“Very much a hit or a miss!”

Station Hotel Avoch Restaurant
Ranked #2 of 4 Restaurants in Avoch
Price range: US$11 - US$33
Cuisines: Seafood, Scottish, British
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 9 May 2014

I've reviewed this restaurant in the past, - last time it was good, but last night was a total disappointment! I usually opt for the Haddock, which is always very fresh and well cooked, but last night I had the Highland Chicken which came with a pepper sauce which was so hot it was virtually impossible to taste anything else. The chicken had obviously been over-cooked in a microwave as it was like leather, and the accompanying black pudding slice was so hard it was inedible.

I knew there was a problem as soon as I put my knife into the chicken and had great difficulty cutting it, and really should have returned it to the kitchen. However I struggled through about half of it. I told the waitress of the problem and she just said 'sorry!'. I thought a reduction would be made at the 'check-out' - (you pay at the shop counter on the way out), but this didn't happen. This particular dish was also overpriced at £14:95 and the accompanying side dish of vegetables was poor.

All in all an expensive meal which was simply not worth the money! Won't be going back for a long time!!

1  Thank Highland2
There are newer reviews for Station Hotel Avoch Restaurant

Reviewed 20 April 2014

oh my god never seen anything like it in my life!! was a beautiful day easter sunday myself and hubby were out a drive and thought we would try out the station as everyone says its "lovely" never been so disappointed walked in and got seated by a young lad he took our drink order and when he came back with them they were warm nice warm cola :) YUK!! so my hubby ordered a beer people were coming and going and it was a good 20-25 min wait before he had to ask where his drink was pffft they had forgotten! anyway his burger arrived so I myself went up for the carvery joined a lovely long cue off people was waiting a good 20 mins by the time I got my food my hubby was finished his, the beef was tuff as old boots and the gammon was like eating a bottle of salt yuk, couldn't get my knife through the potatos and the Yorkshire pudding was like a scone, the gravy was like eating fat form the beef runny as hellwhen we went to pay the bill a lovely young gent from the shop side delt with us the only decent bit of staff in the place with manners! the waitresses and waiter need to learn abit more customer service very shocking never seen anything like it in my life we shall NOT be back!!!!

5  Thank lucymorrison84
Becky B, Manager at Station Hotel Avoch Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 25 April 2014

Hello.
Firstly we would like to apologise that you had such a bad experience at the Station Hotel. Out of the 440+ customers that we served on Easter Sunday you were the only ones that has this experience. Our aim is to provide hearty meals with friendly customer service which 438+ of our customers enjoyed on Easter Sunday. Obviously you had not booked but we very kindly squeezed you in giving you just under the hour to eat before your table was occupied, so not sure how you waited 25 minutes for you pint of shandy and 20 minutes in a queue for the carvery. You must have been very quick eaters !!!!
I am pleased that you found the shop keeper very friendly as all of my other 9 members staff working were unable to provide this. I think you forgot to say they only reason you found the shop keep friendly was because he gave 50% off you bill even though you were the only customers out of the other 440+ to have such a bad meal.

Reviewed 15 April 2014

Had heard good reviews about this place from a couple of friends and had decided to try it out on a whim.

Greeted at the door with a large smile and was seated instanstly by staff as if we were old friends despite this being our first visit.

The portions sizes were enough to make me and my two friends shudder in fear with the enormity.

The only downside were that the gents toilet was a bit hard to find, but other than that a top notch meal!

Reviewed 7 April 2014 via mobile

Where do i start?! Walking into a shop thought it was a hotel? staff ignored us and i had to go and find someone to seat us and take our order and it wasnt even busy staff need a course in service and communication with customers the food served is far to much on the plate and very slap dash! Very salty and everything has an unnessesary scataring of herbs thrown on top id love to see how much food is wasted as i never seen any empty plates do not understand the layout it makes no sense whatsoever! Also doesnt say much when staff serving your food are backstabbing the boss!

2  Thank Mrsjack85
Reviewed 6 April 2014

Just returned home from one of the worst meals in a long time at Station hotlel in Avoch. A very noisy bar with more than colourful language didn't help the bad food.A untrimmed fillet steak re heated lasagna and soggy chips.
The staff were okay but could really do with a lesson or two in customer service.