This was my 3rd time to Maldives and 2nd time to Centara. 2 years ago I was a very happy guest so I decided to stay here again with my families. Unfortunately I noticed the standard has dropped a lot this time and I’m very disappointed.
I arrived on the same flight as last time at 11:35am in Male. Last time by the time we reached Centara we still managed to catch the lunch buffet before 2:30pm.
However this time, we waited in the hot terminal for 3 hours for seaplane departure. The flight was initially scheduled at 1:40pm but we didn’t leave until 3:10pm. There was an earlier flight to Centara around 12:40pm but we were not booked on that, despite I told them I have elderly travelling with me (85-year old grandparents).
After seaplane landed in the middle of the sea we were on a floating platform, again we waited 30 minutes under the unmercy tropical afternoon sun for the boat to come and pick us up.
By the time we finally checked in our villas, we waited eagerly for our luggage to come so that we can get changed and start our holiday. After waiting for another 40 minutes, I decided to go take the luggage back myself from the Jetty which was only 5 minutes away from our villa! God knows why it took them forever. And there I saw our luggages were still sitting on the Jetty! In the end, the staff finally send our luggage to us after I complained.
We stayed in 3 deluxe water villa.
1.the aircon was not working in one Villa and the door to balcony can’t open in another villa
2. Whats worst was that there were cockroaches in my villa and crawled on me when I sleep and there were dead cockroach on the floor.
I am not sure if they are short of staff but the service I received was definitely not up to the standard I expected from a 4 star resort. Just to share some examples
1. I called reception about the balcony door. 4 hours later, no one came and I had to call again. It took the handyman almost an hour trying to fix the lock and at last he had to change a new lock.
2. The minibar was not refilled in one day. I called reception and they insisted they have refilled. In the end they said they will send someone to refill and of course, they never came on that day.
3. The service in Reef restaurant was poor. Sometimes even after I finished my 2nd plate, the first empty plate was still on the table and no one came to clear. I had to repeatly call the waiters and requested them to clear the used plated and refill water. The thing was that, there were not even many guests in the restaurant and the waiters were not that busy.
4. The massage itself was very good but the so-call 30 minutes massage was really just 20 minutes (max 23 minutes) for each of us every time.
From other guests comments below about their excellent service and from my observation, there were clearly some double standard of service for western guests and Asian guests from a major country who couldn’t speak much English, probably they think those guests wouldn’t be able to complain to the management or write a review on tripadvisor!
Last time Centara had one of the best house reef in Maldives. Now many coral has died but you can still see plenty of fishes and reef sharks. Sadly I still saw some guest who just stand on the coral and unaware what kind of damage they did to it.. really hope everyone who go to Maldives will do the necessary to protect these beautiful places.
We did the whale shark trip. It’s 4 hours return trip on boat and you only have 50/50 chance. We didn’t see the whale shark but we did see a couple of dolphins. If they couldn’t find the shark, they would still stop at a lagoon for you to jump into the water and do some snorkeling. So I guess that means you don’t have to go to snorkeling cruise trip.
Sunset fishing was fun. 10-15 minutes boat ride to a nearby reef and stop there for an hour for you to fish. Our boat (around 17 ppl) managed to catch 13 reef fishes in total.
I also chartered a boat for big game fishing (around USD900 for 4 hours) and bad luck for me, we didn’t catch anything.
Overall with the all-inclusive package this hotel is value for money but the service you would get is unpredictable. I guess I held my expectation too high from my previous experience in Centara.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Surrounded by a stunning house reef that is a kaleidoscope of colour for snorkellers, and distinctive with its timbered walkways and colonial-style buildings, the five-star Centara Grand Island Resort & Spa Maldives is a barefoot paradise. With the Ultimate All-Inclusive concept, your stay is absolutely carefree meaning that all meals, spa treatments, activities and water sports, daily excursions, and even diving are all included. Weatherboard villas, thatched-roof buildings, a white-sand beach and sparkling lagoon are the setting for your honeymoon or fun-filled family holiday. Villas and beach suites are generously-sized (86-159 square metres); the over-water villas enjoy their own sundeck with steps down to the multihued coral reefs. Special villas for families have bunk beds in a children’s area, and you can also enjoy the option of an overwater villa with plunge pool. When it comes to dining, all your meals – and more – are included. Sumptuous champagne breakfasts are available at Reef Restaurant, lunches and dinners are to be enjoyed at the Azurri Mare Italian Restaurant, the Suan Bua Thai restaurant or Reef Restaurant. There are two bars on the island. Voted as Maldives’ most family-friendly resort two years in succession, the island has the ideal family itinerary: activities at the age-specific kids’ clubs, water activities like banana boat and tube rides, water sports, and pool games by thea children’s pool. Anyone in need of some deep relaxation can enjoy the daily spa treatments at Spa Cenvaree, yoga sessions, or simply laze beachside. Beside water sports and one of the best PADI dive centres in the Maldives, the resort’s house reef and lagoon provide fascination for snorkellers, and just off the reef there is a dedicated shipwreck that offers easy diving and a close-up view of turtles and whale sharks, manta rays, and surgeonfish. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Ebookers, Hotels.com, Destinology, Odigeo, Travelbag, Agoda, Southall Travel, Holiday Gems, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U. and HotelQuickly so you can book your Centara Grand Island Resort & Spa Maldives reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Centara Grand Island Resort And Spa
- Centara Grand Island Hotel Centara Grand Island
- Centara Grand Island Resort & Spa Maldives