“What an amazing experience”
Review of Killary Sheep Farm

Killary Sheep Farm
Ranked #1 of 8 things to do in Leenane
More attraction details
Owner description: contains some of Ireland's most awe-inspiring and dramatic scenery including Killary Fjord. Sheepdog Demonstrations with highly skilled working dogs, feeding the lambs with bottles, Sheep shearing using the hand shears, turf cutting using the traditional method which visitors can try out this ancient method for themselves, walking trails, Great day out for all the family.
Ogden, Utah
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“What an amazing experience”
Reviewed 7 April 2014

We stopped by Killary Sheep Farm on our day tour with Extreme Ireland. Great authentic sheepherding farm that spans several generations. The landscape is beautiful, covered in peat moss...beautiful green hills with a view of the water, and plenty of bogs. Tom explained the process of bogging and the how it develops...very interesting. My favorite part was the sheepherding demonstration. Having a border collie, I was somewhat familiar with their intelligence, but had no idea how far away they can hear you without raising the tone of your voice. I tried it with mine...interesting :) At the end of our visit we had the opportunity to bottle feed the lambs. I fell in love with the place. Tom is so lucky to have grown up in, and to work in such a beautiful environment. His kindness, knowledge and patience will always be remembered. Thank you for such a wonderful experience. I would definitely recommend it!

1 Thank Sandra S

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Group of 24 enthralled with Killary!”
Reviewed 2 April 2014

I recently took a group of 24 American students to the Killary Sheep Farm in Connemara last month. This was part of a week-long stay in the west of Ireland, which was mostly centered in Galway. On the last day of our visit, we drove through the Connemara landscape --which is incredibly beautiful--with frequent stops for photo opportunities. Despite a long ride, the students arrived at the farm full of curiosity and energy. The herding dog, Roy, was a big hit as he worked to bring the sheep (in a faraway pasture) so they ran right up to us and on into their pen. I t was amazing to see how the dog could follow commands spoken (not shouted) about 300 meters away!

We then donned large rubber boots and hiked up a small hill to see how turf was cut. One of our students was recruited to cut turf, which was a lot of fun (and educational). Our visit ended when we were allowed to feed the baby lambs--the highlight of our visit for most.

I highly recommend this experience for anyone wanting to get off the beaten track and discover a more authentic Ireland than the Blarney Stone or various castles. It was a huge hit with my group.

1 Thank irishlass951
“Absolutely lovely!!”
Reviewed 17 March 2014

I really enjoyed this place. Friendly, genuine, and overall great experience!!! I would definitely recommend it!!!

San Francisco, California
“Great experience!”
Reviewed 27 December 2013

We stopped by Killary Sheep Farm on a day tour of Connemara and Galway. I had never seen sheep herded before and it was amazing to see how the dog could follow commands spoken (not shouted) about 300 meters away! It was also really cool to see how peat (turf) is harvested and get to touch the moss that decomposes into peat over the eons.
Tom the farmer was very friendly and provides raincoats, wellies (boots) and walking sticks - all very helpful on a blustery winter day!
I highly recommend visiting here, no matter the weather.

Visited December 2013
Saint Louis, Missouri
“A "Can't Miss" When Visiting Ireland”
Reviewed 30 November 2013

The stop at Killary Sheep Farm was not a planned stop, but it ended up as one of the highlights of the trip. Tom, the owner, was the epitome of Irish hospitality and incredibly generous with his time and expertise. Sweep stole the show as he herded the sheep, cozied up to the guests, and of course, posed for pictures. My mother and aunt were blown away by the experience and they were both very skeptical from the beginning, but raved about the visit for the rest of the trip and after we returned to the States. The only regret? We were not there during the shearing or lamb season, but even in late

Visited November 2013