“Magical Easter Weekend at Ballyvolane”
Review of Ballyvolane House

Ballyvolane House
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Fermoy
Reviewed 26 April 2011

Both adults and children were warmly welcomed into this fantastic home. The children were immediately off running on the beautiful grounds and the adults relaxed by the fire preparing for a stunning meal. I would highly recommend this venue for people of any age.

Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank spavery
Justybusty, Owner at Ballyvolane House, responded to this reviewResponded 15 June 2011

Thank you for staying and reviewing us so positively. We enjoyed having you all here over Easter. Glad the kids had a good time too. Please keep in touch. Thanks again, Justin

Reviewed 25 April 2011

I first read about Ballyvolane House in a high-end parenting magazine years ago. It sounded incredible and I was so happy be able to stay there on our recent vacation to Ireland. This place exceeded my already high expectations! We stayed for 3 nights but could easily have stayed longer.

I was traveling with 11 family members (ages 5-70) and there was something here for everyone. The kids (ages 5 & 7) loved the open space, trampoline and swing. One of their favorite memories of the entire trip was "helping out" with the farm chores one morning. They also fell in love with the family pets and enjoyed playing a bit with the Green's children.

We all enjoyed the beautiful grounds, well-appointed rooms and thoughtfully-decorated common spaces. The drawing room with it's crackling fire and free wi-fi was a great place for us all to gather at the end of a day. We even scaled back some of our sightseeing plans in order to be able to spend more time relaxing at Ballyvolane!

We enjoyed delicious food during our stay. Breakfasts were fabulous, afternoon teas/picnic lunches divine and a casual dinner was one of our best of the trip. They were happy to accommodate our special dietary requests and put together an amazing meal for us.

All of this was made possible by the friendly and helpful owners. The Greens were perfect hosts and as the planner for our group, I especially appreciated their willingness to share their local knowledge to help fine tune our itinerary for the rest of our time in Ireland. They even arranged a wonderful babysitter (someone who had been helping in the house so was comfortable for me and the kids) for us so we could enjoy an adult dinner in Cork one night.

If you are a looking for unique family-friendly, high-end accommodation a bit off the beaten path - you will not be disappointed here!

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank fatima12345

Thank you for staying with us and glad you enjoyed you stay here. We loved having you all here and we are still amazed at how much business the article in Cookie Magazine continues to bring to us. Hope to see you all again. Thanks again, Justin

Reviewed 28 October 2010

We stayed for one night only and i really wished we were able to stay longer. The house was something else. A LOT of thought was put into every detail. It was like being taken to a different time. Paintings, furniture, silverware, curtains, etc. looked very authentic, well-preserved and taken care of. Just the sheer magnitude of the place (high ceilings, big rooms, grand staircases) was impressive. We had a huge bathroom with an old tub (deepest i've ever seen, i.e. perfect for two), very comfortable bed, scented water for drinking, homemade cookies in a jar, and a lot of other cute things in the room.

We arrived at around 8pm. We didn't book dinner in advance, but they still accommodated us on very short notice. There was only one other couple who we shared both dinner and breakfast. There were 4 courses for dinner. The fish for the main course was just ok, the chocolate dessert was to die for, but overall the food was well prepared and plentiful. We had a bottle of house red, which was cheapest on the wine list, but pretty decent.

The hosts (husband-wife team) were very nice and obviously took pleasure in making our stay the best possible.

We couldn't really stay to walk all the grounds, but from what we saw, the place was very green, peaceful and relaxing with its own garden and a farm.

I wouldn't lie it is on the pricey side (85 euro a person for b&b, 55 euro a person for dinner). but it's definitely comparable in price to other mansions. However, we did stay in another mansion during this trip and in regards to overall experience, quality and grandness of the place, it doesn't come close. This was a real treat. Thank you.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank tatiana_d
Justybusty, Owner at Ballyvolane House, responded to this reviewResponded 6 January 2011

Thank you for staying with us and for your kind comments. Delighted you had a good time. Happy New Year

Reviewed 6 September 2010

We stayed at this country house for a weekend and had a wonderful time. It was built in 1720, so don't expect new furniture. It was warm, clean and comfortable and the owners and staff were welcoming and helpful. Situated in beautiful gardens, and off the beaten track, a peaceful nights sleep is a definite. What I particularly liked about it was, the relaxed attitude in the morning with regards to breakfast as it is served up until 12 noon. I would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with family
4  Thank TeresaMary

Thanks for your glowing review. We really enjoyed having you all here. We offer a real alternative to the conventional family hotels in Ireland. Best wishes. Justin

Reviewed 12 August 2010

It's hard to relax while traveling with a preschooler and an infant but we were able to here. The house is beautiful but welcoming and comfortable and the grounds are fantastic. My son loved the treehouse and the trampoline especially. The Greens arranged a babysitter for us and we were able to enjoy a wonderful dinner with the other guests. The food, dinners and breakfasts were great, fresh and excellently prepared.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank imtgh

Thank you very much for your review. Glad you all had a good time. Best wishes, Justin

Reviewed 15 July 2010

Real life seems so boring once you've been lucky enough to stay at Ballyvolane House. My partner and I are just back from 2 weeks in Ireland, and this was definitely a highlight of our trip. The property itself is magical - I actually felt like I was in The Secret Garden crossed with Howards End with a little Brideshead Revisted thrown in for good measure. The attention to detail is stunning and everything is handled with an unobtrusive chicness. Favorite moments included playing with the most adorable puppy in the world Dumpling in the back yard, exploring the grounds and the gorgeous walled garden, luxuriating in the antique bath and coming downstairs for tea next to a roaring fire. Don't even think of going anywhere for dinner (unless it's to Justin and Jenny's restaurant O'Brien Chop House in town - also excellent). The contemporary farm-to-table philosophy crossed with traditional country house cooking is spot on. Even a simple green salad was totally memorable - literally just whisked in from the garden. Following after dinner drinks with your new friends you've met that evening, you retire to your room where, as if by magic, the bed has been turned down, the lamps are on and you can fall asleep as the wind blows through the ivy surrounding your windows. What they are doing there is amazing, unforgettable and singular. We will most certainly be back.

Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mrchiplambert

Thank you for staying and for reviewing. Delighted you had a good time and please keep in touch. Kind regards,
Justin

Reviewed 13 July 2010

A few years ago, my sister and I read an article about Ballyvolane House in Cookie Magazine. We were so impressed that we vowed to visit while our children were still young. This year, I was invited to speak at a conference in Dublin, and we decided that this would be the perfect opportunity to take a side trip to this magical home.

Planning a trip for 10 people ages 4 to 64 is not an easy task. However, Justin and Jenny were able to accommodate all our needs from my initial email in the spring through our departure at the end of June. The house was spotless, the beds were so comfortable, the gardens were enchanting and the staff were able to maintain the perfect level of attentiveness, without ever crossing over into being intrusive. The two breakfasts and two dinners we had were incredible (do NOT believe posts to the contrary - I would list both dinners in the top 10 of my life for taste/service/ambiance and lively conversation with our fellow guests - and we eat out several times a week) - they even made special meals for my sister who is a vegetarian. The honor bar next to the sitting room was fabulous as well, and kept us well "hydrated" throughout our stay. It also spared us from making repeated trips into town to stock up on beverages or to disturb the staff to uncork wine/open bottles late into the evening.

Most importantly, our children (ages 4,7 and 8) were entertained the entire stay. From exploring the gardens, to feeding the pigs, to collecting eggs for our breakfast, to playing with the dogs on the property - they were happy the whole time. The children even dined with Justin and Jenny's three children while the adults had drinks in the sitting room - as a neurotic New Jersey mom who has traveled all over Europe, America and the Caribbean, I would NEVER have expected to feel comfortable leaving my daughter in a separate room and enjoying a drink with other adults. My husband and I never have used a babysitter or a "kids club" on any of our vacations for our daughter. There is a feeling of safety and comfort when you enter Ballyvolane that is evident from the moment that you arrive - because of that, I can honestly say that I have not been as relaxed on a vacation with my daughter as I was the three days we spent there.

Needless to say, I would highly recommend this hotel to any traveler. In fact, I believe that Ballyvolane House would be reason enough to get on a plane to Ireland as my husband and I are planning to do (with our daughter) in the near future. We also plan to have a family reunion there with extended family in the upcoming years. Thank you Justin and Jenny!!!

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank gmorganlcsw

Wow, what a review. Thank you so much for staying and reviewing. Thrilled you enjoyed Ballyvolane House and please come and see us again soon.

Best wishes,

Justin

Also consider these accommodations in or near Fermoy
Castlemartyr Resort
#1 of 2 in Castlemartyr
Midleton Park Hotel
#1 of 2 in Midleton
Montenotte
The Montenotte Hotel

Been to Ballyvolane House? Share your experiences!