“Beautiful Scenery, Disappointing Service” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Bwlchgwyn Farm

Bwlchgwyn Farm
Bwlchgwyn Farm
“Beautiful Scenery, Disappointing Service”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2014

After having booked 2 nights away for camping, my 2 friends and I were really looking forward to it. As an experienced camper, I had done my research on the pitch and ensured that there were toilet/shower facilities, electric hookups, and decent sized pitches. Whilst these things were available, the camping experience was definitely not the best.

Upon arrival at the site we struggled to find the Farm House to book in, having already driven up and down the hill twice, we rung and were told someone would come to meet us. A man under the age of 25, who appeared to be the owners son, arrived in a truck and told us to follow him to the pitch. After wheel spinning twice and stalling, attempting to get up the hill to the pitch, our camping trip was already going downhill - even more so seeing the owners son laughing at our struggle up the hill. The owners son had showed us where the hookup up was, told us the pitch, informed us that the nearest town was Fairbourne, however gave no direct of how to get there, and asked for the rest of the money. He had no idea of how much this was, and when we informed him did not believe us until I had showed him proof of the email. He then left, with no offer of help to pitch our tent, asking if we needed anything, or showing us around. We still had no idea where reception was.

There was a lot of confusion about the parking area, as it was not clearly marked, and the car was resting on quite a slope. The ground to pitch the tent was solid, and appeared quite slaty underneath, with even even toughest tent pegs struggling to go in, bending as they went, and the tent not being fully secure until pegged at least three times. We were camped on the furthest pitch away, with every other pitch empty except one. Beside the camping pitches was a digging site, which we had not been warned about, with the work men making a lot of noise.

After eventually managing to pitch the tent in the rain, we settled down and enjoyed the view - the best part of the trip. The walk to the toilets is great there as you are going down hill, but coming back the hill is a trek, and you definitely end up out of breath by the top. The female toilet facilities contain 2 toilets, and 1 shower. This is for all the camping pitches, and the caravan pitches. There were overflow shower cubicles further down the hill we had come up to arrive, but not well signposted. Whilst the shower itself was a good, temperature control power shower, the cubicle was rather dirty, and the shower curtain provided little to no cover, and ended up being a nuisance.

After the first night, and having to hammer in a few of the pegs that had come up in have night, we set off for Barmouth and enjoyed the day out.

Upon arrival back to the tent, we found the wind had pushed the bedroom too far, and a pole had snapped. The tent unable to take the force of the wind, collapsed, and we packed the car and set off to leave a day early. Still no idea where the reception was, we parked and rang the farm house, explaining that we had a problem and needed to see someone. They sent their son once again to come and speak to us, where we explained what had happened, and our concerns with the pitch.

Their son asked us whether we had pitched the tent correctly, explained that nobody else had had any problems with the pitch before, and did not understand how our tent had broken in the wind, when there hadn't been any wind. After explaining to him that I am an experienced camper and that the ground was not suitable for tents, he asked again if we had pitched the tent correctly. He told us that 'thousands of people having pitched here and no one has ever had a problem before'. We informed him that we had left the tent on the pitch as it was broken beyond repair, and that we were leaving.

He did give us a refund of £20 for the night, however before we left told us that we should maybe next time we should 'try a camp site made for younger people'.

We left tentless, insulted, still no idea where reception was, and having not met the owners.

We will not be returning.

Room Tip: Request to have a lower pitch, and to speak to the owners.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
      Sleep Quality
4 Thank SarahhSarah

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Telford, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2014

Disappointing and waste of money! Upon arrival we had to ring to find out where to go as no reception or welcoming. We were then greeted by a rude and hasty young lad who showed us our pitch took our money and left. The pitch was at the highest point, which seemed odd as lower pitches were available. Quite far away from the toilet block and down a very steep hill, ground so hard that the pegs would not stay in. The wind was so strong on this pitch that several tent poles broke and ripped the tent. When we decided that enough was enough, we had to ring to ask someone to come out and see us. Greeted by the same young lad who was rude and patronizing when we explained what had happened. Great views and location, shame about the service and site conditions. Won't be returning again.

Room Tip: Make sure to get a lower pitch, and ask to speak to the owners not their rude son.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
      Sleep Quality
2 Thank Emily S
Telford, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2014

Just came back from what was supposed to be a two night stay on the campsite in our tent which turned into a one night stay. We didnt see the actual owners once during our stay, but dealt with what i assume to be their son (in his mid 20's i'd say). We were placed on an extremely high pitch even though there were a lot lower down that weren't occupied whilst we were there and that would have been much better sheltered from the extremely high winds that were in force while we were pitching the tent. When greeted the man seemed to have no idea if we were booked/how much deposit we had paid/how much we had to pay still and was extremely disorganized. Our tent snapped in several places due to the placement and made it completely uninhabitable for the last night so we left early. The ground is awful and appears to be grass laid/grown over slate or rocks that meant that the terrain was extremely difficult to get the tent pegs to go in any of the way. When we were leaving the man we had dealt with was extremely rude and suggested that we had 'not put the tent up correctly' 'thousands of campers have stayed here before and had no problems' and 'maybe we should have stayed at a site aimed at younger campers) and was really really patronising. Extremely dissapointed with a trip cut short because of shoddy organising from the site. Will not be staying again.

• Stayed May 2014
2 Thank BethPrice001
Cheshire, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 September 2013

My experience was slightly tainted by how disorganised they appeared to be. I had emailed four days before our planned trip to confirm they had spaces for the novice beach ride at 1pm which was confirmed by a member of staff via email. When we arrived we were told the tide was in and could we come back tomorrow? I was confused as I assumed the tide times would be regular therefore this should be highlighted on the website but we had already had confirmation the time was okay. However they did arrange for us to come back later on that day. By chance we ended up being the only two riders out and were escorted by Laura who was there for work experience and did a fantastic job in some difficult circumstances (her own horse being difficult, staff responding late to her calls for assistance, difficult sea wall workers who were supposed to stop their machines when a horse was near by and the frequently didn't). In all fairness I guess I had an ideal image of what my first horse ride on a beach would be and this was not it, as we had about approx 20 minutes on the beach. The other 1.40 was plodding through fields, noisy workman/machines. In fairness the sea wall has to be fixed and this might have impacted,on the allocated time on the beach so my advice would be check times; amount of people on each outing and route to beach before you book. Thank you again Laura for making the best of a bad situation, good luck with uni and I hope the horses enjoyed the carrots and apples.

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Nippyems
North Yorkshire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2013

Experienced riders, hack out every couple of weeks, country jumping, riding holidays home and abroad etc we planned the 2 hour beach ride. Have to say the Instructor (possibly the owner) was just a teensy bit up herself - and yes I know safety is paramount. We have our own stirrups which she inspected at some length and went on about some stitching that might need correcting in about 10 years but eventually agreed they may last the next 2 hours. Funny though, she didn't inspect our hats which I would've thought more important, nor our body protectors or lacing.

Next was an assessment in the arena to make sure we could actually ride. OK for my wife as she's tiny, but as I couldn't get my boots properly into the small stirrups on the test horse, I cantered around more holding them with my toes to hold onto them. Major hoo-ha - legs too bent so obviously not capable of cantering/galloping in an open space as the horse may well run off blindly in another direction so can't possibly allow a ride on the beach. Eventually it was agreed I might just be trusted not to tumble off every 5 minutes and maybe, just maybe, the horse might follow the others and not gallop away on its own into Barmouth.

At last we set off, and fortunately the Instructor lady didn't come with us. This was 45 minutes at the slowest walk/stop/walk you can imagine in a line of about 20 or so others behind some children being led on lead reins. At last the beach, where our group split off for 15/20 minutes of cantering and galloping along the beach which was great and well controlled - and no I didn't tumble off, and no my horse didn't run off in the opposite direction (although one rider, presumably with nice straight legs, did manage to fall off).

Then there was the ride back. Another 45 minutes at walk/stop/walk behind the same folk being led on lead reins.

Riding on the beach was great and well managed, but try as I might I can't follow the logic of all the experienced riders having to trail out and back in, which takes out the majority of the 2 hours, behind people being led on lead reins, and no, I don't expect to be cantering about all over the place. But surely there must be more than just the one route, or maybe the experienced ones could have gone ahead of those on lead reins or something.

So; great riding on the beach but a disappointing slog there and back at lead rein pace. Hope this review is helpful to you.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank RegularTraveller60
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2013

Me and my family booked a 2 hour Novice trek along the beach.The service was brilliant all staff at the farm were friendly and polite,the Ponies were well behaved and very friendly.The trek was really really good,would recommend to familys and couples.We had some serious wet weather on the way back but it was still enjoyable and the Ponies were well behaved.Good value for money. :)

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Stourbridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2013 via mobile

What a fabulous two hour hack to the beach for a brilliant canter. I was really impressed with the professional & friendly team looking after our trek. As an experienced rider I opted for the experienced beach ride, this meant splitting from the main group half way round to enable us to have a trot, canter & gallop across the 3 mile beach...fantastic experience & highly recommended if you can ride. You are assessed in the school before bring permitted to go on the experienced ride, I was surprised how many people insisted they could ride when clearly they were novices, I don't understand this as it put the staff in an awkward position of having to explain that they weren't competent enough to go at a fast pace on an open stretch of beach. The beach is public so the instructors can't risk having uncontrolled horses galloping about. This puts the rider, other horses & riders & the public at risk & could of potentially spoilt my ride. So please, please be honest about your or your children's riding ability. Thankfully the team at the yard are super professional & ensure this potential risk is kept to a minimum. My horse Isi, was a lovely chestnut mare. Not hot headed at all, even on the beach. Had to persuade her to leave the group a little but she was perfectly behaved once we were on our way. She really looked after me. Thank you for a fantastic afternoon.

• Stayed August 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Arthog
Ty'r Graig Castle
Bryn Melyn Guest House
Bryn Melyn Guest House
#1 of 24 in Barmouth
Dinas Caravan Park, Camping & Glamping

Been to Bwlchgwyn Farm? Share your experiences!