“Ballyvolane is Fantastic!”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Fermoy
Oconomowoc
“Ballyvolane is Fantastic!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2013

If you love country manor house accommodations as I do, Ballyvolane House is so lovely words can't describe. The house and estate are stunningly beautiful, historic, and very nicely located in proximity to Blarney, Cashel, Tipperary, Glen of Aherlow, Kinsale and more. On this particular stay, my husband and I decided to do something completely different: we tried their "glamping" accommodation. After reading other comments on Trip Advisor, I thought it sounded like fun and surprised my husband. We stayed in many types of accommodation on our trip, and this was something we had not done before. Because the house has limited space with six rooms, I think it was a brilliant idea to offer glamping as an alternative. We had a lot of fun with it, and we also very much enjoyed the house itself and walking the estate. The breakfast is served in their lovely dining room and was delicious. The sitting rooms have ample reading material and a cozy fire. There are many lovely places inside and out to sit and relax surrounded by beauty. In the house there is an honor bar with pretty much any drink one could want available. The staff are courteous and kind, and the gentleman of the house can often be found chatting with guests and offering helpful tips, maps, etc. We did not partake in their dinner, only because we did not know what our schedule would be, but they have a very fine chef and I would imagine it is a wonderful experience. On the glamping: the shower/ bathroom facilities are very nice. There are ample private shower stalls, towels, hair dryers, etc. The tent experience is fun, sort of like an adventure, but I also think it would be a challenge in very rainy weather or very chilly weather. Luckily this did not happen during our stay, but something to consider. I would highly recommend this lovely place, and hope to return!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Trish B
Justybusty, Owner at Ballyvolane House, responded to this review, 13 November 2013
Thank you very much for glamping with us and for your review. I am delighted you had a great time and it certainly does appeal to those with a sense of adventure and romance.

Our glamping tents are available from May to September only which is the warmest time of year and we take them down during the winter months as it's too cold for camping.

Thanks again and I hope you will come and stay with us again soon.

Justin

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2013

Ballyvolane House was the choice of my colleague for her wedding last Thursday. I had never visited the house before but had only heard good things , and so I was curious, as were we all.
We were about 100-120 at the reception.
From the moment we set foot on the gravel drive leading up to this magnificent country house we were in heaven. The sun shone , which helped of course but nothing could surpass the service from start to finish. ( I will get to the food).
The servers met us outside with Elder-flower Bellini s, Elder-flower cordial, and Champagne. (as I make Elder-flower cordial each year I was thrilled. We walked through the beautiful interior, with the hand painted doors ( with delicate florals on each panel) out through the boot area and onto the lawn. A large Indian style marquee was erected ( in case of rain - and being Ireland it duly obliged) Garden seats were at either end of the long wooden bench , most casual, most stylish. We were served canapes throughout and they were flavoursome from start to finish.
Following this we moved across gravel paths and lawns into the ' Grub area' .This is an area, say, a permanent side tent attached to a stone out building which houses a rustic dancing area, painted wooden bar and loos etc. I believe the showers for the Yurts are housed here too. We had a peek inside one of the tents or yurts and they were beautifully and comfortably set out.
So , onto the meal:
Along the path rustic wooden signs pointed us in the right direction. We were seated at circular tables for ten. The menu read amusingly. ' Half the garden soup'!! and it did contain half the garden. Pear, Desmond cheese, walled-garden rocket salad with St Tola goats cheese, garden beetroot, rocket and pine nut salad. So fresh, stunning.
The main was Chargrilled butterflied leg of Mc Graths lamp with Salsa verde, Summer greens, dressed garden salad leaves.. The lamb was melt in the mouth. The greens were so fresh they nearly stood up and said Hi!! the dressings were just wonderful... Next came the puddings/sweets. A trio of Creme brulee, summer berry compote, and homemade vanilla ice cream. Now, I had run out of space but I was assured they were yummy. There were many Artisan cheeses etc set out on the sideboard.. coffee etc with Red Velvet wedding cake. (the bride is from the US ).
All I can say, as I am running out of superlatives, is that I felt I was eating in someones private house having an excellent meal- such was the relaxed atmosphere and the unobtrusive nature of the staff. Everyone I spoke to ( working there) appeared to love their work, know their product and delight in giving good service.
I cannot recommend this establishment enough. I would dearly love to return and stay overnight. For that very special occasion ( or maybe just a treat) absolutely beautiful. Thank you.
Please note, for obvious reasons I cannot comment on Price /value.

Room Tip: There are stunning bedrooms in the house, but look at the Yurts ( If that is what one would call the...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank RealFoodIreland
Dear RealFoodIreland,

Thank you very much for your fantastic review. I am delighted you had such as good time at the wedding and I will share your kind comments with all the team here at Ballyvolane House.

Thanks again and I hope you will come and see us again soon.

Leicester, England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2013 via mobile

We have just returned from a 3 night stay at Ballyvolane house and it really is a charming place to stay. We are used to holidays in hotels so this time we decided to go for something completely different and use their 'glamping tents' it was really nice, the tents are 3m bell tents and inside they are big enough to stand up in, you get a comfy bed with nice feather pillows and a duvet, you also get a glamping goodie box which contains chocolate shortbread, water, fruit and apple juice. The tents are all pitched in the gardens at the back of the croquet lawn and there is a pathway that takes you down to the loos and showers, these facilities are also very good and there were also always lots of lovely white towels to use!

The hosts Justin and Jenny are absolutely lovely and made us feel very welcome! Also all of the staff at the house are lovely too! really helpful and also good at making recommendations on where to visit. On our last night we had torrential rain so they insisted we stayed in the main house! We thought that this was really kind of them!

There are six rooms in the house and i have been told by a few of the guests that they are all very nice. We had breakfast each morning in the main house and this is included into the price of your stay, the choice and quality was excellent!! I could not find one thing to criticise!

We didnt have dinner at the house in the evening as we felt it was a little expensive at 55 euro a head and this does not include wine, you also dont get a choice as it is a set menu, so we ventured out in the evening.

We drove each night to a town called Middleton which is approx ten miles away. We went to three restaurants whilst we were there; finnins, leonardos and sage, the food was good at all of them. If you like fish then finnins is a must! My husband had the seafood platter and i had the pan fried salmon! Delicious!

If you are thinking of going here then a car is an absolute must! We weren't going to hire one and i am so glad we did!!!!

After we had been out for dinner we would go back to the house for a drink, they run an 'honesty bar' and there is a good selection of everything. Wine is 6 euro a glass and a glass of baileys is 5 euros.

I would definitely recommend a stay here, especially if you like peace and tranquility!!! We will definitely be going back!!!!

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank NikkiSkins
Dera NikkiSkins,

Thank you very much for glamping with us and for your review. I am delighted you had a great time here and we really enjoyed having you here.

Thanks again and please keep us in mind if you are planning another trip to Ireland.

Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2013

A great venue for a wedding and the perfect spot for a country break. We were fortunate enough to have our wedding reception at Balyvolane House and the extraordinarily high quality of the food, even when serving a large group, is matched by the friendliness and professionalism of the owners Justin and Jenny and their staff. The house has a creaky charm that is hard to describe and really needs to be seen and the gardens are beautiful yet mysterious. It isn't hard to see why the house has been featured in print and on tv quite a lot recently and I recommend that you visit if you can.

Room Tip: Don't worry about the room, you'll be we'll looked after.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank gougherdg
Dear gourherdg,

Thank you very much for your lovely review. I am delighted you enjoyed the wedding, the house, the gardens, the food and the friendly service and I will share your kind comments with all the team here at BH. We do work hard to preserve the integrity of the house and grounds and especially it's sense of mystery which is so appealing.

Thanks again for reviewing and please come and see us again soon.

Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2013

I recently attended a wedding here and have to say I was very impressed. I thought the whole reception was pure class from the moment we arrived to the moment we left. We were lucky in that we had fine weather which allowed us to loiter in the gardens while enjoying the drinks reception and also the cutting of the cake. There were activities on site (i.e. football nets and croquette) to keep the children and older children occupied too.

The food was tasty and the staff were mostly friendly. The dance hall was small and I suppose intimate.

My only criticism is that the venue is located close to three bigger towns (Fermoy, Lismore and Midleton) and as a result a lot of the guests were scattered around the place and there was the hassle of trying to get home at the end of the night although we did have a bus.

While I didnt take up the option of glamping I did check out the tents and felt that they were quite small especially for a couple attending a wedding who would be carrying formal attire.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Justybusty, Manager at Ballyvolane House, responded to this review, 9 August 2013
Dear Kavo85,

Thank you very much for your review and I am delighted you enjoyed the wedding here at Ballyvolane House. Thank you very much for your comments concerning the accommodation nearby. We always strongly emphasize to our wedding couples that they should have everyone staying in one hotel or one town nearby as it is much easier ferrying everyone home to one location as opposed to dropping people off to several towns and villages in the area. We also insist that two minibuses are available from 11.30pm onwards which would be running back-to-back throughout the night dropping guests back to their accommodation. This means the wedding guests don't have to wait for long for the next bus home. The transport home is usually a very slick operation and guests would usually have to wait no more than 30 minutes for the next bus home. The reason we insist on buses is because it is almost impossible to get taxis here late at night. We can accommodate almost 40 people on-site between the house, the cottage and in the glamping tents.

The glamping tents are comfortable and spacious (4 metres and 5 metres in diameter) and you can actually stand upright in them. Each tent is equipped with a hanging rail with hooks from the centre pole from which guests can hang their dresses or formal attire. There is also a heated wash house with showers and loos adjacent to the camping area which are equipped with full-length mirrors. good lighting and hair-dryers so guests can get ready before the wedding starts.

Thanks again for your comments and I hope you will come and try out our glamping tents or stay in the house sometime soon.

Lancaster, PA, USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2013

While the bedroom pictures looked great (we later were given a tour and indeed they are-- surprisingly "plush"), we were curious about Ballyvolane's "glamping" (Glamorous Camping) option. Our family of four (parents and late teens kids) decided to give it a go and rent a tent for 2 nights midweek in June and draw on the house's assets, whatever they proved to be.

The verdict? The House: 5 stars. Dinner? Do it! Glamping? In its way, and if you are prepared to accept what it is, it works.

The House: It is old and genteel and creaky in the best of senses, authentic with books, art, large doors, high ceilings, fireplaces in use (even on summer evenings), spaciousness, a sense you're not at "lodging" but visiting an aristocratic relative. One afternoon, we helped ourselves to croquet equipment and had a match on the large croquet lawn, the friendly house dogs nearby, chasing sticks. We ordered afternoon tea, which staff was only too happy to promptly deliver wherever we chose (warning: tea is an extra charge).

The Dinner: If you stay here, have dinner at BVH at least once. You don't order from a menu, rather you take the daily offering (remember, your aristocratic relative is serving you) though they talk to you to make sure it will suit. The food is very fine if, shall we say, "conservatively" prepared (a good thing, if you think about it). The true dining treat is the setting and service. The traditional dining room, candles, seamless waitstaff moving efficiently from course to course, not hampering the conversation with other guests at your table, It is all very different and fun, with all the courses, including a cheese/ port course. How often does one do that?

Glamping? The good: Fine sheets, pillows, a good mattress on a frame off the tent floor, hot water bottles, creature comforts, candles.

The "bad": Do expect drips on the tent through the night. A little damp. Early summer sunrise with birds. You might sleep better on Night 2 than Night 1. But, hey. This is Ireland. It rains and is moist. One has to expect these things, right? Also, the facilities are a 50 meter walk or so, but in their defense they are new and warm and have hair dryers and are clean and otherwise terrific.

So I'll take BVH glamping for what it is. I doubt there are many who do it better. Also, Glampers are NOT treated like second class citizens, as they have full reign of, say, the house parlor and grounds and walled garden, etc. And while I wouldn't classify BVH as "value" lodging (I am almost bumped it to a 4 DOT rating for this reason), in its way, BVH is as different and memorable as anything we did on our 10 days in Ireland. As was once said, you'll remember the quality long after you've forgotten about the cost.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank GregorGourmand
Justybusty, Owner at Ballyvolane House, responded to this review, 14 August 2013
Dear GregorGourmand,

Thank you very much for glamping and dining with us. I would also like to thank you for the review and I am delighted you had a good time. We are very interested in receiving feedback about our glamping as it is a new venture for us and we are constantly striving to improve our offering. I will share your feedback with all the team here. We recently added more hair dryers to the glamping wash house in response to guests comments.

Thanks again and I hope you will visit us again soon.

Cork, Cork, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2013

i recently did a wedding in Ballyvolane and i was so impressed.The location for photos was perfect ,both inside and outside.The food,service and all the staff were so friendly and welcoming-they couldnt do enough.I loved how relaxed the whole place is and once again it would be difficult to find better anywhere in Ireland.Well done,God bless from Daithi Mac an Bhiocaire

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
Justybusty, Owner at Ballyvolane House, responded to this review, 27 June 2013
Thank you very much for the fantastic review. So glad you enjoyed the house, the grounds, the food and service. We have a great team working here and I am always really pleased when it shows.

Thanks again and please come see again soon.

Justin
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fermoy
Castlemartyr Resort
The River Lee
The River Lee
#2 of 23 in Cork
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,314 reviews

Been to Ballyvolane House? Share your experiences!