“Comfortable, clean, cheap!”

Ranked #1 of 1 Holzgunz B&B and Inns
Warwickshire, England
“Comfortable, clean, cheap!”
Reviewed 9 January 2014

I stayed here for 2 nights in January before my flight from Memmingen airport. Given that the room was 70 euros for the 2 nights, I had low expectations but was very pleasantly surprised with an immaculately clean room, comfortable bed (I slept very well), bathroom with good shower and satellite TV. Some of the things that other reviewers have said are true - the hotel is in a farming village so, yes, there are farm smells around, but my room smelled only of fresh laundry. And yes, the staff speak little english (why do english speakers expect the whole world to speak perfect english?! The arrogance!) but I found them to be friendly.

The hotel is in a small village, there is not much to see! (You can get a bus in to Memmingen.) This is a good 'stopover' location.

Breakfast was included and consisted of a pot of coffee, nice fresh bread rolls, meats, cheese and a good selection of jams etc - I enjoyed it.

I also found it easy to get to the airport from here by bus - there is a bus stop around the corner to get to Memmingen ZOB (the station) for about 2 euros, which takes you to the next bus stop for a 3 euro bus trip to the airport.

All in all, I would definitely recommend this hotel for a good clean and reasonably priced stopover.

• Stayed January 2014

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Bucuresti
Reviewed 4 September 2012

Certainly wouldn't like to stay there longer then one day.
As we walked in to the place, we found a bar and a group of people at a table staring at us as if we were aliens.
There was a typical animal-smell all over the place. Location in the middle off nowhere.
No phone in the room, poor bad and pillow, no balcony.
The doors are closed at night. One decided to leave hotel early in the morning may be found himself trapped.
There are quite a lot commuters early in the morning that drive past the hotel, request a room at the backside if you are a light sleeper.
Hallways and staircase area smelt a bit funny. If you're flying to/from Memmingen, there are no buses early or late in the day. Taxi was only about 12 euro though.
The owner and all staff does not speak English, French, Italian, Spanish, etc. Only german.
They accept only cash, so be prepare to have enough.

Room Tip: Rooms on the back side are quieter
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Anton63
Dublin
Reviewed 23 June 2011

This hotel was the worst one I have ever stayed at in my entire life. There was a stench of urine in the halls (from the pub toilets) and into the bedrooms. The dining room was full of dead flies on the window sills and live flies everywhere, landing on food (breakfast) and on us. I think it is a truely awful place to stay. It is not even a 1 star in my opinion and if health and safety people checked it, I am sure it would be closed down. We basically ran out of the place when leaving the next morning.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank JFLDublin

Been to Schwarzer Adler? Share your experiences!