Homewood Park Hotel & Spa
  • Breakfast included
Widbrook Grange(Bradford-on-Avon)
  • Breakfast included
  • Restaurant
All reviewsoutdoor pooljunior suitegarden suitesauna and steam roomon arrivalafternoon teaelemis toiletriesfree standing bathroll top bathhuge bedlovely hotelblack puddingcream teabirthday treatmy mumrelaxing stayspecial occasion
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 9 October 2011

Stayed for a spa weekend. Spa facilities are fine, though loungers are scarce inside (3) so nab one whilst you can! Room was ok though incredibly hot as there was a fault with the radiators. Despite a maintenance guy saying he would turn it off it remained this way for the whole weekend. I found an electric fan for the second night which provided some relief, though only because I saw one being taken to another room!! The staff were indifferent and showed no interest - there was no apology for the problem with the radiators or offer of a move. Maid service was poor - a roughly shaken out duvet with pillows left on the floor and the bathroom bin wasn't emptied. Basic things which you expect to be done. In the evening we had to repeatedly find someone to take our drinks orders - annoying when you just want to relax. Dinner itself was ok, though the a la carte menu was limited and uninspiring (4 starters, 4 mains). All in all, an ok experience but we won't be heading back.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank pabc
Reviewed 2 September 2011

We have stayed at Homewood Park before - in fact about 3 years ago we had a nice weekend break there to celebrate our anniversary.
So we decided to revisit this Bank Holiday which again coincided with our Anniversary, and booked in for a Champagne Afternoon Tea (£29 per head).
On arrival, we noticed that the hotel had been almost taken over by a corporate photo shoot (for Clarkes footwear), and instead of walking through the main hotel entrance a PR lady ushered us away into a side entrance to avoid disrupting the photo shoot and models...

Not the best entrance, however we understand hotels do need to maximise their revenues however they can, and carried on regardless.

Expecting to have our Champagne Afternoon Tea at a beautiful table (perhaps overlooking the gardens), we were disappointed to be placed in some kind of library waiting room, sat on a sofa and chair with no outside view. We did have a firplace to stare at which was at least some consolation.

We were hoping that the food at least would live up to expectations, but I'm afraid for £29 each you dont get a lot for your money. We each got 3 tiny finger sandiches (literally the size of a finger), one glass of champagne (nice), one scone and jam (nice but not homemade), and 3 other cakes which were best described as dry shop standard small squares (a flapjack, a brownie and a madeira cake slice). All the last 3 were not homemade, and something you would get from a Mr Kipling type cake.

We sat there for an hour and in all that time no waiter or waitress appeared to ask if we were enjoying our food, or to offer us more tea/coffee. Basically our tea and coffee were good for a cup each, and with cake its nice to get a refill.

We had intended to stay on and order some more champagne and perhaps brandy, but there were no staff looking after us (instead they were all running around like puppies servicing the Clarkes photoshoot- who were obviously vastly more important to the hotel than guests were). So after an hour of silence/no service we decided to get up and leave, taking the chance to let the Reception staff know that we weren't very happy. Despite a polite 'sorry' from reception, there was no offer of explanation or attempt to rectify the situation.

To compound matters, we wrote an e-mail to the Hotel Manager when we got home, and now it is 5 days later and we still have not had any acknowledgment/respose whatsoever.

My advice is to avoid Homewood Park - it used to be good, but looks like it has gone downhill in terms of service over the last 3 years.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
12  Thank CTE1
Reviewed 20 August 2011

We stayed at Homewood for a long weekend. We were looking for a relaxing and quiet weekend retreat and we definitely got what we wanted. The hotel is lovely, not too big or small, and the room we stayed in was fabulous, a modern garden suite at the back of the hotel. Only downside was that there wasn't any WiFi in the garden suites, only in the main house bedrooms. We booked in for a couple of spa treatments which were lovely and the pool was great. Location is very secluded and quiet but just 10 mins outside Bath city centre and lots of surrounding villages. Beautiful grounds and gardens. Well worth a visit.

Room Tip: Definitely recommend a garden suite although they don't have WiFi, only available in the main house/bedrooms
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank lilly1000
Reviewed 24 July 2011

Two night room and breakfast rate, the breakfast on the first morning was a bit of a let down, no fresh fruit and a few bowls of cereal.My husbands scrambled egg and smoked salmon was very nice apart from the hair in it!. The next morning when there were more families and customers who were clearly not there for any corporate matters the breakfast was better, a whole range of fruit, compote and a doubled sized display of cereal. The breakfast I asked for was poached egg, bacon and mushrooms on toast. What I got was a poached egg on toast - the vinegar water it was cooked in has seeped into the toast, two slices of bacon that had been kept hot for so long I could not get my fork into them and the mushrooms consisted of half a mushroom the size of a fifty pence piece !.My husbands scrambled egg and bacon looked awful and again the bacon was completely ruined by being too hard and dry. We are still stunned by the mushroom portion
The dinner menu was at an unbelievable price and I hope the diners got a better meal than our breakfast experience.
The grounds are beautiful and the room furnished to an adequate standard, however on enquiring about wifi we were told it was available. Our room was almost directly above the reception and the wifi did not work and there was no follow up from staff to check availability.
The staff were friendly but watched as we struggled up and down the stairs with our cases which was not really the level of service we had anticipated.
Overall a disappointing couple of days in what is supposed to be a higher end hotel.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
10  Thank Goldhawk35
Reviewed 6 July 2011

Despite this being a Spa hotel, we couldn't book any treatments - these, I assume, have been pre-booked by club members (not guests). I dropped an email to the general manager expressing my disappointment - but did not receive the courtesy of a reply.

The welcome to the hotel was tepid and lacklustre and the dinner was average. One of the few decent wines on a very brief wine list was unavailable and a Sauternes I ordered had to be sent back as it tasted as if it had been watered down.

I guess the fact that Von Essen has gone bust must have had a very demoralising effect on the staff - that's certainly how it felt.

I would not stay here again and nor would I recommend it.

Dinner for two and one night was £380. Not exactly cheap.

• Stayed: July 2011
9  Thank Neilda
SKayR, Marketing at Homewood Park Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2011

I do apologise for some of the disappointing aspects with your stay. As you know, we were able to offer a variety of treatments at different times of your stay, but I do understand your frustration that you were unable to pamper your wife with your preferred treatment at the desired time during the stay.
On my return to the hotel after two days away I immediately phoned, but unfortunately you had just left the hotel. I also offered an instant apology, but furthermore the opportunity for spa treatments in the afternoon if you were still in the local Bath area. However, I do understand that you declined as you were driving home at the time.
I shall naturally investigate the other points raised, and would like to reassure you that we are focused on offering our guests a warm welcome and the level of service that is expected of a leading country house hotel.
I am keen to ensure that your disappointments are resolved, and I do hope that you will contact me directly in due course.
With best wishes,