“Only called in for a drink.”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of The Crab & Lobster

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Sidlesham
The Crab & Lobster
Ranked #1 of 3 Sidlesham B&B and Inns
Grimsby, United Kingdom
“Only called in for a drink.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

We called here last week while out walking. Thought we would check out the place to have an evening meal later on in the week.
We only bought 2 pints of beer and we were charged £3.85 a pint, which in my opinion is a bit over the top compared with other similar places in the area. Although the beer was ok, it was nothing special.
The place was fairly busy and the staff were very pleasant.
Because of the high prices of drinks, we decided to eat elsewhere .

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2014

We stumbled across the Crab & Lobster whilst looking for somewhere for a light lunch on Sunday. As others have said, this is a restaurant, not a pub and as such wasn't what we were looking for (we were eating properly that evening) but we were so taken by the appearance of the place we decided to stay anyway.

The staff were friendly enough, but it didn't feel genuinely friendly. Not a warm welcome I guess you'd say, more perfunctory. Indeed when we declined the wine list, I felt a hint of disapproval from the waiter. On any other occasion, (and on this one too!) I'd have killed for a glass of wine in the beautiful garden but as I'm pregnant (but not yet showing), it's not a good idea! We were shown to a table in the garden. Two were empty, one had an umbrella, one didn't. My husband expressed his preference for shade. The waiter said that the one with the umbrella was reserved so we sat in the sun. Both sat four people, I'm not sure how much trouble it would have taken to move the reserved sign to the other table and I'm fairly certain the people that later sat at that table hadn't requested its specifically as the first thing they asked was for the parasol to be removed!

Food wise, it was ok. I had a dressed crab salad. I assumed a plain dressed crab as the menu didn't mention anything but the crab had clearly been mixed in a sauce which hid the flavour of the crab which was a shame. Hubby had the fish of the day which he really enjoyed. My potatoes weren't fully cooked but not bad enough to complain about.

It was good quality food, hence why I can't rate it average, but it wasn't as well prepared as you'd expect so I can't go to very good either.

But the icing on the cake? £2.10 for a glass of soda water with a dash of lime cordial. Had I have been around when hubby was settling the bill I would certainly have raised that with the staff but unfortunately I didn't see the bill until after we'd left. That definitely left a sour taste.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank TravellinggirlUK
Southampton
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2014

My parents stayed last week for 4 nights to celebrate my fathers 82nd birthday and thoroughly enjoyed their stay. My parents have travelled the world and my dad was in the food business all his life so they know when something is a little bit special and appreciate those little extra touches. We joined them for dinner one evening so we can see why they had such a good week. Thank you to Sam (?) and his team for making his birthday stay so special.

Room Tip: Room One is dual aspect so it gets the morning and evening sun.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Fidget50
Worthing, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2014

Although we have had lunch at this Pagham Harbour Inn with rooms before this time we decided to have dinner & stay overnight [my wife's Birthday]. We were not disappointed. There are only 4 rooms & we had one of the deluxe rooms ... room 4 [in the roof], if you are over 6ft you may wish to think about this ... I am 6ft & it was OK albeit walking along the walls meant walking at a slight list ! ....... the room is beautifully decorated [very F&B !] with an excellent walk in shower & so much power, white fluffy towels, tea & coffee making facilities & FRESH milk. Dinner was one of the best meals we have had out [& we eat out a lot]...... good choice with an emphasis on fish [meateaters & vegetarians are also well catered for] ........ for pudding try the rice pudding [if you have room] English breakfast was superb with fresh tasty ingredients & plenty of it ..... we did not have lunch later in the day !!!. We will certainly come here again for dinner & overnight at some time ... even if the inn is only 30 minutes from where we live. I should add this is a great place to be based for walking & for shopping [Chichester]

Room Tip: All 4 rooms are well appointed [we looked in all of them]. If you go on the Mr & Mrs Smith site...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank lmiddleditch
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2014

I went there for dinner with a friend and the food and atmosphere were lovely. Lots of choice, fish was excellent. Great to go with friends or to go on a date. More of a restaurant than a pub. Quite smart. Would definitely recommend for a special dinner.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Lisa L
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2014

We celebrated a birthday here with friends and both the food and service were superb. Fairly informal in nature, the food is both imaginative and top quality. Very welcoming and an excellent wine list too - try the local Tinwood sparkler. We had been before and will certainly be going again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank DavidPearc
Haywards Heath, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2014

We stayed in room 1 and had a lovely view of the fields and a spacious room. There were fresh roses in the room which was a nice touch. We went for a walk around the RSPB reserve accessible just outside the pub. We had a nice dinner. Service was a bit off for the quality of the food but it was nice. Breakfast was lovely.

Room Tip: Choose room 1 it is a lovely spacious room.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sidlesham
Millstream Hotel & Restaurant
#1 of 76 in Chichester
The Fox Goes Free
The Fox Goes Free
#3 of 76 in Chichester

Been to The Crab & Lobster? Share your experiences!