“A lovely Sunday day out”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Hinton Ampner

Hinton Ampner
Fareham, United Kingdom
173 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 158 helpful votes
“A lovely Sunday day out”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2014

Having become NT members this year we making the most of it, and in visiting Hinton Ampner we weren't disappointed. With a 12 yr old boy in tow, we look for a balance of things to do and Hinton Ampner ticked most of the boxes, great environment, pleasant gardens and nice house (ground floor only), not forgetting the restaurants serving lovely cream tea's. Hinton Ampner itself is just off the A272 with ample free parking. As I said we are members, but the entry fee seemed pretty consistent with this type of NT property. The gardens are a cross section of large kitchen garden, more formal garden and then parkland (with numerous sheep). The reception provides maps for walks, which was a nice touch, we took the tree walk, taking a circuit of numerous ancient oaks etc. As stated on our visit only the ground floor was open due to storm damage, but what was available was to a high standard with the always helpful NT volunteers to answer question etc. We only had the cream tea in the restaurant, which was reasonably priced, with plenty of outdoor seating on a nice day. Personally I think visiting such places are great for families, an opportunity to enjoy the outdoors. experience whatever level of culture you want, and in this day and age keeps costs in control without too overt commercialism.

Visited June 2014

• Arabic first
  • Polish first
Hampshire, United Kingdom
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Disappointing gardens”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2014

After being disappointed last year with the state of the gardens, my family and I went to see if there was any improvement. Sadly this was not the case. Over the past few years, there has been a definite deterioration. Weeds and bare patches everywhere, neglected plants, no colour. I could go on. I'm amazed at some of the recent complimentary reviews. Yes, the views and location are lovely, but you don't need to pay to see lovely views around these parts. The only redeeming feature that I could see at Hinton Ampner is the walled garden at the entrance. Most NT gardens are good, but personally, I can't say that about Hinton Ampner.

1 Thank JKC69
Northampton
50 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 56 helpful votes
“Delightful Afternoon Visit”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2014

This was our second visit here, our first around this time last year.

Unfortunately only the ground floors were opened this time as the first floor is closed, as they are using it to store furniture they brought down, when the roof was damaged in the storms in February. As we had been here before, it wasn't a problem for us. There are very friendly room guides who are very knowledgeable.

The gardens are beautiful and the topiary make some lovely shapes around the lawns and shrubs and we enjoyed smelling some beautifully fragrant roses that reminded me of when I was young. We had a delightful visit.

Havant, United Kingdom
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Relaxing day out”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2014

We arrived just after opening time and it was very peaceful, the sun shone most of the day and we enjoyed our picnic in the garden which is quite extensive. Although the roses are almost at an end, the garden did have some colour, in some places it is well manicured and in others fairly wild which for me added to its charm. The ground floor of the house is lovely, we will return when the upstairs has reopened. The staff were very friendly and informative, all credit to them. I would also mention the wartime exhibition of when the Portsmouth Grammar School girls were billeted there, it was fascinating and reminded me of the stories my parents told me of their own experiences of the blitz in Portsmouth. All in all a lovely day out.

Winchester, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Peaceful”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2014

My first visit to Hinton Ampner Garden and house. I have been meaning to visit for some time as it is one of the nearest National Trust properties to where I live. I do agree with the other reviews that the scenery is lovely and it is a peaceful, relaxed place. I wasn't very impressed by the gardens though. I would have expected a lot more colour and scent in the garden at this time of year.
It did look as if the gardens away from the house had been left to manage themselves. In comparison I much prefer the gardens at Mottisfont. I may visit again to take in one of the long walks around the estate but not to specifically see the gardens.