We had the utmost pleasure of staying at Centara this February and would go back in a heartbeat. Myself and my mum treated ourselves to this amazing holiday and it was the first time for both of us in the Maldives. Between us we are well travelled and so have experienced a variety of resorts but both of us agreed this was one of the best we have ever come across.
Firstly the island is stunning but on top of the turquoise waters and spotless white powder sand (staff get up early each morning to clear the beach) you have amazing food, a fabulous house reef and service which is unbeatable.
We stayed in a Deluxe Water Villa and had paid the extra for Island Club. We were more than happy with the Water Villa over the Sunset Villas as we felt our terrace had more sun later in the day and the sun loungers were not as exposed (we had a screen on one side whereas in the Sunset Villas the platform protrudes out from the terrace so you are exposed from all sides!)
We stayed in No.94 which was perfect, not too far to walk to the main restaurants and bars, sun most of the day and also plenty to see snorkelling directly off from the villa steps. In fact boats of divers from other islands were regularly dropped off in front of our villa so it was obviously a good spot!
In terms of Island Club, we loved it. We both prefer to drink premium spirits as we don’t get on very well with local ones and it meant little extras that really helped such as free Wifi, free mini bar (great if sunbathing or snorkelling in your villa all day) and sunbed service. Also, the food served in the Island Club restaurant was outstanding. All the restaurants served great food but some of our favourite dishes were from Island Club. You also have access to the swimming pool. As we mostly sunbathed and snorkelled at our villa and used the Island Club pool, I cant comment on the main pool but I am guessing it would have been busier and at times we were the only ones using the Island Club pool and sunbeds – it felt like our own private pool with waitress service!
However, the food is more than adequate at all the other restaurants so if you are not too bothered about premium spirits, Wifi, mini bar or the extra touches like sunbed service then rest assured you will still have a fabulous time!
The Reef restaurant changed its theme each night: Italian, Indian, Japanese, Chinese – one guest commented it was like Masterchef every night! The Thai restaurant was superb and the Seafood restaurant, well the best lobster we have ever tasted!!
We never once walked past a member of staff without them greeting us and when my Mum casually mentioned she was unable to eat nuts to one waitress, every bar and restaurant we subsequently went to knew about it and made sure they didn’t serve her any. The waiters and waitresses make the effort to get to know what you like to drink either at breakfast, lunch or dinner and remember it each time.
There is not much going on in the way of entertainment past 10pm in the evenings, but that suits the laidback feel of the island. For the more adventurous the snorkelling is outstanding, there is the opportunity for diving and I would highly recommend a wind surfing lesson, great fun and really reasonably priced for a 1 on 1 lesson.
The spa is beautiful and we both had lovely massages. Really worth booking one.
A few reviews seem to mention bugs. Well we saw 2 cockroaches the whole week. I had packed jungle strength mosquito spray as I am prone to being bitten but we didn’t see a single mosquito the whole week!
Due to co-ordinating flights from various countries, there is sometimes a wait for the connection at the sea plane airport but it is more than worth it once you arrive.
We hope to go back to Centara again, we’re not sure any other hotel could live up to our expectations now!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Centara Grand Island Resort & Spa Maldives: Set amongst the perfect islands and blue ocean of South Ari Atoll (Alifu Atoll) in the republic of Maldives, Centara Grand Island Resort & Spa Maldives delivers a unique 5 star resort experience and offers the ultimate in barefoot luxury along with a range of exciting activities that will appeal both to couples and families.Featuring 112 suites & villas, the resort offers diving enthusiasts outstanding diving opportunities including an excellent house reef complete with a dedicated sunken ship wreck and is within easy reach of the top dive spots in the Maldives. The resort offers all guests a premium all-inclusive vacation experience, along with a perfect white sand beach and the crystal clear water of the Indian Ocean.Centara Grand Island Resort & Spa Maldives offers more than simply daytime sun, sea, and sand. The resort features a variety of dining options, pools, recreation activities, Sports and Fitness facilities, bars and lounges with nightly entertainment, SPA Cenvaree, and a Kids Club. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Destinology, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Travelbag, Holiday Gems, Odigeo and Southall Travel so you can book your Centara Grand Island Resort & Spa Maldives reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Centara Grand Island Resort And Spa
- Centara Grand Island Hotel Centara Grand Island
- Centara Grand Island Resort & Spa Maldives