Positives: restaurant staff were excellent and the all-inclusive buffet was good with excellent variety each day. Snorkelling was amazing with so many beautiful fish.
Negatives: transport from male was supposed to be pre-arranged by speedboat but when we arrived we were told we were going by seaplane and we were supposedly overweight because the weight limit was less than advised. Automatic $60 payment! Also seaplane option meant we had no control when we had to check out when we expected to be able to spend whole last day at the resort. Therefore we had to leave at 14:55 for a 23:50 flight and spend over 6 hours in the airport and we could not even check in and the lounge was not opened until 2 hours before the flight. Also, the resort made us get on the boat 45 mins before our seaplane arrived when the landing dock was literally 5 mins from shore so we sat there bobbing about waiting unnecessarily.
When we got to the resort the beach villa they gave us was right next to the island generator which meant a constant loud humming noise. Added to this was that there was no beach at all in front of the villa, just bricks. With the money paid we expected more so requested to move to be told there was nothing available apart from if we wanted to pay $900 a night to upgrade!! We refused and eventually were given another villa on the other side of the island the next day. This villa didn't have any hammock unlike most other villas as the only downside but at least it had beach and was very peaceful.
The staff on reception were really unhelpful generally and only when a manager stepped in was anything ever resolved. Even check out was a palava with 3 staff telling us we could have a late check out but then at the last minute we wee told we couldn't have it. Eventually, again after a manager stepped in we were allowed to shower in another villa before check out.
Decor of the villa was tired in some places with slopping painting and cracks. The outdoor bath also could not fill up as the plug did not work.
If we were honeymooners, which luckily we were not this would not be the resort to go to as there were so many young children and babies making every meal entertaining with screaming and crying and running youngsters. The same for the beaches with not enough loungers. Families would reserve all loungers early even though they wouldn't use them.
Although there was beautiful weather and amazing waters, if I were to return to Maldives I wouldn't choose centara again...sorry.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Surrounded by a stunning house reef that is a kaleidoscope of colour for snorkellers, and distinctive with its timbered walkways and colonial-style buildings, the five-star Centara Grand Island Resort & Spa Maldives is a barefoot paradise. With the Ultimate All-Inclusive concept, your stay is absolutely carefree meaning that all meals, spa treatments, activities and water sports, daily excursions, and even diving are all included. Weatherboard villas, thatched-roof buildings, a white-sand beach and sparkling lagoon are the setting for your honeymoon or fun-filled family holiday. Villas and beach suites are generously-sized (86-159 square metres); the over-water villas enjoy their own sundeck with steps down to the multihued coral reefs. Special villas for families have bunk beds in a children’s area, and you can also enjoy the option of an overwater villa with plunge pool. When it comes to dining, all your meals – and more – are included. Sumptuous champagne breakfasts are available at Reef Restaurant, lunches and dinners are to be enjoyed at the Azurri Mare Italian Restaurant, the Suan Bua Thai restaurant or Reef Restaurant. There are two bars on the island. Voted as Maldives’ most family-friendly resort two years in succession, the island has the ideal family itinerary: activities at the age-specific kids’ clubs, water activities like banana boat and tube rides, water sports, and pool games by thea children’s pool. Anyone in need of some deep relaxation can enjoy the daily spa treatments at Spa Cenvaree, yoga sessions, or simply laze beachside. Beside water sports and one of the best PADI dive centres in the Maldives, the resort’s house reef and lagoon provide fascination for snorkellers, and just off the reef there is a dedicated shipwreck that offers easy diving and a close-up view of turtles and whale sharks, manta rays, and surgeonfish. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Ebookers, Southall Travel, Agoda, Destinology, Holiday Gems, Travelbag, Odigeo, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U. and HotelQuickly so you can book your Centara Grand Island Resort & Spa Maldives reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Centara Grand Island Resort And Spa
- Centara Grand Island Hotel Centara Grand Island
- Centara Grand Island Resort & Spa Maldives