“Travelzoo treat”

Homewood Park Hotel & Spa
Highbridge, United Kingdom
“Travelzoo treat”
Reviewed 2 September 2012

A very quick review this time. Had a cream tea here with a Travelzoo deal and found it a lovely treat. Its on the A36 at Hinton Charterhouse, not in the village itself and a pretty sharp turn off the main road from Bath. From our couple of hours here, I can tell you we loved the feel of the place, the grounds, welcome and general ambience. We were warmly greeted, shown to our table in the drawing room bay overlooking the gardens and provided with a very nice cream tea with all the trimmings. I was even asked to choose my tea from the tea menu. Plenty of period features, lovely grounds and views. Just a lovely old fashioned creaky floored sort of place. I cant comment on anything else but was very happy with our afternoon out.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
London
Reviewed 1 September 2012

On paper this hotel ticks all the boxes, but in reality the sum of its parts is less than the whole.. We've been grappling with trying to pin point the problem because it scores quite well on all aspects, but I think the answer is that it is heartless. The ambiance, the staff, the food, the rooms- there are all, well, dead. Characterless and without charm. The place was positively child unfriendly, preferring to subscribe to Alzajeera than CBBC, banning them from the spa and offering marmite sandwiches on the children's dinner menu! We had one bar of soap between the four of us in the luxury suite. But the true demonstration of heartlessness came when we announced that we had to cut our break short because one of the children was ill. Despite out obvious distress, they insisted we pay for the room we never slept it. How charmless and short-sighted was that. But in keeping, I guess.

4 Thank hotelman987
Swansea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 August 2012

We stayed here for one night. Overall, enjoyed my stay. Spa area very nice and the outdoor pool was lovely. Stayed in a master suite. Plenty of room, overlooking the pool area. Mineral water in the room as well as a nice selection of Elemis products. It has attractive gardens. Breakfast was ok, good selection of juices and fruit. The cooked breakfast is ordered and served to your table. The road at the side can be a bit noisy, as can the deliveries and rubbish collection very early in the morning. Not sure I would rush back though.

Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 August 2012

This lovely country hotel has a great many excellent features................and they deserve to be listed here...
Efficient and intelligent reception people;very friendly and attentive staff (nothing was too much trouble!) ...beautiful public rooms and gardens ;food to die for served expertly and discretely and an award winning spa which we didn't use,but which looked tremendous.......and they even welcome dogs which is very important for us!.
I wasn't surprised when the receptionist told us that the hotel was consistently near full week in-week out
All this comes at a price,of course but I was actually quite happy to cough up top whack for one of their best rooms..described as a "Garden Double Bedded Suite" (the hotel's words in their confirmation ) for a night of hedonistic luxury prior to a taxing hospital stay.

So, with heightening anticipation ,we checked in,and followed the receptionist to our Garden "Suite".
And there it was, just a beautifully decorated "Bedroom".
There was a huge practically empty hallway (and a huge practically empty bathroom when I think about it!)...but no sofa or chairs to sprawl on....no table and chairs to eat at or work on..and no way of watching the tele without perching on the bed. ...come on,Travelodge rooms do better than this.!!
There were two armless and extremely uncomfortable bedroom chairs and a pouffe (hope I've spelt that right!!) which sort of acted as a wobbly little side table type thing.
We slept well and I was showered to death in their super-duper aircraft hanger of a bathroom next morning before visiting Reception.
The young lady recovered quickly enough when I posed my simple question..."How do I eat a full English Breakfast in your Garden Suite?" replying with a crafty " There is an external dining area,sir"
..Aha!!!..nice thinking on your feet,young lady!!.Well done .............0-15
"What happens when its 30 below or hissing down with rain then,luv" as my response didn't elicit a recordable answer...........................................................................15-all
My second question was the ace.."How do you watch the tele without sitting on the bed,then"
This left the poor lass floundering on the baseline.....................game set and match!!
Now,if you Google "define a hotel suite" , all the websites I visited talk about "multiple rooms" or "bedrooms with attached living areas"...or at the very least "a room with easy chairs or a sofa".
I didn't see any mention of wobbly pouffes.
But forget Google and think of your own experiences.
I've been lucky enough to travel the UK and the world staying in nice accomodation over the years...every "suite" I've lived in had a table and chairs and some form of comfortable lounge seating... a"living area" in fact..even some of the "chain hotels" with their daft "Junior Executive Suites" get it nearly right.

So get your act together,Homewood Park ,you're much ,much too good for all this pompous nonsense. Make sure your definitions are accurate and match your brochure descriptions and importantly ,please ensure that you are not confusing potential visitors.

Be clear, I would definitely not have stayed in the "Garden Room" for the price you offered..but was attracted by the "Suite" connotation .....and my expection of that offer was a lot higher than the reality of the product I got.

Room Tip: Ask some penetrating questions about what you get for your money
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank caterad
Virginia Water, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 August 2012

Having read some of the more positive reviews I am starting to wonder if they stayed at a different hotel!
Friendly service, a warm welcome, an introduction to what the hotel has to offer, certainly not at Homewood Park!

Upon arrival the receptionist was more concerned with ticking things off her little check sheet and enquiring whether we would like an early morning call, than actually welcoming us. She walked us down to the garden suite we had booked without saying a word, unlocked it and simply handed us the key, no introduction to any hotel facilities, or information on the restaurant times, or spa. The only piece of information we were given, which was following my question about children being allowed to use both indoor and outdoor pools was actually incorrect.

We specifically booked this hotel because of its supposed family friendly attitude, wrong! children are not allowed in the indoor spa pool and access to the outdoor pool is restricted to certain hours! When I asked for a locker (which you can't just take, they have the most bizarre system whereby you have to phone reception to ask for a code) I was told there were none available as they had all been taken by day spa guests, and as a hotel resident I should just leave my clothes and valuables in my hotel room, where there is no safe! great idea given that the hotel has very large notices saying they are not liable for any loss or theft greater than £50!

We had booked the garden suite as it had a sofa bed so our 4 year old daughter could sleep there, not that there was any linen for it, or anyone offered to make it up for us. I called twice before anyone came to make it.

Room service is a bit of a joke, hope you're not thirsty!

To top it all when we went to check out I was informed my bill included all the lunches and dinners we had consumed whilst in the hotel (we had none) when I asked to see the receipts for these, I was told "here is your signature" strange really that it was a different name to my husband and I, I had to repeatedly reassure the receptionist that we had not eaten anything in the hotel other than the rather poorly catered breakfast, before she would accept that it wasn't our bill!

When I was finally asked upon checkout had we enjoyed our stay and I replied absolutely not, the hotel seems totally soulless and with a complete lack of management, I was told "yes we have just got a new manager but he's not here yet" explains a lot.

Would we go back,..... definitely not, and I advise anyone else looking for a family friendly hotel to avoid this one.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else!
5 Thank Underwoodfamily3
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 22 August 2012

great hotel - stayed here with three kids baby and two under 7 - got a lovely room near the pool with a little garden out front. from arrival we had a genuine friendly welcome at the receptioons as we arrived late with three sleeping kids and all were transferred sleeping to their beds while luggage and car was taken care for us.

Food was excellent both at dinner and breakfast. pool was a little cool buit nice on a hot day. the grounds are really nice and it is no distance into bath.

ordered coffee and bisuits to the room, the cookies were freshly baked and still warm and the kids are still raving about them!

great hotel - will definitely return

Room Tip: family rooms out the back are large and detached so don't need to worry about disturbing other g...
wales
Reviewed 18 August 2012

Very nice staff to greet you, had spar treatments and they were very good, staff very nice there too. Had a slight problem with the phone in the room not working but it was noted. And the shower was too hot to use ( forgot to mention it to reception)
Grounds are lovely.

The Bath Priory
The Bath Priory
#9 of 30 in Bath
Villa at Henrietta Park

Been to Homewood Park Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!