“Super food and hospitality”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Le Sud - CLOSED

Le Sud
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol
Stoney Stanton, United Kingdom
“Super food and hospitality”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2013

My second time in the bar Le Sud and it was amazing , they were very busy and I mean busy but were only to happy to find me a table and the food was super , I must praise the chef I think I heard his name was Chris the t bone I had was fault less and the charming lady front of house I now know to be his wife was also very helpful with some guidance on some questions I asked her completely nothing to so with their business , thanks and I will be back as soon as my little hire car can bring me .

St Laurent des Combes
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great sunday lunch!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2013

We are a family of four including 2 young boys and decided to treat ourselves to a roast dinner at Le Sud.......we were not disappointed! On entering the bar there was a warm welcome and a choice of the usual French beverages along with some real ale and cider. The menus on offer were 16,50 & 23,50. Both looked good and we decided on the 16,50. For the boys they offered a small roast dinner which was perfect. We were all served a soup starter which was absolutely delicious and we followed this with chicken skewer with a satay sauce. Our roast beef mains arrived with giant yorkshire puddings, roasties, veg and a choice of horseradish or mustard! We could not any of the food or service and even managed to find room for one of the best cafe gourmands I've ever eaten!!! The childrens meals including soup starter and desserts came to a very reasonable 6 euros each and all told including aperos, carafe of wine and coffees the whole bill was less than 60 euros. Needless to say, this will not be our last visit!

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank Bedders16
Maidstone, Kent
“Don't bother”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 December 2012

Been here a couple of times and whilst the food is passable, the staff- especially the owners are well below par. The last time we went there we were with a large party of friends off season (some locals). The merriment commenced, drinks, laughter, etc until BANG! one of the chairs collapsed under one of our friends. Thinking it may be his weight we let it go although after the third time of this happening and someone nearly hitting their head against the wall we decided enough was enough to be told that there was nothing they could do about it. The problem we were told that they were cheap chairs and these things happened! After getting slightly more agitated about this the owner came out and said it was the way it was - no apology, no offers of complimentary drinks - nothing. We all felt that if they had at least offered a carafe of wine or something it would have been ok as these things happen. All of us either live there or are holiday home owners. Never again...........

• Visited June 2012
2 Thank psh9
france
“Great food and we all enjoyed it!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 October 2012

We all arrived (table of 9,1 veggie) Firstly the welcome was excellent.

I must say the choice was great and we took ages deciding! Our order was taken and changed a bit but all taken in good spirit by Beryl (owner)

All courses arrived together, not one of the party were left waiting as often happens. All courses were of excellent standard and really well presented and delicious.

All in all a good night out and great food.

Pam

• Visited October 2012
Manchester, UK
“Home-cooked meal”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2012

Following the excellent reviews from other patrons, we made a special detour to visit Le Sud for lunch. Yes, we were served in English (which felt odd) and the food was nice, but certainly not outstanding.
First course was a crepe filled with cheese sauce and hint of mushroom with green salad on the side. One main course was sausages, mustard sauce and skinny chips. The other main was: chicken skewers, sweet chilli sauce and skinny fries.
There was a cheese course, nice, but not outstanding, and we skipped dessert, so cannot comment on those.
Perhaps the experience is very different if you dine in the evening...
What I would say though: if you fancy a simple home-cooked meal at a very good price, it would be perfect. I guess we were merely expecting more from a 5-star rated restaurant in France.

Arc03, Owner at Le Sud, responded to this review, 16 September 2012
First of all thank you very much to take the time to write a review about your meal. As you have seen, our lunch time trade is mainly with local tradesman and various reps from local company with a limited time to eat at lunch and a budget. we proud ourselves in giving homemade cooked meal at good value for money but indeed as you have pointed out, our rating are more to do with our evening meals because it is completly different than our lunch time. all our evening menus are available on our website if you wish to have a look. We hope that you will give us a try in the evening and perhaps give us the thumb up for all of it.
Best regards