“Amazing Honeymoon Destination”

Centara Grand Island Resort & Spa Maldives
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Amazing Honeymoon Destination”
Reviewed 14 January 2014

My husband and I went here as part of our honeymoon in October 2012. Was the most amazing place I've been to, would go back in a heartbeat. We had a Luxury Sunset Water Villa and also did the Island Club and I would definitely say that it is worth the money. Would definitely do that again if we went back. Having everything all inclusive was awesome and it meant we didnt have to worry about anything the whole time we were there - apart from the extras like going to other islands, whale shark snorkelling etc. We were in villa # 61 which is the western most villa on the island, so we had almost 270 degree views of sunsets. Get this villa if you can!

We also did the whale shark snorkelling, which you won't regret if you go. We were lucky enough to see two whale sharks, and I have to say, it was one of the highlights of the trip.

The staff at Centara Grant Island Resort & Spa are amazing. To be honest I can't speak highly enough about this place and the people. It truly is heaven on earth!

Room Tip: Villa #61!
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank KristynCY

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (310)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Carpenders Park
Reviewed 12 January 2014

Firstly I would like to thank Voytek, Kris and their teams for a fantastic Holiday.

We went the first two weeks in October. We were due to have a room in Island Club but was not informed by our Travel Agent the Club was closed for refurbishment so this was a real suprise to find out on our arrival.We sill managed to get some of the extras throughout the property but on our last afternoon they opened up the Club just for me & Mum to try so guess what we can't wait to return

Staff cannot do enough for you, drinks arrived without needing to order. All so friendly, food really good but would have been nice to see more seafood on the menu. Even invited to the Staff Party on the Beach real nice touch.

Look forward to seeing you all again soon

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank LizCarpendersPark
Ireland
Reviewed 11 January 2014 via mobile

This is our second year visiting this island. We arrived on the 28th December and stayed until 9th January. Other than air Maldivian mucking up the flight times- 3 hours delay in Male - not the resorts fault. We arrived to this wonderful island to a great welcome.

Since last year their has been great improvements with more to come- from new bars, dinning facility and wonderful new island club. New Year's Eve party on the beach was even better than last year!

Food was super in all restaurants, staff more than helpful and pleasant and the spa treatments to die for. Special thank you to Jeab. Staff in the island club- Babita, Christine, Shameila and the wonderful chef.

A very big thank you to Voytek and the wonderful management team and to all the staff!

The Irish family will be back next year

Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank Murphyireland
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 January 2014 via mobile

I visited this wonderful hotel with my family this month and had the most incredible experience! The location and hotel itself is beautiful - with incredibly clear waters and coral reefs surrounding the rooms. I have definitely never experienced such beautiful surroundings before. The staff are fantastic and went beyond expectations - very friendly, helpful, and attentive. If you are a water sports fan (and even if not) there are various fun activities that could be enjoyed by the whole family such as snorkelling, banana boat, parasailing etc. I went with my family on the Whale Shark snorkelling boat trip which I highly recommend! Overall I had an amazing experience in this hotel and will definitely go back.

Stayed January 2014
2 Thank Nataly E
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 30 December 2013

My wife and I decided to celebrate Christmas with a short 4 night break to the Maldives. We chose the Centara based upon traveller reviews in trip advisor and because of the all inclusive package.

To generalise the reviews appeared to categorised into travellers who had paid extra for the island club and were delighted with their holiday, and travellers who had not. We paid extra for the island club and also for a waterfront villa and we were not disappointed.

From Male we took the standard flight with Flyme to Maamagilli and boat transfer option to the island. The transfer went smoothly without major hitch and we were the only people on the boat transfer. We were warmly welcomed at the hotel and after a much needed lunch went straight to the spa to book our treatment sessions for each day and then to the watersports desk to pick up snorkelling equipment.

Our daily routine thereafter comprised gym, spa treatment, eating and drinking, snorkelling, sleeping, reading, eating and drinking again. As noted below we had a very relaxing stay:-

(i) We thoroughly enjoyed the daily spa treatment massages.

(ii) In terms of restaurants we both enjoyed the Island Club and Azurri the most. We ate at these two establishments on more than one occasion and were not disappointed. Christmas Eve was an obligatory buffet at the Reef and was notable for the band and staff singing Christmas carols and also Santa Claus getting everyone in the festive spirit. We ate at the Reef and Lotus (thai) on one occasion each and both agreed that the Island Club and Azzuri were better.

(iii) My wife and I are not strong swimmers but we thoroughly enjoyed snorkelling directly off the back of our villa. Boats ferrying divers from other islands were often seen unobtrusively during the day which suggests that the coral reef was some of the best in the area.

(iv) The island Club was kept very clean and was sensibly laid out, catering for couples as well as families.

(v) All of the staff that we met were extremely helpful and professional. In particular we would take the opportunity to mention the island club staff in particular (Christine, Anushika, Sham, Shamila, Babitta and Chandu) who went out of their way to make our holiday special, and contributed to our contemplating whether or not to extend the holiday.

In terms of criticisms we had a few minor gripes, but they are only minor:-

(i) We recommend taking a laptop - whilst there is wifi available, there is no business lounge available to keep in touch with family and friends and to keep up to date with what is happening elsewhere in the world. In addition, although advertised as being available, there were no international newspapers. There was also no dvd library, though the island club did have a number of books.

(ii) The waterfront chalet on stilts was lovely and well maintained by housekeeping. The tv channels available were better than expected (films, sport and news). However we would agree with other comments that the unfenced balcony is not safe for young children. We both felt that the balcony was in need of general maintenance and upgrade.

Would we return to the Maldives? - we have fond memories of this trip so quite possibly.

If we did would we return to Centara? - again quite possibly, but there are many other islands to explore and if we did we would probablygo for a dual centre holiday breaking up the journey in Male for a few days before transferring to an island.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Alan C
Volgograd, Russia
Reviewed 28 December 2013

We have booked Centara Grand Island Resort, Maldives for 12 nights. We've been here for 3 days only, so the review will be updated. I am traveling with the family with small kids. We have booked 2 rooms- Luxury sunset villa on the water and Deluxe suite on the beach. We are here for the New Year, so prices were higher and we paid over 40 000 dollars for 2 rooms on all-inclusive basis. I have been to similar resorts before, including one in Thailand. Centara offers to experience Thai hospitality in their resort, which was one of the reasons I chose to come here in the first place. However, based on my experience, Centara has nothing to do with Thai hospitality. The reason I say that, is because there is no 'I'm willing to help' attitude. I don't feel that staff wants to make my stay as enjoyable, as possible.

Reservation.

I have booked rooms through official Centara Website. After I've sent my booking request, I was contacted by sales department. They requested a copy of my passport, copy of my credit card and authorization form, which I had to sign and send back. I was requesting to be charged in US dollars, and in the authorization form the total amount was in US dollars. However, the local bank charged me in my home currency, even though I have US dollar bank account. So the total charge was 3 thousand more than the original amount agreed. After a week of emailing the sales department, 3 thousand was credited back to my bank account. So if you want to be charged in dollars, you better mention it to the sales department.

Arrival.

At the airport we were greeted by Centara staff and escorted to water plane check-in. Water plane transfer turned out to be a disaster. They had some technical problems with the plane, so we had to wait around 2 hours in the terminal with two little children. Kitchen in the local cafe was closed, and only chocolate and drinks were offered. We ended up taking a regional flight to another island, where Centara staff met us with the hotel boat and it took around 20 minutes to get to Centara Island. Staff was very helpful with all the arrival issues and made a check in very smooth.

Rooms.

In general rooms are rather outdated, but clean. Outside bathtub in deluxe suite was painted and the paint is coming off. I guess that it is not what you would expect from luxury resort. I would say that rooms are on the smaller side, especially deluxe suite on the beach. Each deluxe suite is semi-detached. So one wall is shared with neighbors, and it is rather thin, you can hear the other people. On the positive side, suites are located just by the ocean on the beach. There are no problems with wifi.
In Sunset villa on the water (we stay in room 70) there is no wifi in the room! Even though they say there is wifi in every room. When I approached reception with this problem saying that I need it for work, I was told that I should go outside to smoking area and use wifi there. Not an answer I would expect for the amount I've paid. I have approached reception again today, will give an update later. Each villa has a terrace with sun beds and you can go snorkeling straight from the terrace. Our villa does not offer too much privacy. Terrace is overlooked by 2 other villas on each side. Air conditioner is on the louder side. Bathroom in sunset villa is large and nice. Bed is huge. I do not recommend staying in sunset water villa with young kids, as it is very easy for them to fall into the water. There are no fences on the way to the room and terrace.
There is a free minibar in every room which is refilled daily with beer, soft drinks and chocolate. There are also water, tea and coffee in the room. Bathroom amenities are limited. No cotton pads or buds.

Food and Drinks.

There are 4 restaurants on the island- main, Italian, Thai and Japanese. If you want to have lunch or dinner somewhere other that the main restaurant you have to book a table in the morning for dinner and the night before for lunch. Places are limited. Japanese restaurant is actually a counter in the main restaurant with 12 seats. In average the food on the island is ok. Do not expected a wide variety of fish and seafood included in your all-inclusive plan. They only have seafood plates starting from 70$. Italian restaurant was really nice. Food in the main restaurant is average, not the biggest choice I've seen and rather spicy. They have kids menu in every restaurant. Today we went to Thai restaurant for lunch. I am pescetarian, which means I only eat fish and vegetables, no meat. I've asked for vegetarian set menu, because they only had one type of marinated fish which I did not feel like eating. I was unpleasantly surprised when the waiter said that chef will not cook vegetarian menu for me, unless I am a 'real' vegetarian, and brought fish for me. Not the attitude I would expect for the price I've paid. Very disappointing.
Even though it's ultimate all inclusive, not all the drinks are included, unless you are a member of an Island Club. They do not offer any fresh juices (even for breakfast) or Mojitos with all-inclusive plan. Fresh orange juice costs 8 dollars each. I was also surprised when I've tried ordering latte for dinner. I was told that only cappuccino is included in all-inclusive plan, and they charge for latte. They have a choice of wines included, but the quality is average and below. Do not expect much. However, they have some nice cocktails at the bar, which are included.

Spa.

I am a spa fan, and I visit spa in every resort I go to. In Centara every guest receives 30-minute spa treatment every day, which is included in the package. However, when the hotel is full, it can be challenging to find a slot at the spa. So make sure you book a slot for every day when you arrive. Therapists are really nice and professional. My only complaint is that there are only 6 free treatments and 6 paid. No manicures, no pedicures, no hair treatments. Just 2 facials, no branded cosmetics. There is a steam room on male and female side+a small indoor pool.

Beach and Activities.

Snorkeling is great and coral reefs are easily accessible. You can rent all of the equipment for duration of your stay for free. There are also some water sports and tours included in the package, but we haven't done any yet. Beach is big, not crowded. Sun beds are not soft, do not have any mattresses, not comfortable. There is no beach staff to bring drinks or help you with umbrellas and sun beds. You have to go the bar yourself, if you are not a member of an island club.

To sum up I would say that it is a 4 star resort if you are not a member of an island club. Service could be way better, compared to the resorts I have visited before. If it does not improve before we leave, it is unlikely that we will come back, there are places with much better service and attitude out there.
There is something going on every day, such as yoga and aerobics in the morning and dance competitions and live music.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
10 Thank AnnaFrolova
West London
Reviewed 28 December 2013

We stayed here in March/April 2013 for 10 days but extended it to 14 days as it was highly enjoyable. I would also add to fly direct if possible or with Emirates if a stop is required, never fly with Qatar.

Now on to the resort the staff are 1st rate and catered to our requests including lending my girlfriend trainers for the Zumba and Palates classes.

Ibrahim Shaan the dive instructor is the best I've encountered in 13 years of diving and he recently organized an underwater wedding for a UK couple see link below.

The house reef was amazing and ever you needed to cool off or felt bored then snorkeling off the dive shop jetty was an experience like no other, the amount and variety of fish are incredible. I have dived for 13 years around the world but nothing comes close to Centara's House Reef and Boat Wreck. I was lucky enough to go night diving at 90 ft with just my torch and GoPro along with Ibriham, an experience of a life time, truly wonderful.

The restaurants were fantastic with our favorite being the Italian restaurant Azzuri located on the jetty overlooking the reef sharks, however like all the restaurants you need to book on location in advance to avoid disappointment. We tried the Lotus which was good and the Reef restaurant whilst great was full of families as this is where everyone eats their 1st night on arrival. Reminder reservations need to be made at least a day in advance

Our other alternate favorite was the exclusive Island Club where 4 course meals were prepared and served by the wonderful friendly staff for a more intimate high end experience. You need to pay for Island Club membership which gives you only the best alcohol, breakfasts, lunches and dinners as well as an exclusive swimming pool and sun bathing area away from any loud noisy families, children. A 5 star service with morning cocktails, with sorbet service and morning tea & after tea chilled flannels.

The daily spa treatments at the SPA Cenvaree were wonderful and you can select from one of the many treatments available or repeat the treatments for tired backs, legs etc. Do not be afraid to ask for firmer or softer massages as our friends found they needed softer treatments having not been to massage sessions on a regular basis back in the UK. Ari was the best masseuse

Accommodation, here is my personal choice vs. postcard images. The over water deluxe bungalows are great and look the part, however I preferred the very generous sized TWO story and Ralph Lauren styled Beach Suite which included a giant stand in bowl outdoor shower (heaven) along with a private balcony, your own hammock and 10 steps away from the beach front. Our friends who we met on the island preferred our accommodation to their over water Luxury Sunset Water Villas. My girlfriend also appreciated the huge bathroom and the Beach Suite was kept immaculate by the room boy with fresh beach towels everyday.

I would also like to take this opportunity to thank Voytec the Area Group Manager and all his Management Team, Ibriham the Dive Guide and Christine along with the team at the Island Club.
We also had a great time experiencing for the 1st time Zumba with Elmer Munar who was fantastic and very high energy.

Room Tip: My choice would be to take the Island Villas and with money saved buy Island Club membership for the...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
#1 of 1 in Huvahandhoo Island
Conrad Maldives Rangali Island
Conrad Maldives Rangali Island
#1 of 1 in Rangali Island

Been to Centara Grand Island Resort & Spa Maldives? Share your experiences!