“5 Star Accomodation in a B&B.”

and 1 more site!
The Slate Shed B &B at Graig Wen
Ranked #1 of 1 Arthog B&B and Inns
North Wales
“5 Star Accomodation in a B&B.”
Reviewed 12 April 2009

We stayed two nights the first in the large Yurt which was a wonderful experience with everything you could need provided for your nights stay. The situation and view are amazing like every view at Graig Wen. Our second night was in the B&B which really was a wonderful experience, the bedroom and bathrooms really are perfect and when you look out of the window the view is one of the finest anywhere. The final part of the experience is the breakfast, once again like everything else just fantastic. I would recommend sleeping with the blind open so you wake up to the most increadable view.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
Hatfield Herts
Reviewed 3 April 2009

I stayed at Graig Wen B&B last October and was keen to return to see how it was looking now the building work had been finished. I was glad to see the improvements were well worth it! I was staying in a smaller room which was next to the road, however the very little traffic that there was didn't distrurb me at all - the bed was lovely and comfortable, and the addition of en suite with a huge double shower was very welcome! The breakfasts were delicious, using locally sourced foods and I also had an evening meal cooked for me there one evening which was well up to the standard I would expect from eating out, but with a better view! Thank you, Sarah and John, for a relaxing break.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled solo
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 April 2009

Graig Wên's very well presented website sets high expectations which were definately fulfilled. This isn't a lazy "flatpack Ikea contemporary" but a very comfortable and inviting connection with contemporary Wales. Sarah and John have styled Graig Wên using local woods, slate, furnishings and artwork backed up with very comfortable beds and en-suite's that are a pleasure to be in.

My partner, myself and eight friends took over the place which is beautifully located on the Mawddach estuary (I'll upload some photos of the view later) right next to the Mawddach trail which we walked along up to Barmouth one day. We dined in on the Saturday evening. John cooked up a delicious butternut squash, spinach and mushroom lasagne, a tasty traditional lasagne and a vegetarian chilli. It was lovely to be able to slip into the lounge and listen to the collection of CD's over wine in front of the log burning stove. Grace the dog was available for peting as well!

A wonderful chilled out stay that I'd recommend to anyone - We'll be back!

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with friends
London
Reviewed 1 January 2009

The purpose of my visit to Graig Wen was to have a few days of peace and quiet in the natural beauty of Wales. I thought the property was beautifully presented and obviously a lot of time and care had taken place into providing a comfortable yet modern environment.
When I booked my accom with the owner I stressed that I was looking for quietness, so I was disappointed to find when I arrived that there where building works going on for the duration of my stay. As a courtesy I should have been told about this when I booked, and therefore felt that the owner hadn't been very honest with me. Additionally, the property is set on the main road, which is quite busy. My room faced the main road, so I was without a view of the mountains and had traffic noise - something else I felt I should've been told at the time of booking.
The main communal area downstairs was once again, beautifully presented - a shame about the constant floor board squeaking from the room above which made it impossible to sit there and read a book!!
The breakfast was beautiful, but I would like to see vegetarians better taken care of. I didn't feel that replacing the sausage and bacon for a 'vege croquette', which was mainly bread, was acceptable - clearly the same cost is not being spent on the vege breakfast. Also, some variety in the breakfast should be considered, especially when people are staying for several days.
All in all I enjoyed my stay, but due to the issues above did think it was on the expensive side.

• Liked — the view from the breakfast table
  • Disliked — cramped room with traffic noise and no view
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled solo
1 Thank SRG1
Graigwen, Owner at The Slate Shed B &B at Graig Wen, responded to this review, 5 February 2009
We’re sorry this reviewer didn’t find complete quiet at Graig Wen but most of our guests do find it a peaceful and very beautiful spot. We have five rooms including two new spacious suites with exceptional views over our own 45 acres of wild Snowdonia. At “rush hour” our smaller rooms nearest the country road will hear occasional passing cars and the odd tractor but Spaghetti Junction it isn’t. We are adding descriptions and pictures of every room to our web site when we re-open in March 09 following refurbishment. We try our hardest to provide a quality breakfast to all our guests and are extending our menu this year as we respond to requests and discover more fantastic local Welsh produce.
London
Reviewed 2 September 2008

Had this B&B recommend by a friend at work who raved about it. And they were right. It's a lovely B&B, with approx 6 rooms, a view to die for when you're eating your gorgeous breakfast, and the view from some of the bedrooms is the same (unfortunately our friends nabbed the room with a view).

About the breakfast - have to put in a special word regarding their home made bread - it was very yummy and we couldn't get enough!

The local pub (1hour 20mins walk! or around 8 mins in the car) was also an excellent find (The George) - we didn't expect too much from the food there, but again it was lovely and reasonably priced.

This is an excellent base to explore the Snowdonia National Park from, but don't come without a car as you'll be stuck and don't expect any parties!

The bathrooms are slightly dated, and are being done up soon, but what they've done to the rest of the B&B is amazing - slate floors, wooden beams, front room to share with the rest of the guests with IPod docking station to listen to music and you're welcome to borrow any of their books and CDs.

Definitely one to visit.

• Stayed August 2008, travelled with friends
buckinghamshire, england
Reviewed 12 August 2008

Graig wen is a little gem , we stayed for two nights on a tight schedule but would love to return to explore the area around Dolgellau.
Our room was small but really comfortable and from our window we had wonderful views of the estuary . Weather was not so good , but tucked up in bed at Graig wen you soon realise it is lovely and cosy .
Sarah & John are ideal hosts and are helpful and informative about the area. Breakfast is a delight with fresh locally sourced food , the bacon is delicious ,and you eat sitting at a very communal table looking out on the wonderful views .
An ideal base to explore Snowdonia and the area around dolgellau . We enjoyed our short stay and hopefully will return in not to distant future . We thoroughly recommend Graig wen .

• Liked — views and food and room
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with friends
Calgary
Reviewed 29 July 2008

What a surprising experience this B&B turned out to be. Situated in the picturesque Welsh Highs, our room had a fabulous view of the bay below to watch the sea ebb and flow. The rooms were incredibly comfortable and the hosts ensured that all of our needs were met. From a DVD player in the room, to lovely lavendar soap.
If camping is more yourstyle, the Graig Wen offers fully equipped campgrounds. There are even two hurts on site that can be rented for a unique experience.
It was a majestic experience. Thank you Sarah and John.

• Liked — The owners dedication to their property and desire to have their guests have a great experience.
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled with friends
1 Thank RachelleS
Also consider these accommodations in or near Arthog
Bae Abermaw
Dinas Caravan Park, Camping & Glamping
Ocean Drive
Ocean Drive
#1 of 23 in Barmouth

Been to The Slate Shed B &B at Graig Wen? Share your experiences!