“Nice meal”

Ranked #2 of 4 Restaurants in Avoch
Price range: US$11 - US$33
Cuisines: British, Scottish, Seafood
Good for: Child-friendly, Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
“Nice meal”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2014 via mobile

Stopped at the station hotel with friends for lunch.
Found the restaurant clean and tidy. Staff efficient and friendly.
The menu was good and had a good variety of different dishes. Well priced.
The meals were very good and served hot.
Not too long to wait between courses.
It was a very enjoyable meal.
The only criticism/suggestion I would have is the use of thin chips. I would prefer home made thick chips but that is only my opinion.
Overall a very pleasant visit.

1 Thank Eddie C

London, United Kingdom
“lovely food - shopping too!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2014

whilst visiting friends nearby = on a Monday night not many places open for food, but was told about this pub which had a delicatessen in the middle of it!! bizarre yes, brilliant idea especially if you ran out of something - it doesn't close until the pub closes!.
the Restaurant in the conservatory has a very wide menu choice, almost too much to narrow it down. generous portions - so glad I opted for a main only, would have struggled with a starter and a main. very tasty - local beers served as well, and wines reasonably priced too. a very good dining experience. Whilst there take a dip into the deli - a wide range of cheeses and meats - much more than a supermarket. wonderful gem

• Visited March 2014
Essex
“Difficult to find fault”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2014

Our party of three ate dinner here twice last week.

Starters excellent, Broccoli and Stilton soup one of the best ever. Mains also very good. They appear to have a policy of including a huge side plate of chips with every order, even if your choice is a pasta or rice dish. Suits me as I am a big eater, but my wife and sister-in-law were a bit overwhelmed and we all left feeling totally stuffed, and still got nowhere near finishing the chips. Seems a bit of a waste. Sadly, there was then no chance of room being left for the sweet course.

• Visited May 2014
Inverness Scotish Highlands
“Very much a hit or a miss!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2014

I've reviewed this restaurant in the past, - last time it was good, but last night was a total disappointment! I usually opt for the Haddock, which is always very fresh and well cooked, but last night I had the Highland Chicken which came with a pepper sauce which was so hot it was virtually impossible to taste anything else. The chicken had obviously been over-cooked in a microwave as it was like leather, and the accompanying black pudding slice was so hard it was inedible.

I knew there was a problem as soon as I put my knife into the chicken and had great difficulty cutting it, and really should have returned it to the kitchen. However I struggled through about half of it. I told the waitress of the problem and she just said 'sorry!'. I thought a reduction would be made at the 'check-out' - (you pay at the shop counter on the way out), but this didn't happen. This particular dish was also overpriced at £14:95 and the accompanying side dish of vegetables was poor.

All in all an expensive meal which was simply not worth the money! Won't be going back for a long time!!

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank Highland2
inverness
“shocking”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2014

oh my god never seen anything like it in my life!! was a beautiful day easter sunday myself and hubby were out a drive and thought we would try out the station as everyone says its "lovely" never been so disappointed walked in and got seated by a young lad he took our drink order and when he came back with them they were warm nice warm cola :) YUK!! so my hubby ordered a beer people were coming and going and it was a good 20-25 min wait before he had to ask where his drink was pffft they had forgotten! anyway his burger arrived so I myself went up for the carvery joined a lovely long cue off people was waiting a good 20 mins by the time I got my food my hubby was finished his, the beef was tuff as old boots and the gammon was like eating a bottle of salt yuk, couldn't get my knife through the potatos and the Yorkshire pudding was like a scone, the gravy was like eating fat form the beef runny as hellwhen we went to pay the bill a lovely young gent from the shop side delt with us the only decent bit of staff in the place with manners! the waitresses and waiter need to learn abit more customer service very shocking never seen anything like it in my life we shall NOT be back!!!!

• Visited April 2014
5 Thank lucymorrison84
Becky B, Manager at Station Hotel Avoch, responded to this review, 25 April 2014
Hello.
Firstly we would like to apologise that you had such a bad experience at the Station Hotel. Out of the 440+ customers that we served on Easter Sunday you were the only ones that has this experience. Our aim is to provide hearty meals with friendly customer service which 438+ of our customers enjoyed on Easter Sunday. Obviously you had not booked but we very kindly squeezed you in giving you just under the hour to eat before your table was occupied, so not sure how you waited 25 minutes for you pint of shandy and 20 minutes in a queue for the carvery. You must have been very quick eaters !!!!
I am pleased that you found the shop keeper very friendly as all of my other 9 members staff working were unable to provide this. I think you forgot to say they only reason you found the shop keep friendly was because he gave 50% off you bill even though you were the only customers out of the other 440+ to have such a bad meal.