“Great meal and great value”
Review of Le Sud - CLOSED

Le Sud
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 28 August 2013

Had a fantastic meal with our friends, superb value and excellent food and service. Very welcoming and great atmosphere. Highly recommended and will visit again when back in the region.

Reviewed 16 August 2013

I visited Le Sud on Tuesday 13th August with my family (6 people). We booked a table for 8.30pm & met friends for aperitifs at 7pm.
The owners are very welcoming and nothing was too much trouble. I asked if they could serve an off menu option for one of my sons and they were more than happy as they had what I wanted in the kitchen. Between the family we had the entrecote steak for two (delicious), duck, lemon sole and veal. We all thoroughly enjoyed our meals and would have no hesitation in recommending this restaurant.
It is a well worth a visit should you be in the Charente.

Reviewed 11 July 2013

A four course lunch with wine for undo 13 euros is pretty hard to beat, which is why we ate there four times! Some meals were better than others, but all were very acceptable and some were downright delicious. Good food, pleasant surroundings, friendly service, bargain prices -what more could you ask for?

Reviewed 28 June 2013

Stopped by for a drink with several friends after reaching bonne by bikes. Were refused a drink at 2 in the afternoon by the waitress citing the restaurant being closed despite there being others still eating and being served drinks and the staff sitting round with drinks. Felt we didn't fit her view of the appropriate customers for this establishment, which for rural France is a little disappointing. When asked if there was somewhere else nearby that was open she stated there wasn't. This was a lie as we found a bar not further that 400m away which didn't come with British prejudice for 6 men seeking une pression. All in all an unpleasant experience in a lovely part of France where I've been coming for over 20 years

3  Thank Winter1983
Arc03, Owner at Le Sud, responded to this reviewResponded 29 June 2013

First of all I am sorry that you did not enjoy your experience with us .however I would like to explain a couple of things if I may. It was more towards 2.30-2.45 when you came in and indeed we were having a drink with friends that had just turn up. That is why we were closed we, like other trades must have a cut off point ,the unfortunate thing about us here, is when family and friends come around for a coffee or a drink and it is nice weather we cannot go anywhere else but on the terrasse but that does not mean we are open 24/7. Second as for the "lie"about another bar I know the restaurant that you are refering to and they do not have a license to retail drinks and therefore are not a bar and are doing so illegally.
And last and not least your comment about being prejudiced about British people, my customer base is about 80% British, I lived in the UK 20 years and my wife is British so I do strongly object to your remark regarding this matter. Regardless of race, gender, religion etc...when we are closed we are closed.

Reviewed 22 May 2013 via mobile

I'm back no hire car this time but straight to the bar Le Sud , T-bone de veau grillee was on the menu heaven , just as good as before and only €15 and the chef Chris found time to come to the front of house and he rembered me which made you feel special if you get me valued that sort of thing .
A absolute gem in the middle of the country side .
Can't wait till I can get back later in the year .
10/10 again .