“Thank You”

Centara Grand Island Resort & Spa Maldives
Hong Kong, China
“Thank You”
Reviewed 25 March 2014

I have very bad experience for the Seaplane arrangement on arrival at 05:00am and I have extended the such to FOM-Sati, he is very nice and professional. He tried his best and made room ready for me at 08:00am. He looked after me and made my stay from bad mood to enjoyable.
Besides, RM-Krist also extend his good hospitality to me and my friends. Seaplane was delayed on departure. He offered us a drinks in anticipate on the departure.
Furthermore, rooms are clean and in good condition, Staffs are friendly and greeted us when we met on the path every times. Reflected how good manage in Staffs training & Property Maintenance from Krist & Sati.
Thanks Krist & Sati. Wonderful Holiday.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (317)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 24 March 2014

I stayed here in early March 2014 for 5 nights for my honeymoon. Arriving on that seaplane is just the most spectacular thing ever! The colour of the water and just the whole experience was awesome!

I had organised to upgrade to Island Club before we arrived however when we got there our reservation was messed up and we had to wait for the staff to sort out what had happened. They were all really nice about it but we didnt get to check in at the Island Club which I was looking forward to. Having said that, in my opinion the Island Club was worth it! We spent almost all of our time here or snorkeling! The food was excellent and the staff in the Island Club are exceptional.

We stayed in a Deluxe Overwater Villa, number 97 and I was a little underwhelmed. The view is wonderful and the room is big but it felt run down and I expected it to be more polished for the money we paid. The mini bar is also not the best. It has a few beers, soft drink and thats about it. I would have liked some wine at least. And our mini bar was ungraded to premium with the Island Club so I can only imagine how poor the standard was.

We ate at all the restaurants at least once. The Italian was good and the Reef was pretty good for a buffet. The Japanese Grill was pretty good too. We ate dinner at the Island Club each night and the food was always excellent.

I used our free spa treatments while there and the spa was excellent. I upgraded my treatment on the last day and it was a nice last day treat!

We saw whale sharks on the snorkeling tour and the sunset cruise was nice too. It was awesome to have the reef surrounding the island as we spent most of our time snorkeling around the island. We saw quite a few sharks (mostly small) and loads of fish. Was like swimming in an aquarium every day!

Leaving the island was the down side for us as we were booked on a 2:30pm seaplane but our flight out of Mali wasnt until 2245. We had to sit at Mali airport for 7 hours while we waited for our flight to open for check in. There is nothing at Mali airport!!

One thing that I really hated was the spa booking system. The first thing you have to do is go to the spa and book your treatments or you will not get them. They are literally booked out for days in advance. I would suggest a better solution might be to give everyone a free treatment when they arrive and then operate like any other resort spa. This way there would be more flexibility and more services could be offered.

All in all a good resort and an amazing honeymoon. I truely didnt want to go home!

1 Thank samwk
Machchafushi, General Manager at Centara Grand Island Resort & Spa Maldives, responded to this review, 3 May 2014
Dear Guests
Thank you for your feedback which posted on Trip Advisor review and the positive feedback about the island club and the resort. Apologies that the deluxe overwater villa was not as you expected, your feedback will certainly be taken into consideration when future refurbishment will be planned. We understand your comment about the mini bar but please understand that we have all the bars open from 10.00 till midnight with a grand selection, which means that our room mini bars are not prioritised.

I sincerely hope you will extend us with another opportunity as it would be my pleasure to personally welcome you back and ensure you will experience the true Centara standards on your next visit.

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 24 March 2014

Our first trip to the Maldives for our honeymoon and wedding anniversary, reminded the hotel upon arrival although I have informed them thru email a while back, over the phone the staff requested that I produce our wedding cert (why would I bring such a document with me on a holiday??!) so i went to the reception personally and found a bottle of sparkling wine and some apples & oranges in the room on the second day. Wasn't impresive at all. Rooms: We stayed in deluxe water villa 88, although I thought rooms 89, 90 & 91 would have been better. 89 & 90 is the last 2 villas at the end, 91 is facing the open sea more privacy and appears to be newer/had some work done more recently, our friends was staying in 91. The accommodations are in dire need of a makeover, the age is showing very obviously. Honestly, I was quite disappointed with the room upon walking in for the first time as everything looks so worn out and old. But after a while the sea & surroundings outside the villa kinda made up for it. Excursions: Highlight was the whale shark trip. Book early as it is very popular. We got pretty close, the moment the crews spotted the whale, we were asked to jump into the water immediately. Hesitate and you might just miss it, happened to a handful of people on our boat. Sunset cruise was nice although we didn’t see much sunset as it was cloudy, served with wine. Sunset fishing was also quite enjoyable; almost everyone on board caught something. I won’t recommend the local island tour, pretty waste of time to me. Snorkeling trip was just ok, managed to see much more just snorkeling around the resort. Food: Breakfast at the Reef was ok, lunch and dinner wasn’t so good. You can opt for teppanyaki lunch/dinner at The Reef, worth trying. Open for booking for the same day lunch/dinner. Only 10 spots available. I didn’t like it that if you’re having teppanyaki, you can’t even have some fruits from the buffet line. Thai fare at Lotus was good as well, there’s an almost different menu for lunch & dinner every day. I said almost because we were served the same soup for lunch and dinner on the same day. Didn’t really matter as it was nice. Italian restaurant Azzuri Mare only offers one fixed menu, but almost everything we had was good. We managed to dine there 3 times. Spa: The supposedly 30 mins inclusive daily massage is actually only 15 mins to be fair. But each time was very satisfying. Just wished they would’ve really been 30 mins as stated. Glad we booked our slots through email before arrival as it was pretty full. Staffs: Seriously only a handful of them came across as friendly and welcoming. The one that told me I can’t have anything from the buffet line because I was having teppanyaki didn’t deliver the message politely. He wasn’t entirely rude, but I felt it could have been in a much nicer approach. Watersports: Only available from 10am-12pm and 2pm-4pm. We didn’t get to do much of that. Wished we stayed more than just 5 days. Don’t think we’ll stay in this resort again. Will want to try other resorts but will definitely visit Maldives again!

Room Tip: We stayed in deluxe water villa 88, although I thought rooms 89, 90 & 91 would have been better...
1 Thank WeilsC
Scotland
Reviewed 23 March 2014

Stayed here for 10 nights in March for our honeymoon spending 5 nights in a water villa and 5 nights in a beachside pool villa. We upgraded to Island Club when we arrived.

The resort (when we were there) was around 90% Asian. This was not a problem for us but there were not many other English speaking guests/kids if you are travelling with family.

The water villa was lovely, being able to go straight into the sea to snorkel was excellent. Every night the boy looking after our room came to ask whether we wanted our towels replaced. Our villa was fairly private. Others weren't so worth asking when you check in.

The beachside villa was gorgeous, ideal for families given the small 'dipping' pool and the 'protected' beach area. There was a turn down service every night. The second bedroom is downstairs so ideal if you have kids.

Yes, both rooms could have done with a tiny bit of sprucing up but this resort is open to the elements so this is to be expected.

The mini bars were restocked every day. The management need to review the contents - only 4 beers and a handful of juices were provided (no good for us as I don't drink beer!). One or two small wines being included would have been good, especially as we like to sit outside before dinner with a wine. Sounds ridiculous but this was the reason I can't rate the experience 5*.

We found wifi to be available throughout the resort without issue.

The spa was wonderful and we used our free daily treatment every day. We booked as soon as we arrived, suggest others do so as it certainly got busy. You are always asked whether the treatment pressure is too hard/soft, so speak up rather than go through pain!

There is one buffet style restaurant plus an Italian and a Thai restaurant. The food was superb, even in the main buffet restaurant. Service was possibly a bit slower in the main restaurant than you'd want but other than that, I can't fault it.

Upgrading to Island Club topped off the holiday. The food and service here was 5*. There are more 'branded' alcoholic drinks on the menu and a better selection of wines and having access to the 'private' pool area was bliss. For our first 7 nights there was only ourselves and one other couple using it. We noticed when we were leaving that the Island Club dining options were being opened to other guests for a per person cost. Might have been because it was fairly quiet. Another plus point of Island Club is they can book the restaurants etc., for you meaning you don't have to queue.

The daily trips were good but very busy. Again, book in advance.

There are two small shops on the Island selling souvenirs etc. There is also a small gym.

The reef around the island was fantastic. We saw lots of fish, manta, sharks etc. The island itself is tiny.

Would we return? Definitely, assuming we could afford Island Club again, that definitely made the holiday!

PS. Be aware of your return trip (albeit this isn't the hotels fault). We were booked on the first seaplane out of the resort, this was late leaving and made two pick ups en route to Male. This meant we were late getting to Male airport and the service at the airport (Sri Lankan Airlines) was abysmal. We made our flight with literally minutes to go. Worth double checking all times etc. It's worth noting on the way out, our flight from Male was also delayed for two hours whilst we waited on another international flight landing. Reading other reviews, it seems this is pretty common

3 Thank JillyLou123
Tianjin, China
Reviewed 14 March 2014

We have just spent a wonderful holidays in Centara Grand Island in Maldives, the room is clean and comfortable, all people on the island are friendship especially the kids club, my little son really like the teachers there, he misses them very much when we back to home. REEF/Lotus/Azzuri restaurant could provide us quite delicious foods, we really enjoy the "Japanese Grill". Centara's all-in quotation/service is quite good and convenience to us, all spending is involved, which included banana boat/SPA/everyday's activities on the island. Maldives is very very beautiful, we sure we will come to Maldives again.

Room Tip: I really enjoy my stay in family water villa. Sand suits is also very good.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Ruoyan C
Machchafushi, General Manager at Centara Grand Island Resort & Spa Maldives, responded to this review, 20 March 2014
Dear Ruoyan C

First of all, allow me to thank you for taking your time to post your positive comments on TripAdvisor World.

I am so glad to hear that you had a memorable stay at Centara Grand and you enjoyed the wide array of food and beverage, our activities and all other facilities including Kids Club.

Once again thank you for your comments and I look forward to your return visit.

With best wishes
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 13 March 2014

Arriving in Centara Grand in the Maldives, either by boat or seaplane, is like stepping on to a little piece of heaven. From the moment you arrive you are made to feel special, part honoured guest, part family friend.

We have stayed in both beach and sea villas and each has one thing to offer. The beach villa has sand and shade from trees, the sea villa is totally luxurious and sits on the reef so you can swim or snorkel from you own front door.

The house reef is excellent with a myriad of tropical fish and the occasional turtle. We were lucky enough on both our visits to see and swim with the vast and incredible Whale Shark.

The restaurants serve a variety of cuisines. Each is excellent and the food is always fresh and interesting. The bars, which appear to float over the water are an excellent spot to sip a cocktail and watch the activities of the Manta Rays and Pipe Fish.

There is a wonderful spa, diving and water sports centres and a cool and airy library.

Sadly we are leaving Centara today. We will miss the delightful and courteous staff. We will dream about the delights of Centara in the months ahead. This is our second visit. If we are lucky we will return to Centara for the third visit next year.

Room Tip: Rooms facing west enjoy wonderful sunsets
4 Thank Hilary O
Dear Hilary, greetings from Haven!

Wow - such a great feedback!

Thank you for posting your review of your return stay with us, as your satisfaction is our greatest reward. We love being part of your fondest memories and are so pleased you will be returning.

It makes us very happy that our staff provided you with such prompt service. Your feedback about restaurants, bars, accommodation, spa and sport facilities is very much appreciated. Thank you for acknowledging their service.

It is so nice to hear about your unforgettable experience with the Whale Shark!

Once again thank you for taking the time to let us know about your experience and we welcome you back in the future.

UK
Reviewed 2 March 2014

We have been to Centara Grand Island Resort and Spa twice since 2010 and about to book our 3rd trip. It is the only place we have ever reurned to as we are of the view that there is large world to discover but Centara is a true exception. We are lucky enough to travel extensively with our 2 children, now 13 and 8 (Banyan tree, Four Seasons, One and Only) and can safely say that this resort is an ideal location for families with children (or without) looking for ultimate paradise, switch-off relaxation with incredible genuine warmth from the staff.

It is a small-medium sized resort for the Maldives so not too intmate but not too vast. We have stayed in both the water villas on stilts and the beach front 2 bed pool villa. Each have their merits dependeing what you are looking for and if possible I would advise to try and book both for a longer stay. With the water villas, you can snorkel from the back of the villas - we stayed here when the children were younger - there is slightly less privacy for parents from the children with a partition sepearating adult and kids sleeping spaces in a large room - would say this is perfect for familes with smaller kids who don't want to be too far from parents. 2 bed beach front pool villas give the ultiate beach experience - they are set right on the beach with stunning views, a large private pool we used daily and a 2 storey large villa, with a twin beds bedroom, bathroom and living room on ground and main bedroom and wc on first fl.oor

There are 4 outstanding restaurants, the quality of food is incredible, especially the Thai restaurant, And of course the all-inclusive package, which admittedly we were apprehnsive about before our first visit makes life incredibly easy when normally you would be mentally working out high meal prices for your family in like-for-like resorts.

Activities are great too, especially for those like my husband who like to also do as well as lie in the sun - we have enjoyed the water sports, snorkelling, fishing trips and there are also plenty of activties for kids, crab racing etc. The kids club is fantastic with outstanding staff. The gym is set in water with a stunning view of the ocean.

The resort is stunning, the main pool, gym, bar areas all never too crowded or lacking in atmosphere. We enjoyed the Island club on our second visit which gives the added beneft of the island club facilities - the actual island club where you can dine also (with exquisite 5 course meals - but must book) and a separate pool which is far quieter with far fewer kids if you prefer something quieter.

The real strength of the resort is the staff. Every person from the moment they greet you, the bar and restaurant staff, kids club staff, general manager chefs (who will all make time to talk to you) are genuinely warm, welcoming and want to ensure you have the ultimate luxury island experience. The service is genuinely the best service we have received from any 5-star hotel we have stayed in.

It really is paradise here. We can't wait for our next trip later this year...

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
#1 of 1 in Rangali Island
Lily Beach Resort & Spa
Lily Beach Resort & Spa
#1 of 1 in Huvahandhoo Island

Been to Centara Grand Island Resort & Spa Maldives? Share your experiences!