a result the scenery was spectacular. We did a full day of activities on Saturday - including surfing, high ropes and zip wire. I was very impressed with all of the instructors - they were very informative and friendly with attention to safety top of their list (very important when you are going outside of your comfort zone in terms of distance off the ground!). Lunch was excellent - we were quite hungry by the time we returned and it was varied and plentiful. The bar area is nice - quite understated and while it doesn't serve draft it was perfect sizewise and service was good. Dinner was fabulous - we were part of a large group which made it challenging to serve us all but it was worth the wait. There is good variety on the menu. The Sea bass is to be highly recommended. Our room was fabulous and the no television was perfectly in line with the ethos of the place. I plan to return within a couple of months for a 'girlie' weekend to test out the spa facilities and am really looking forward to it. I would urge the management to keep up the good work!

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 August 2008

• Stayed: July 2008
Reviewed 31 July 2008

• Stayed: July 2008
Reviewed 29 July 2008

We stayed in Delphi in July - my wife, son, father in law and I - in one of the impeccably appointed suites. The design of the suites, and the resort in general, is inspired by nature in the use of stone, natural woods and colours that immediately relax the visitor. It is the one-ness with nature’s beauties that abound this place with which I was most impressed. I have the same feeling when we visit Yosemite or one of the other national parks in the American West. If any one has been in the Ahwanee Hotal in Yosemite you will know what I mean. The staff were totally courteous and willing to help at any time. The dining alone is worth coming for! The chef Reidy does an amazing job in the presentation as well as taste departments. I understand the chef is new and I forecast great success for the restaurant. We stayed 4 nights and were impressed by the freshness and taste that a food conoisseur in California would expect. Being Bordeaux wine drinkers, we were at home with the excellent Frank Phelan - why not celebrate the Irish who went abroad in centuries past and did the smart thing to buy a Bordeaux vineyard! The wine choice is dictated by the management's approach to select wine from the West of Europe, cutting down on transportation that comes with New World wines - which I agree with. My wife told me she enjoyed the spa treatment. We are in to the outdoors and enjoyed running on the beautiful hillside trails that are part of the resort property. My wife and I had been in Delphi years ago when it was only an adventure centre and we still have that adventure spirit. The resort could do better by mentioning the adventures to the casual visitors both on-line and on arrival. We always carry runners and hiking boots. I would suggest a “don’t forget to pack” list so people are not disappointed when they arrive. There are few places in the world with Delphi’s beauties and I feel it is important to enjoy them in a friendly, professional, epicurean manner that this resort can offer.
Best of luck to the management and staff in their future endeavours.
Barry

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 July 2008

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Leenane
Leenane Hotel
#2 of 13 in Westport
12 mi away
Ballynahinch Castle Hotel
Ardagh Hotel & Restaurant

Been to Delphi Resort? Share your experiences!