“Don't bother staying here- view is the only real offering”
Review of Leenane Hotel

Leenane Hotel
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Leenane
Maple Grove, Minnesota
“Don't bother staying here- view is the only real offering”
Reviewed 4 August 2010

This hotel was terrible! The reception was less than desired. Upon arriving, the reception attendant couldn't find us our room so they put us in an adjacent building that was awful to say the least!! We had two rooms, one for my parents and one for my sister and I. The rooms we received were moldy, cobweb filled and full of spiders. Had to kill six spiders before going to bed. Felt unsafe being on the ground floor with a patio door instead of the actual hotel. We told the staff but she didn't speak english well enough to understand me so we got nowhere with a request for a change of room the following evening....I asked for management to follow up, they did not. The main room was interesting had a lot of potential but there as well, the furniture was old, musty and needed a serious cleaning! Also, my parents room had a broken toilet.
The day we checked out the breakfast service was terrible, breakfast not ready at stated time, the linens were dirty(perhaps from the prior night's service) and the actual service for breakfast, not good. Had to wait ten minutes for a simple cup of coffee! Toaster not working properly, food not good, you name it, it was bad.
The best thing about the place was the view and then leaving. Such a shame since the fjord is a site to see and the hotel a disgrace.
I was embarrassed to have my parents stay, had we not prebooked with a tourism site I would have cancelled the second night and spent time in a location elsewhere!
Overall, don't bother stay here, the view is the only real offering.

2 Thank smartestgal

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (169)
  • Polish first
Dublin
Reviewed 2 August 2010

I just stayed here for one night. We phoned on Friday and made the booking for the next day. It cost €90 for bed&breakfast for myself and my husband.

The room is old fashioned but at least it was clean!!

There is very poor sound proofing - we could hear the couple above us having an argument which was not pleasant! Someone had to knock on their wall to let them know half the hotel could hear them.....

There was a poor reception on the tv.

Breakfast was just okay.... it was disorganised.....

To be honest this hotel is more like a B&B. Go thinking it's a quaint old fashioned B&B and you won't be disappointed!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JaneDub
dublin
Reviewed 31 July 2010

We stayed in Leenane Hotel for 2 nights. Our group comprised of myslef and my wife and a friend and family with a child aged 1 yr. The hotel is in a great location. But the hotel is one of my worst experience and utterly disappointing. Our rooms were in the ground floor and the live music started at 10 pm 20 meters from the room and went on until 2 am. We were not informed about the disturbance that this could cause when we booked our rooms. The staff did not pay enough attention to our complaints and almost had a " get on with it" attitude. It looked like the hotel management and staff were having a great time almost like a "private party". Very irresponsible and very unforthcoming.

The lobby was unmanned most of the time and the telephone in the room was non functional. Over all very poor hospitality and a disgrace to "Failte Ireland". This hotel cannot be recommended at all.

Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank traveller77dublin
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 28 July 2010

The rooms were quite dirty with cobwebs in corners.
Breakfast was a big let down in my book.
Choice was poor and what we did get was
cold. The service was more akin to what you
would get in a hostel not a hotel.
Great location deserves better facilities.

2 Thank emmet95
Galway, Ireland
Reviewed 26 July 2010

Went on a romantic weekend break with my boyfriend. The location is fabulous and it is really that which kept me there. The food in the hotel restaurant and the bar were nice too to be honest. My main issue was with the room. We were put in a room in a different building than the hotel. It was 80s style with faded curtains and bedlinen. Clean - for the most part (the windows could have done with a wash), but kind of depressing. The floor was tiled and the TV had limited reception. I liked the quirky furniture in the room but that was about it. We had to go down fire escape steps in the rain to get to the restaurant and the bar, which is fine on the way...but not so hot on the way back.
I pretty much drove my boyfriend loopy being jealous of what looked like very nice rooms on the other side of the hotel...I'll never know.
The dinner on the Saturday evening was the nicest part of the stay there. The food was lovely. The service left a lot to be desired. Lots of foreigners serving the food who did not really get the language (English). I was not too impressed with the breakfast, and if you are looking for decaff coffee, be prepared for a description of what this is and, be prepared to get caffeinated.... (dangerous if you are me..).
The staff at reception find it difficult to get off the seats in the room behind reception and actually engage in a pleasant way with customers. I found them quite abrupt and not really that friendly or welcoming. A bit like 'you are in the middle of nowhere now...we have you....so we dont actually have to be nice'.
The main lounge in the hotel is interesting and the bar has some charm. The main advantage to staying at this hotel is that you are on the shores of Killary harbour and it is quiet. I dont think I will be back. Fine for a night , probably if you make sure you ask for the newer rooms....

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kevinthecamper
Ireland
Reviewed 17 July 2010

Hotel offered 3 B and B and 3 dinners for €149 per person and this was great value. Room was in older part of hotel and could do with refurbishment but was clean and quaint / quirky. I loved it and the view over the fjord was superb but I can see how others who expected a modern room would be disappointed. Food was superb. Great taste and choice on the set house menu. Service was hit and miss. One day breakfast seemed in complete disarray with a wait of 20 minutes. We were in no hurry and read the paper but they just seemed to have too few people on. Also the two brothers who run the place were absent on that morning and the woman who was in charge did not seem up to it. Area is superb but quiet. Go and visit. Sea water baths in same building were so relaxing, get your money off voucher at reception and try them for a great hour or two.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
ireland
Reviewed 9 July 2010

We stayed here from 05th-07th July and had a wonderful stay. Couldnt fault the hotel, except for the telephone not working to each room.
We arrived on Monday and were given rooms 37 and 44. Both rooms were clean with a fabulous view. 37 was very modern and 44 was fine for a single person. The other plus was that we were allowed our little dog.
The evening meal that evening was fantastic - fresh with five courses....we were stuffed and the dining room staff were wonderful....attentive and checking everything was in order. Breakfast was also perfect.....there was plenty there, however it could be improved by having a contential breakfast available also.
The view from the rooms is exceptional...breathtaking...this is a perfect hotel if you wish to relax .....

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Leenane
Delphi Resort
Ardagh Hotel & Restaurant
Peacockes Hotel
Peacockes Hotel
#1 of 3 in Maam Cross

Been to Leenane Hotel? Share your experiences!