All reviewshot water bottlesdrawing roomhonesty barwedding receptionglamping tentsdelicious foodthe barnwedding venueopen firepre dinner drinksfishing triplively conversationmemorable stayhigh expectationslittle toucheswonderful christmasvery comfortable room
Reviewed 18 September 2013

We stayed at BVH during the middle of our trip. When we arrived my husband was quite frustrated and stressed from driving and getting lost in Cork City. This was to be the highlight of the trip for me, so I was disappointed at the state we arrived in. But all that quickly faded as we were treated to tea and delicious chocolate cake. Mmmm. Dinner on both nights was fantastic and dining with the other guests was fun and interesting. We were all able to swap travel stories. The grounds were lovely, a kind of psuedo-Downtown Abbey fantasy. And the little pooch "dumplin'" made the manor house a "home". Definitely the highlight of our trip.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jennifer C
Justybusty, Owner at Ballyvolane House, responded to this reviewResponded 13 November 2013

Thank you so much for staying and for the great review. I am thrilled you had a great stay and enjoyed the grounds, the food, the company and especially our terrier Dumpling.

Thanks again for your kind comments and I hope you will come and see again on your next visit to Ireland.

Justin

PS Dumpling sends her best wishes too!

Reviewed 21 August 2013

If you love country manor house accommodations as I do, Ballyvolane House is so lovely words can't describe. The house and estate are stunningly beautiful, historic, and very nicely located in proximity to Blarney, Cashel, Tipperary, Glen of Aherlow, Kinsale and more. On this particular stay, my husband and I decided to do something completely different: we tried their "glamping" accommodation. After reading other comments on Trip Advisor, I thought it sounded like fun and surprised my husband. We stayed in many types of accommodation on our trip, and this was something we had not done before. Because the house has limited space with six rooms, I think it was a brilliant idea to offer glamping as an alternative. We had a lot of fun with it, and we also very much enjoyed the house itself and walking the estate. The breakfast is served in their lovely dining room and was delicious. The sitting rooms have ample reading material and a cozy fire. There are many lovely places inside and out to sit and relax surrounded by beauty. In the house there is an honor bar with pretty much any drink one could want available. The staff are courteous and kind, and the gentleman of the house can often be found chatting with guests and offering helpful tips, maps, etc. We did not partake in their dinner, only because we did not know what our schedule would be, but they have a very fine chef and I would imagine it is a wonderful experience. On the glamping: the shower/ bathroom facilities are very nice. There are ample private shower stalls, towels, hair dryers, etc. The tent experience is fun, sort of like an adventure, but I also think it would be a challenge in very rainy weather or very chilly weather. Luckily this did not happen during our stay, but something to consider. I would highly recommend this lovely place, and hope to return!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Trish B

Thank you very much for glamping with us and for your review. I am delighted you had a great time and it certainly does appeal to those with a sense of adventure and romance.

Our glamping tents are available from May to September only which is the warmest time of year and we take them down during the winter months as it's too cold for camping.

Thanks again and I hope you will come and stay with us again soon.

Reviewed 28 July 2013

Ballyvolane House was the choice of my colleague for her wedding last Thursday. I had never visited the house before but had only heard good things , and so I was curious, as were we all.
We were about 100-120 at the reception.
From the moment we set foot on the gravel drive leading up to this magnificent country house we were in heaven. The sun shone , which helped of course but nothing could surpass the service from start to finish. ( I will get to the food).
The servers met us outside with Elder-flower Bellini s, Elder-flower cordial, and Champagne. (as I make Elder-flower cordial each year I was thrilled. We walked through the beautiful interior, with the hand painted doors ( with delicate florals on each panel) out through the boot area and onto the lawn. A large Indian style marquee was erected ( in case of rain - and being Ireland it duly obliged) Garden seats were at either end of the long wooden bench , most casual, most stylish. We were served canapes throughout and they were flavoursome from start to finish.
Following this we moved across gravel paths and lawns into the ' Grub area' .This is an area, say, a permanent side tent attached to a stone out building which houses a rustic dancing area, painted wooden bar and loos etc. I believe the showers for the Yurts are housed here too. We had a peek inside one of the tents or yurts and they were beautifully and comfortably set out.
So , onto the meal:
Along the path rustic wooden signs pointed us in the right direction. We were seated at circular tables for ten. The menu read amusingly. ' Half the garden soup'!! and it did contain half the garden. Pear, Desmond cheese, walled-garden rocket salad with St Tola goats cheese, garden beetroot, rocket and pine nut salad. So fresh, stunning.
The main was Chargrilled butterflied leg of Mc Graths lamp with Salsa verde, Summer greens, dressed garden salad leaves.. The lamb was melt in the mouth. The greens were so fresh they nearly stood up and said Hi!! the dressings were just wonderful... Next came the puddings/sweets. A trio of Creme brulee, summer berry compote, and homemade vanilla ice cream. Now, I had run out of space but I was assured they were yummy. There were many Artisan cheeses etc set out on the sideboard.. coffee etc with Red Velvet wedding cake. (the bride is from the US ).
All I can say, as I am running out of superlatives, is that I felt I was eating in someones private house having an excellent meal- such was the relaxed atmosphere and the unobtrusive nature of the staff. Everyone I spoke to ( working there) appeared to love their work, know their product and delight in giving good service.
I cannot recommend this establishment enough. I would dearly love to return and stay overnight. For that very special occasion ( or maybe just a treat) absolutely beautiful. Thank you.
Please note, for obvious reasons I cannot comment on Price /value.

Room Tip: There are stunning bedrooms in the house, but look at the Yurts ( If that is what one would call them) or Glamping tents. There is communal dining inside in the main house. This is at a very long dining table so people are not on top of each other....this house is too stylish for that.!!!
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank RealFoodIreland
Justybusty, Owner at Ballyvolane House, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2013

Dear RealFoodIreland,

Thank you very much for your fantastic review. I am delighted you had such as good time at the wedding and I will share your kind comments with all the team here at Ballyvolane House.

Thanks again and I hope you will come and see us again soon.

Reviewed 27 July 2013 via mobile

We have just returned from a 3 night stay at Ballyvolane house and it really is a charming place to stay. We are used to holidays in hotels so this time we decided to go for something completely different and use their 'glamping tents' it was really nice, the tents are 3m bell tents and inside they are big enough to stand up in, you get a comfy bed with nice feather pillows and a duvet, you also get a glamping goodie box which contains chocolate shortbread, water, fruit and apple juice. The tents are all pitched in the gardens at the back of the croquet lawn and there is a pathway that takes you down to the loos and showers, these facilities are also very good and there were also always lots of lovely white towels to use!

The hosts Justin and Jenny are absolutely lovely and made us feel very welcome! Also all of the staff at the house are lovely too! really helpful and also good at making recommendations on where to visit. On our last night we had torrential rain so they insisted we stayed in the main house! We thought that this was really kind of them!

There are six rooms in the house and i have been told by a few of the guests that they are all very nice. We had breakfast each morning in the main house and this is included into the price of your stay, the choice and quality was excellent!! I could not find one thing to criticise!

We didnt have dinner at the house in the evening as we felt it was a little expensive at 55 euro a head and this does not include wine, you also dont get a choice as it is a set menu, so we ventured out in the evening.

We drove each night to a town called Middleton which is approx ten miles away. We went to three restaurants whilst we were there; finnins, leonardos and sage, the food was good at all of them. If you like fish then finnins is a must! My husband had the seafood platter and i had the pan fried salmon! Delicious!

If you are thinking of going here then a car is an absolute must! We weren't going to hire one and i am so glad we did!!!!

After we had been out for dinner we would go back to the house for a drink, they run an 'honesty bar' and there is a good selection of everything. Wine is 6 euro a glass and a glass of baileys is 5 euros.

I would definitely recommend a stay here, especially if you like peace and tranquility!!! We will definitely be going back!!!!

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank NikkiSkins

Dera NikkiSkins,

Thank you very much for glamping with us and for your review. I am delighted you had a great time here and we really enjoyed having you here.

Thanks again and please keep us in mind if you are planning another trip to Ireland.

Reviewed 18 July 2013

A great venue for a wedding and the perfect spot for a country break. We were fortunate enough to have our wedding reception at Balyvolane House and the extraordinarily high quality of the food, even when serving a large group, is matched by the friendliness and professionalism of the owners Justin and Jenny and their staff. The house has a creaky charm that is hard to describe and really needs to be seen and the gardens are beautiful yet mysterious. It isn't hard to see why the house has been featured in print and on tv quite a lot recently and I recommend that you visit if you can.

Room Tip: Don't worry about the room, you'll be we'll looked after.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank gougherdg

Dear gourherdg,

Thank you very much for your lovely review. I am delighted you enjoyed the wedding, the house, the gardens, the food and the friendly service and I will share your kind comments with all the team here at BH. We do work hard to preserve the integrity of the house and grounds and especially it's sense of mystery which is so appealing.

Thanks again for reviewing and please come and see us again soon.