We spent a week here in April 2012. We flew into Centara on a seaplane which was amazing. The views were spectacular, as was the first glimps of centara.
Unfortunately both myself and my husband had a sickness bug (that we took with us not from the resort) whilst we were at Centara. As I was preganant at the time the hotel staff arranged for the doctor to visit me. The doctor was very nice too.
All the staff were incredibly helpful during our stay. We had the same waiter each day and they remembered us and were very friendly.The selection of food at the buffet each day was very good. My one complaint would be that in the evenings there wasn't any plain food (that I was craving after my sickness bug). I did order chips one evening from the bar (at room service prices!) just for something plain and boring! The thai restaurant was lovely, the selection and quality was very good.
Our favourite meal was at the fish restaurant. The food and service was truly excellent. The island band came to visit the restaurant (I think that they go round all three restaurants each evening) and they did a request for each table...they were fantastic and they have a great repertoire of songs. They really made our holiday.
The pool was lovely and we loved to just sit and look out over the ocean. It was quiet when we were there and there was never a problem getting a sun lounger.
We chose to stay in a sunset villa...wow it was fantastic. We had great views of the ocean (from the bed!!) and two levels of balcony outside to sunbathe...pure luxury! They were definitely worth the extra money.
We snorkled most days off our sunset villa, the coral and fishes were beautiful. We also hired a pedalo and sailed around the island. I would really recommend this, it doesn't take long but it gives a good view of the whole island.
Due to me being pregnant (and our bugs) we didn't get a chance to do many excursions. There are lots to choose from and they looked really good. We did do a sunset cruise which was really good. The amazing colours of the sunset against the ocean was really something to see,
We would definitely recommend this hotel.
There weren't many children on the island and I would say more of a couples holiday.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Surrounded by a stunning house reef that is a kaleidoscope of colour for snorkellers, and distinctive with its timbered walkways and colonial-style buildings, the five-star Centara Grand Island Resort & Spa Maldives is a barefoot paradise. With the Ultimate All-Inclusive concept, your stay is absolutely carefree meaning that all meals, spa treatments, activities and water sports, daily excursions, and even diving are all included. Weatherboard villas, thatched-roof buildings, a white-sand beach and sparkling lagoon are the setting for your honeymoon or fun-filled family holiday. Villas and beach suites are generously-sized (86-159 square metres); the over-water villas enjoy their own sundeck with steps down to the multihued coral reefs. Special villas for families have bunk beds in a children’s area, and you can also enjoy the option of an overwater villa with plunge pool. When it comes to dining, all your meals – and more – are included. Sumptuous champagne breakfasts are available at Reef Restaurant, lunches and dinners are to be enjoyed at the Azurri Mare Italian Restaurant, the Suan Bua Thai restaurant or Reef Restaurant. There are two bars on the island. Voted as Maldives’ most family-friendly resort two years in succession, the island has the ideal family itinerary: activities at the age-specific kids’ clubs, water activities like banana boat and tube rides, water sports, and pool games by thea children’s pool. Anyone in need of some deep relaxation can enjoy the daily spa treatments at Spa Cenvaree, yoga sessions, or simply laze beachside. Beside water sports and one of the best PADI dive centres in the Maldives, the resort’s house reef and lagoon provide fascination for snorkellers, and just off the reef there is a dedicated shipwreck that offers easy diving and a close-up view of turtles and whale sharks, manta rays, and surgeonfish. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Holiday Gems, Booking.com, Southall Travel, Expedia, Prestigia, Agoda, Fastbooking, Hotels.com, Cancelon, Evoline ltd, TripOnline SA, 5viajes2012 S.L. and Ebookers so you can book your Centara Grand Island Resort & Spa Maldives reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Centara Grand Island Hotel Centara Grand Island
- Centara Grand Island Resort And Spa
- Centara Grand Island Resort & Spa Maldives