I have given it 5 stars as we had a fabulous time, a few imperfections as is expected anywhere.
we booked through Angelfish who had been to the resort were excellent and competitive.
Positives- The staff in the hotel are great, nothing is too much trouble, mainly Maldivian. All very helpful.
Beach out of this world, white white sand.
Snorkeling impressive- turtles, sharks, lots of healthy coral abundance of fish, all from the shore. Equipment and life vests provided. Whale shark excursion bit choppy, lots of vomiting but amazing to swim with this massive fish!
Room- We had a 2 bed beachfront pool villa, very spacious for 2 adults 2 teenagers. 2 bedrooms & lounge & small upstairs loo. aircon excellent. good minibar, soft drinks & beer.
Gym nice views, better than I expected.
Food- good quality, slightly limited choice but on an island where all is imported not bad. My daughter nut allergic and very helpful staff, no problems. the Thai restaurant even recooked the entire set menu for her nut free!
Drinks- excellent choice and nice wine- sparking French white, Chilean sauv blanc, good NW reds , margaritas.
There was so much to do, I was expecting to lie around, no chance - excursions, snorkeling, gym, cocktails, fish feeding, pedalo, banana boat rides, spa. other families there too which was good. weather forecast looked grim but we had sun most of the time, some rain storms, quite hot & humid.
Negatives- main prob is booking dinner, only 2 al a carte choices- 1.Italian (queue to book at 11.30am, not quite what u want to do on holiday!) or 2.set meal Thai not sure could eat that more than once/ twice, al a carte choices would be good here. The buffet was excellent but again mainly Asian food.
The other main issue is the Sea Plane transfer- to took us 5 hours from landing at Male to get to the hotel. This was after demanding to see the Sea Plane manager as we were hanging around with no info re delays. Not ideal after a sleepless overnight flight. Centara need to sort this out quickly! maybe get their own plane service organised.
Overall a really amazing holiday though.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Surrounded by a stunning house reef that is a kaleidoscope of colour for snorkellers, and distinctive with its timbered walkways and colonial-style buildings, the five-star Centara Grand Island Resort & Spa Maldives is a barefoot paradise. With the Ultimate All-Inclusive concept, your stay is absolutely carefree meaning that all meals, spa treatments, activities and water sports, daily excursions, and even diving are all included. Weatherboard villas, thatched-roof buildings, a white-sand beach and sparkling lagoon are the setting for your honeymoon or fun-filled family holiday. Villas and beach suites are generously-sized (86-159 square metres); the over-water villas enjoy their own sundeck with steps down to the multihued coral reefs. Special villas for families have bunk beds in a children’s area, and you can also enjoy the option of an overwater villa with plunge pool. When it comes to dining, all your meals – and more – are included. Sumptuous champagne breakfasts are available at Reef Restaurant, lunches and dinners are to be enjoyed at the Azurri Mare Italian Restaurant, the Suan Bua Thai restaurant or Reef Restaurant. There are two bars on the island. Voted as Maldives’ most family-friendly resort two years in succession, the island has the ideal family itinerary: activities at the age-specific kids’ clubs, water activities like banana boat and tube rides, water sports, and pool games by thea children’s pool. Anyone in need of some deep relaxation can enjoy the daily spa treatments at Spa Cenvaree, yoga sessions, or simply laze beachside. Beside water sports and one of the best PADI dive centres in the Maldives, the resort’s house reef and lagoon provide fascination for snorkellers, and just off the reef there is a dedicated shipwreck that offers easy diving and a close-up view of turtles and whale sharks, manta rays, and surgeonfish. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Holiday Gems, Booking.com, Expedia, Prestigia, Agoda, Southall Travel, Ebookers, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly, 5viajes2012 S.L., Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your Centara Grand Island Resort & Spa Maldives reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Centara Grand Island Hotel Centara Grand Island
- Centara Grand Island Resort And Spa
- Centara Grand Island Resort & Spa Maldives