“You will want to photograph every charming detail in this beautiful country house!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Ballyvolane House

and 1 more site!
Ballyvolane House
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Fermoy
Los Angeles
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 September 2013

My teenage daughter and I spent one night at Ballyvolane. It was our favorite stay in Ireland (Ard na Sidhe, Bantry House, Dromoland Castle) and a favorite on our trip (JK Place, Florence; Soho Hotel, London; Thoumieux, Paris).

We drove from Cork City using Google Maps on our phone. Once off the main road, we found plenty of signs to direct us to the house. It took us about 40 minutes.

Jenny and Justin, the proprietors, set the tone for this gracious country estate. They are a youngish couple, super attractive, with a family. I believe they said they met in Hong Kong while at hotel school.

The house is filled with eclectic furnishings. The front parlor has black columns, orange walls, dark hardwood floors, velvet sofas, piano, and a large oriental vase filled with pussy willows. The fire was lit in the evening. The fabrics may be a bit worn but that seems to just add to the charm and warmth of it all. Really beautiful.

There were a few quirky details like the door knob to the front door just fell off in my hands. But, basically the door sat ajar and it felt like another example of the open door, open arm welcoming aspect of this country home.

The bedrooms are all upstairs on a long hallway lined with old pictures, and a variety of rugs mismatched going down the length of the hall. There are no room numbers and rooms do not have keys. As Justin mentioned, all keys were lost about 100 years ago!

We specifically booked the room with the stag head bathroom. Our room had really high ceilings and huge windows overlooking the grassy backyard. The windows were dressed with floral chintz curtains - all beautifully made and interlined. There was a a seating area and the king size bed was supremely comfortable. Again many of the furnishings have seen a bit of wear but there was absolutely no skimping on the quality of the mattress or bed linens. We slept better than ever!

Some details that we really enjoyed were:

Welcome homemade chocolate biscuits and elderflower syrup
Friendly greeting - one of the girls whisked my heavy bag up to my room
Serve-yourself bar in the entrance hall with lots of choices (and lots of ice)
Beautiful grounds with old mossy trees
Hen house fresh eggs in the morning
Excellent Irish soda bread that you can cut yourself to the desired thickness
Dinner shared with other travelers
Fantastic homemade dessert of panna cotta
Piano
Charming collections of Barbour jackets hanging in the hall, wellington boots all lined up, fishing gear hanging on the wall, sporting equipment at the ready by the front door...

Jenny prepares an excellent dinner. She emailed us ahead of time and asked if we had any dietary restrictions/requests. She honored our requests. I would guess that it is difficult for her to accommodate last-minute requests as the Ballyvolane is in the country and not close to any stores. Much of what is served is grown on the property.

We dream of going back to the Ballyvolane House. There was another couple staying at the Ballyvolane House while we were there and they felt like us, if you go to Ireland, you MUST stay here.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank pricklypoppy
Justybusty, Owner at Ballyvolane House, responded to this review, 13 November 2013
Thank you very much for staying with us last summer. I would also like to thank you for the fantastic review and you have captured the spirit of Ballyvolane House perfectly. I will share you kind comments with all the gang here.

Thanks again and please come and see us again when you are next visiting Ireland.

Justin

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Laguna Niguel, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 September 2013

We stayed at BVH during the middle of our trip. When we arrived my husband was quite frustrated and stressed from driving and getting lost in Cork City. This was to be the highlight of the trip for me, so I was disappointed at the state we arrived in. But all that quickly faded as we were treated to tea and delicious chocolate cake. Mmmm. Dinner on both nights was fantastic and dining with the other guests was fun and interesting. We were all able to swap travel stories. The grounds were lovely, a kind of psuedo-Downtown Abbey fantasy. And the little pooch "dumplin'" made the manor house a "home". Definitely the highlight of our trip.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Jennifer C
Thank you so much for staying and for the great review. I am thrilled you had a great stay and enjoyed the grounds, the food, the company and especially our terrier Dumpling.

Thanks again for your kind comments and I hope you will come and see again on your next visit to Ireland.

Justin

PS Dumpling sends her best wishes too!
Oconomowoc
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2013

If you love country manor house accommodations as I do, Ballyvolane House is so lovely words can't describe. The house and estate are stunningly beautiful, historic, and very nicely located in proximity to Blarney, Cashel, Tipperary, Glen of Aherlow, Kinsale and more. On this particular stay, my husband and I decided to do something completely different: we tried their "glamping" accommodation. After reading other comments on Trip Advisor, I thought it sounded like fun and surprised my husband. We stayed in many types of accommodation on our trip, and this was something we had not done before. Because the house has limited space with six rooms, I think it was a brilliant idea to offer glamping as an alternative. We had a lot of fun with it, and we also very much enjoyed the house itself and walking the estate. The breakfast is served in their lovely dining room and was delicious. The sitting rooms have ample reading material and a cozy fire. There are many lovely places inside and out to sit and relax surrounded by beauty. In the house there is an honor bar with pretty much any drink one could want available. The staff are courteous and kind, and the gentleman of the house can often be found chatting with guests and offering helpful tips, maps, etc. We did not partake in their dinner, only because we did not know what our schedule would be, but they have a very fine chef and I would imagine it is a wonderful experience. On the glamping: the shower/ bathroom facilities are very nice. There are ample private shower stalls, towels, hair dryers, etc. The tent experience is fun, sort of like an adventure, but I also think it would be a challenge in very rainy weather or very chilly weather. Luckily this did not happen during our stay, but something to consider. I would highly recommend this lovely place, and hope to return!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Trish B
Thank you very much for glamping with us and for your review. I am delighted you had a great time and it certainly does appeal to those with a sense of adventure and romance.

Our glamping tents are available from May to September only which is the warmest time of year and we take them down during the winter months as it's too cold for camping.

Thanks again and I hope you will come and stay with us again soon.

Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2013

Ballyvolane House was the choice of my colleague for her wedding last Thursday. I had never visited the house before but had only heard good things , and so I was curious, as were we all.
We were about 100-120 at the reception.
From the moment we set foot on the gravel drive leading up to this magnificent country house we were in heaven. The sun shone , which helped of course but nothing could surpass the service from start to finish. ( I will get to the food).
The servers met us outside with Elder-flower Bellini s, Elder-flower cordial, and Champagne. (as I make Elder-flower cordial each year I was thrilled. We walked through the beautiful interior, with the hand painted doors ( with delicate florals on each panel) out through the boot area and onto the lawn. A large Indian style marquee was erected ( in case of rain - and being Ireland it duly obliged) Garden seats were at either end of the long wooden bench , most casual, most stylish. We were served canapes throughout and they were flavoursome from start to finish.
Following this we moved across gravel paths and lawns into the ' Grub area' .This is an area, say, a permanent side tent attached to a stone out building which houses a rustic dancing area, painted wooden bar and loos etc. I believe the showers for the Yurts are housed here too. We had a peek inside one of the tents or yurts and they were beautifully and comfortably set out.
So , onto the meal:
Along the path rustic wooden signs pointed us in the right direction. We were seated at circular tables for ten. The menu read amusingly. ' Half the garden soup'!! and it did contain half the garden. Pear, Desmond cheese, walled-garden rocket salad with St Tola goats cheese, garden beetroot, rocket and pine nut salad. So fresh, stunning.
The main was Chargrilled butterflied leg of Mc Graths lamp with Salsa verde, Summer greens, dressed garden salad leaves.. The lamb was melt in the mouth. The greens were so fresh they nearly stood up and said Hi!! the dressings were just wonderful... Next came the puddings/sweets. A trio of Creme brulee, summer berry compote, and homemade vanilla ice cream. Now, I had run out of space but I was assured they were yummy. There were many Artisan cheeses etc set out on the sideboard.. coffee etc with Red Velvet wedding cake. (the bride is from the US ).
All I can say, as I am running out of superlatives, is that I felt I was eating in someones private house having an excellent meal- such was the relaxed atmosphere and the unobtrusive nature of the staff. Everyone I spoke to ( working there) appeared to love their work, know their product and delight in giving good service.
I cannot recommend this establishment enough. I would dearly love to return and stay overnight. For that very special occasion ( or maybe just a treat) absolutely beautiful. Thank you.
Please note, for obvious reasons I cannot comment on Price /value.

Room Tip: There are stunning bedrooms in the house, but look at the Yurts ( If that is what one would call the...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank RealFoodIreland
Dear RealFoodIreland,

Thank you very much for your fantastic review. I am delighted you had such as good time at the wedding and I will share your kind comments with all the team here at Ballyvolane House.

Thanks again and I hope you will come and see us again soon.

Leicester, England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2013 via mobile

We have just returned from a 3 night stay at Ballyvolane house and it really is a charming place to stay. We are used to holidays in hotels so this time we decided to go for something completely different and use their 'glamping tents' it was really nice, the tents are 3m bell tents and inside they are big enough to stand up in, you get a comfy bed with nice feather pillows and a duvet, you also get a glamping goodie box which contains chocolate shortbread, water, fruit and apple juice. The tents are all pitched in the gardens at the back of the croquet lawn and there is a pathway that takes you down to the loos and showers, these facilities are also very good and there were also always lots of lovely white towels to use!

The hosts Justin and Jenny are absolutely lovely and made us feel very welcome! Also all of the staff at the house are lovely too! really helpful and also good at making recommendations on where to visit. On our last night we had torrential rain so they insisted we stayed in the main house! We thought that this was really kind of them!

There are six rooms in the house and i have been told by a few of the guests that they are all very nice. We had breakfast each morning in the main house and this is included into the price of your stay, the choice and quality was excellent!! I could not find one thing to criticise!

We didnt have dinner at the house in the evening as we felt it was a little expensive at 55 euro a head and this does not include wine, you also dont get a choice as it is a set menu, so we ventured out in the evening.

We drove each night to a town called Middleton which is approx ten miles away. We went to three restaurants whilst we were there; finnins, leonardos and sage, the food was good at all of them. If you like fish then finnins is a must! My husband had the seafood platter and i had the pan fried salmon! Delicious!

If you are thinking of going here then a car is an absolute must! We weren't going to hire one and i am so glad we did!!!!

After we had been out for dinner we would go back to the house for a drink, they run an 'honesty bar' and there is a good selection of everything. Wine is 6 euro a glass and a glass of baileys is 5 euros.

I would definitely recommend a stay here, especially if you like peace and tranquility!!! We will definitely be going back!!!!

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank NikkiSkins
Dera NikkiSkins,

Thank you very much for glamping with us and for your review. I am delighted you had a great time here and we really enjoyed having you here.

Thanks again and please keep us in mind if you are planning another trip to Ireland.

Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2013

A great venue for a wedding and the perfect spot for a country break. We were fortunate enough to have our wedding reception at Balyvolane House and the extraordinarily high quality of the food, even when serving a large group, is matched by the friendliness and professionalism of the owners Justin and Jenny and their staff. The house has a creaky charm that is hard to describe and really needs to be seen and the gardens are beautiful yet mysterious. It isn't hard to see why the house has been featured in print and on tv quite a lot recently and I recommend that you visit if you can.

Room Tip: Don't worry about the room, you'll be we'll looked after.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank gougherdg
Dear gourherdg,

Thank you very much for your lovely review. I am delighted you enjoyed the wedding, the house, the gardens, the food and the friendly service and I will share your kind comments with all the team here at BH. We do work hard to preserve the integrity of the house and grounds and especially it's sense of mystery which is so appealing.

Thanks again for reviewing and please come and see us again soon.

Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2013

I recently attended a wedding here and have to say I was very impressed. I thought the whole reception was pure class from the moment we arrived to the moment we left. We were lucky in that we had fine weather which allowed us to loiter in the gardens while enjoying the drinks reception and also the cutting of the cake. There were activities on site (i.e. football nets and croquette) to keep the children and older children occupied too.

The food was tasty and the staff were mostly friendly. The dance hall was small and I suppose intimate.

My only criticism is that the venue is located close to three bigger towns (Fermoy, Lismore and Midleton) and as a result a lot of the guests were scattered around the place and there was the hassle of trying to get home at the end of the night although we did have a bus.

While I didnt take up the option of glamping I did check out the tents and felt that they were quite small especially for a couple attending a wedding who would be carrying formal attire.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Justybusty, Manager at Ballyvolane House, responded to this review, 9 August 2013
Dear Kavo85,

Thank you very much for your review and I am delighted you enjoyed the wedding here at Ballyvolane House. Thank you very much for your comments concerning the accommodation nearby. We always strongly emphasize to our wedding couples that they should have everyone staying in one hotel or one town nearby as it is much easier ferrying everyone home to one location as opposed to dropping people off to several towns and villages in the area. We also insist that two minibuses are available from 11.30pm onwards which would be running back-to-back throughout the night dropping guests back to their accommodation. This means the wedding guests don't have to wait for long for the next bus home. The transport home is usually a very slick operation and guests would usually have to wait no more than 30 minutes for the next bus home. The reason we insist on buses is because it is almost impossible to get taxis here late at night. We can accommodate almost 40 people on-site between the house, the cottage and in the glamping tents.

The glamping tents are comfortable and spacious (4 metres and 5 metres in diameter) and you can actually stand upright in them. Each tent is equipped with a hanging rail with hooks from the centre pole from which guests can hang their dresses or formal attire. There is also a heated wash house with showers and loos adjacent to the camping area which are equipped with full-length mirrors. good lighting and hair-dryers so guests can get ready before the wedding starts.

Thanks again for your comments and I hope you will come and try out our glamping tents or stay in the house sometime soon.

Justin
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fermoy
Castlemartyr Resort
#2 of 23 in Cork
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,284 reviews
Midleton Park Hotel
#1 of 2 in Midleton

Been to Ballyvolane House? Share your experiences!