“Puzzling upgrade”

Homewood Park Hotel & Spa
Reviewed 15 March 2013 via mobile

We booked a room with a double bed and two single beds for the kids, when we arrived tokd we had been upgraded which I was happy about but then realised the room only had one double bed. They gotnus a fold put bed which was loke laying on concrete. Ps the girl on the front desk has awful customer service. Everything else was good though

• Stayed: March 2013
Josh W, General Manager at Homewood Park Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 22 March 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review regarding your recent stay with us

I am pleased to read that we were able to upgrade you complimentary to offer you a more spacious room for your family to enjoy. Some of our bedrooms have sofa beds for children to sleep on and in others we use extra beds.

We are constantly renewing our customer service training to ensure we provide the best possible service to our guests

Reviewed 11 March 2013

Just spent the weekend at Homewood Park and loved it. It's an excellent mix of old school and modern (and no the light fixtures in the restaurant aren't hideous as i read in another person's post)

I also read a negative post about room number 9. This is the room we stayed in and it was lovely, spotlessly clean, quite big and has a really comfortable bed. Yes there are steps in the room which i loved - anyone who complains about this needs to take more responsibility for remembering they're there and not tripping over them!

The spa was lovely - my only (small) criticism is that we could have been provided with more info when we arrived e.g. where to find the spa, restaurant etc and also how to use the coded lockers in the changing rooms. There was no hotel guide in the room either which was odd.

The food is amazing and really not that expensive for what you get! Try the prawn canapes for £4 yum! I would definitely recommend the trio of desserts - i felt like i was on master chef tasting all the amazing flavours

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Emer M
Josh W, General Manager at Homewood Park Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 15 March 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for your wonderful comments regarding your recent stay with us

I am delighted to read that you had such a great time and appreciated the character of the property mixed with the modern touches that are expected.

The Tides at Homewood Restaurant opened just last month after being fully refurbished so it is fantastic to see such glowing feedback regarding the new menu on offer

The Team and I all hope to welcome you back in the future

Kind Regards

Reviewed 5 March 2013

We stayed at the Homewood Park Hotel last weekend. Booked direct with the hotel in a Classic Room on dinner, bed and breakfast at an attractive rate. We were welcomed on arrival and offered a complimentary upgrade from Classic to Luxury room (not featured on the hotel's website) which was very spacious, located in the new extension to the hotel.

All went well but on going to the bar for pre dinner drinks, I felt that £5.50 for a bottle of local beer and £4.00 for a small (25cl) measure of "standard" gin was a bit topside - making a large G&T and a beer £15 (plus an added service charge on the bill when leaving). This is clearly where the hotel boosts it's margins. They do offer half bottles of wine but, again, at £22 for a not very special bottle (and cheapest on the list!), this again seemd expensive..............perhaps I'm out of touch??

Having arrived in the restaurant, the food was excellent as was the service.

My only minor gripe was that the background music was very upbeat and quite loud, not very condusive to a relaxing evening. Breakfast was excellent, although portions a little small.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MonmouthMike_Debbie

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review following your recent stay with us,

I am delighted to read that we were able to complimentary upgrade you on the day and that you enjoyed the larger room.

We do offer a wide range of beverages for sale including some fantastic wines from around the world – our team are always more than happy to help match the perfect bottle with your dinner choices.

Thank you for all of your comments which we take on board

Kind Regards

Reviewed 27 February 2013

We stayed recently for a two night spa break and chose this hotel particularly because it allows dogs. On arrival the house looked lovely nestled in very attractive grounds, however when we tried to check in there was no-one on reception. A lady in a receptionists uniform came over after a couple of minutes looked through a couple of drawers, ignored us completely and walked off again! Not a good start. We were eventually shown to our room, No 9 which is a split level affair. It all looks very nice, but you do have to be careful if you need to get up for the loo at night to remember the steps are there! The bedside cabinets were a bit worn, but it was sweet that they had put a dog bed and blanket into the room. They were happy that our dog stayed in the room while we went down for dinner as well.

So, we went down for dinner and asked the wine waiter if we could have the glass of champagne each that came with our package in the lounge before we went in. We sat on a sofa next to the fire which would have been lovely had the fire been lit. Another waiter then came in and asked what we would like to drink so we repeated ourselves.

Much has been made of the redecoration of the restaurant, but we felt it was very disappointing. No idea why it has been renamed Tides, no seaside theme at all. The walls and woodwork have all been painted grey. There is a very austere steel riveted paneling effect all along the back wall and a very ugly lighting feature hung from the ceiling. Not at all in keeping with a country house hotel. The menu was interesting if you are a meat eater, however I am vegetarian and did mention this on booking. There was only one choice for both nights in this event, the starter being the predictable goats cheese. What is it with goats cheese for the vegetarian choice across the country? My husband chose the lamb and although it all looked beautiful, the portions were very small. It was the same at breakfast the following morning, his fried breakfast consisted of scrambled egg, half a tomato, one field mushroom, two fried new potatoes and one rasher of bacon. The cold breakfasts were laid out on a table and unfortunately very uninspiring. The fruit juices were along way from being freshly squeezed, the muesli was poor quality, the selection of pastries was very limited and the fruit salad was mostly apple, no berries or anything to brighten it up. The waiter at breakfast did not speak English as well as was needed.

I am trying to be balanced and fair and so will mention that on our second night at dinner after asking the waiter, the chef kindly offered to make a spinach and mushroom wellington as a vegetarian choice, so I opted for this. This I suspect could have been the reason we were then kept waiting for an hour before we had so much as a bread roll, despite asking twice if we could at least have the bread! Not what you expect at these prices.

The spa was also interesting. We had pre-booked as asked a treatment each at 4.30 on our second day. On arrival at the spa there was no-one on the desk and no towels anywhere to be seen. We did enjoy our dip in the outside pool, yes a bit nippy, but it was February. The indoor jacuzzi was lovely as were the steam room and sauna. However we had still not seen a member of the spa staff and as our 4.30 appointment approached we went looking around for someone or at least a towel so that we could dry off before our treatments. We did have toweling dressing gowns which had been left in our room but we were reluctant to use these as we would have to then put them back on damp to go back outside to our rooms. Eventually however we had no choice. Our therapists arrived to collect us 10 minutes late. Luckily, we had found the forms laying around you normally have to fill in before a treatment and had filled them out to save time when they eventually did turn up. The massage and facial we had were both very nice and relaxing, it would have been nice though to have been brought a glass of water afterwards instead of having to walk around the jacuzzi to the water jugs left there and try to find a clean cup!

The final straw came when we went to check out and the bill was approximately £60 more than it should have been. We had been over charged for wine and they had made a mistake with the price of the package we had agreed. We did then ask to see the Manager who arrived promptly, so we sat down to explain that our expectations of a country house hotel charging the prices they were had not been met. He listened carefully and was apologetic. He managed to sort out the problem with our bill and we left hoping he would attend to some of the problems we had raised.

We did enjoy our stay, as the house and the area it is located in is beautiful. We had a beautiful walk along the river in Freshford just down the hill and were very conveniently located for a trip into Bath. We also appreciated the fact that the hotel is dog friendly.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
7  Thank PennypupChichester

Dear Guest

Firstly, I am very disappointed to read this review as all of the issues you had during your stay were discussed with myself at great length the following morning. We acknowledge that there may be very rare occasions that we don’t meet guests expectations and in this instance I believe it is vitally important that the hotel listens to constructive feedback and acts upon it in a positive manor. I therefore find it hard to understand why you didn’t mention in your review the substantial refund which I processed as an apology for not meeting all of your expectations.

Below is a short summary of the explanations provided to you following on from the short comings you experienced during your stay:

The receptionist was showing another guest to their room when you arrived, and the other lady was the wedding coordinator who came and took something from the draw; she was dealing with another guest at the time. However, we are sorry that there was a short delay in you being greeted on arrival.

We think room 9 is a fantastic room with a lot of character including a split level aspect, which with many of our guests love.

As a county house hotel the odd item of our furniture is a bit worn; we feel this adds character and makes us different to a lot of the purpose build modern contemporary hotels.

Dogs are always welcome at the hotel and we even provide provisions for them in the room; including a dog bed and water bowl.

I apologise for you having to order the champagne twice, this is not up to our usual standards and was reflected in the refund given.

We have had a fantastic response since we opened the new restaurant; many people especially like the light feature, but we are aware that it is not to everyone’s taste and you are entitled to your opinion.

We are aware that the design of the restaurant is not entirely in keeping with the rest of the hotel, however I quote from the front page of our website ‘A warm and welcoming fusion of the contemporary and the classic’, so hopefully guests know what to expect when they book with us.

We were aware before your arrival that you are vegetarian; and although the choice wasn’t extensive, the head chef was willing, and did, give you alternatives and created you something special for dinner.

We are very proud of our breakfast offering as we source all of our ingredients from local farmers and butchers and make a lot of the items that form the buffet in house. Again you are entitled to have your personal opinion on this.

The breakfast waiter on shift is our restaurant supervisor who is Italian. He has worked in the restaurant trade in Bath since 1992, and although he has an accent we consider his English to be more than adequate.

I am pleased you enjoyed the treatments, and as discussed during our meeting we were unfortunately short of a therapist on that day, due to unforeseen circumstances which resulted in your treatments being a little delayed. We have taken action to ensure this doesn’t happen again and it was reflected in the refund offered.

In regards to the bill coming to more than expected, you were incorrectly quoted at the time of booking to include extras in your package that were not charged for, which resulted in you getting some extras free of charge. Being our mistake I of course took these straight off your bill.

If you would like to discuss any of these points in more detail you are more than welcome to contact me direct at the hotel. I hope the substantial refund you received will restore your confidence in the hotel.

Reviewed 25 February 2013

A really nice quiet place for you to relax and enjoy time with your other half.
I booked through Groupon so it was half price to what you would normally pay, that came with two spa treatments and evening meal so was really good value.
Our room was a junior suite which was really nice, no mini bar/fridge though, which although we would not have used any of the contents, it would have been handy to for a bottle of bubbly that we brought (minor details though).
Spa was really nice, we had a massage each, then used the massive jacuzzi, outdoor pool is heated, which was nice as there was snow everywhere which made it a bit more induldgent.
Restaurant was amazing as was the service, very romantic and special.
Would thoroughly recommend, but it will cost a few bob though

Room Tip: Take some of your own fizz/Wine
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay with us,

I am pleased to read that you had such an amazing time and were able to enjoy all of the facilities on offer. Thank you for your kind comments regarding our newly refurbished Tides at Homewood restaurant for which we have received some great feedback

We hope to welcome you back to Homewood in the future

Reviewed 22 February 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed here last weekend after he booked a surprise night away for valentines day. It is one if the nicest places ive stayed, and we were upgraded to a room (called the waterlily) which was wonderful :-) the staff were all really friendly, the food was delicious, and the spa area was beautifully clean and relaxing- we had a swim/jacuzzi late at night in the dark and also before breakfast which I loved :-) the hotel is set in beautiful gardens which our room looked out onto, apparently you can take your dogs too but we didnt realise this! It must be a great place because my boyfriend asked me to marry him while we were here! I did say yes :-)

• Stayed: February 2013

Dear Guest

May I firstly take this opportunity to congratulate you both on your engagement, we all wish you both every happiness.

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Homewood Park, I am delighted that you had such a wonderful and memorable stay with us and that we were able to upgrade you complimentary to our top Garden Suite which added to the occasion.

We all hope to welcome you back in the future, maybe with your dog next time too!

Reviewed 21 February 2013

A lovely relaxed hotel with very accommodating staff. The breakfast was very good and the restaurant/dinner was top quality. The bedroom was a good size and had a large bathroom. Both were very clean and well furnished. I would recommend the hotel as a base for visiting Bath and the surrounding area. I would definitely stay there again but I think the hotel is expensive unless you get a special "offer". Also, despite the fact that the hotel had a spa this was not mentioned when we checked-in!

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Josh W, General Manager at Homewood Park Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 22 February 2013

Dear Guest

I am pleased to read that you had such a great stay, and that you were able to take time to visit the nearby City of Bath which is only 5 miles away and offers many beautiful attractions.

Thank you for all of your kind comments which I have passed on to the team here; we all look forward to welcome you back in the future

Also consider these accommodations in or near Hinton Charterhouse
Combe Grove Hotel
#22 of 34 in Bath
Francis Hotel Bath - MGallery by Sofitel
Bailbrook House Hotel

Been to Homewood Park Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!