“Afternoon tea”

Homewood Park Hotel & Spa
Yeovil, United Kingdom
“Afternoon tea”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2013

had afternoon tea at this lovely hotel, decor and furnishings wonderful, the grounds are lovely, the staff were very attentive and polite, the service was very good and the "afternoon tea" was lovely worth a visit

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
Josh W, General Manager at Homewood Park Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 3 May 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your recent review on your visit for Afternoon Tea.

I am delighted that you had such a great time, and have passed all of your thanks on to the team.

We all hope to welcome you back in the future.

Joshua Watts

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
Southampton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2013

We stayed here for a 3 night break in April 2013. This is a lovely hotel in lovely grounds. We stayed in a garden room which was the most expensive. When we walked into the room for the first time we were quite impressed, however on closer inspection there were a few issues - no fridge/bar, no biscuits on the tea/coffee tray, heating very complicated to control and the lighting isn't good, particularly for ladies trying to apply make up.
We had dinner on 2 of the 3 nights and both times it was excellent, although the wine is very overpriced! If you are asked if you would like water be sure to specify tap water otherwise you will automatically be given bottled (also pricey). I must say that the restaurant manager/supervision was extremely pleasant and helpful
Unfortunately the breakfast was not good. Portions were very small, toast undercooked and cold and service at breakfast on the Sunday was very poor.
One final point , the particular young girl on reception when we arrived and who was there during our stay probably requires more training. First she showed us to the wrong room and then left us there while she sorted it out (blamed it on the computer!!), for some reason she thought we'd stayed there before, and then got the time of our dinner reservation wrong. When she showed us to the correct room she just dumped the keys on the bed and left - she didn't show us around the room, tell us about breakfast times etc or seem to welcome us in any way. Finally on the last day when I went to reception and asked her what time late check out was she told me 12 o' clock when we had paid extra to stay until 3pm - her excuse for getting it wrong was because I had'nt told her I had paid extra for this - what about customer always being right....?
The weekend cost us over £1000 but I really don't think it was worth it. I have stayed in many good 4star hotels and paid less.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank PENTON54
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review regarding your recent stay with us.

I am pleased to read that there were many positive elemtens to your stay and I hope that overall you enjoyed your stay with us.

We take on board all feedback provided from our guests as we are continually striving to improve. We have recently had a few new members of the team join us and therefore we are in the middle of our training programme with them.

I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Kind Regards

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2013 via mobile

I stayed here with my boyfriend for his birthday as a surprised and we stayed in a junior suite. It was so cute, the bathroom was massive including a roll top bath. The suite also including a small garden area with views of the spa (just a shame it was more sunny as it would be lovely to have the patio doors open).
The staff at the hotel were always friendly and happy to answer any questions, book taxis etc. Only slight annoyance was we weren't informed there was a fee for the paper daily, but not a massive deal. Would definitely recommend use of the spa. We both had treatments which were fabulous. The hotel is in a perfect location as it is in beautiful surroundings, and only a sort drive/taxi to Bath centre. Overall it was a lovely stay and would stay there again

• Stayed April 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay
I am pleased to read that you had such a great time and enjoyed all of the facilities.

We very much look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Swindon, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2013

We booked a package for the Spa facilities and dinner for our anniversary on the 20th March, what a good choice & great stay! The room number 12 was lovely and well equipped, the Spa had everything you would need and we enjoyed using the facilities for the two days and felt really relaxed afterwards.
The dinner was very high quality and only the dessert was a slight disappointment.
The grounds and leisure area are traditional with a boutique feel, the staff were very friendly & helpful. All in all a 5 star experience and we would go back again.

Room Tip: The upper rooms and corner suites had great views and were really comfortable.
Dear Mr and Mrs Day

Thank you for your recent review.

I am delighted to read that you had such a wonderful anniversary treat.

Thank you for all of your kind comments.

We hope to welcome you back soon.

Congleton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2013

Stayed here for 2 night package as a family of 4 in a junior suite, a really large spacious room (no. 3) over-looking the garden. Beautiful. Had a large bathroom with Elemis toiletries. Very comfy beds. Dined in restaurant on first night and what a truly wonderful experience. The food was delicious and plentiful, beautifully presented and worth the cost. Breakfast was equally good and cooked to order. Staff all very polite and friendly. The spa was an added bonus with hydrotherapy pool, steam room and sauna to relax in whilst being able to supervise our children in the heated outdoor pool through the window. instant wifi, no having to register your email address. Whole ambience of the hotel relaxed, a perfect getaway, perfect location, perfect hotel! Really enjoyed spending my birthday here.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay with us.

I am delighted to you had such a good birthday break, and all of your family enjoyed the facilities on offer.

I have passed all of your wonderful comments onto the team, and we all hope to welcome you back in the future.

Bristol, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2013

My partner and I booked a single evening as a bank holiday break. The house is a stunning venue from the outside, with a very traditional feel. We were booked into the hotel in less than 10 minutes, and soon found ourselves in a room at the top of the stairs - room 8, to be exact.

The first thing I noticed was a spider roughly the size of a golf ball, perched in a cobweb in one of the ceiling corners. After I'd regained my colour, put down the brandished chair and unravelled myself from the shower curtain, my partner disposed of the damned thing.

The room itself was quite cramped. Not uncomfortably so, though the addition of a chez longue to the room drastically reduces the floorspace, and frankly, being positioned roughly 2 feet from the television, renders it practically useless. The decor of the room was very pleasant - with a well appointed bathroom and very very comfortable bed. But in more than one place, the wallpaper looked creased with age, and appeared to be coming away from the wall. It's only a little thing - but when your room costs £195 per night, the little things matter.

We made full use of a very well maintained spa. The outdoor pool is heated to a comfortable 28 degrees, which in the winter air was very refreshing. The indoor aquatherapy pool was great - as were the sauna and steam room, though everything seemed to be chlorinated to within a hair's breadth of rendering the patrons blind. Towels were in abundance, as was complimentary iced water to be drunk from plastic cups.

We dined at the hotel during the evening. A young Polish (I think) Chap was keen to practise his cocktail-mixing skills on us, so we enjoyed one each before dinner. We were offered water and bread - accepting both, though having to remind waitresses twice to bring them. We considered wine for the brief amount of time it took for me to realise that the list here is massively overpriced. Robert Mondavi at £70 per bottle? Good God, no. This annoyed the hell out of me.

"Never return food", my grandfather would say, "... the Chef's don't like it." He was right. So, I didn't. But I should have. I ordered pigeon to start, followed by shoulder of lamb - the other half ordering scallops and something unmemorable. The pigeon was rare, served on a pearl-barley risotto which was rather bland. The lamb was served on a thin slab of slate, with cones of carrots, blobs of purees and tiny potatoes dotted around like a painting by Kandinsky. Why, oh why do restaurants do this? It's not appetising! And frankly, scraping a knife blade or prong of a fork accidentally across slate is not a pleasant sensation. Indeed, it's part of the reason that glazed ceramics such as modern dinner plates were invented. Hey-ho! This course was served cold - not deliberately, I hasten to add. Frankly, it was very disappointing. We chose not to risk a dessert and returned to the cocktail bar, which continued to impress us. The young chap mixed, poured and crushed his way to a tip, that frankly saved our evening from being bloody awful. All in, we spent £145 on a meal for two, though £80 of that was due to some wonderful cocktails.

Breakfast, the next morning was an uninspiring affair, served brusquely by a man who'd obviously been to the Joseph Stalin school for the Maitre d'. Nevertheless, we ate a standard full English breakfast whilst enjoying the beautiful view from the bay windows, enjoyed another hour or two in the spa and left.

All things considered, £340 for a visit to a spa, dinner and a single night in a bed is quite expensive. But I wouldn't mind paying it, if the place was perfect, if the room was wonderful, if the food was to die for. None of this was the case, sadly. The only thing I'd recommend, if you visit this place, is to try that young man's cocktails. You can't miss him. Tall, dark haired, heavy dark framed glasses, and great cocktails. And hopefully, with enough of them, you'll forget all about the rest of the stay.

6 Thank Mark01824093
Dear Guest

Thank you for your recent review.

Firstly, Im pleased that you enjoyed all of the spa facilities, they are simply wonderful, especially on a gorgeous sunny day.

However, I was disappointed to read there were aspects of your stay that did not live up to your expectations. We are constantly striving to improve our facilities and take all comments on board. I have raised some of the issues with my Management Team to ensure we do not repeat these minor mistakes.

Thank you for your kind comments about our bar staff – all of our team work exceptionally hard and are there purely to ensure our guests have an enjoyable stay.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2013

My husband and I stayed here over the Easter weekend and had a fantastic stay. Very relaxing and we were treated well by all the staff. We have no complaints. I thought the breakfast was especially good, a nice variety and our room (classic room, no 1) was decent size, with good facilities and clean bathroom. I do wonder if they loose out by not having an indoor pool in their spa though, just an outdoor one. It was being used, but I was reclutant and would have liked to swim.
My only negative comment would be the price, I thought the ‘room / spa / breakfast and dinner’ package was a little steep in comparison to others in the area, especially as many are now discounted on sites like Groupon or LivingSocial. But really, I'm nitpicking.

Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback on your Easter break with us.

I am pleased to read that you had such a peaceful and relaxing stay and enjoyed all of the facilities. I have passed your kind comments onto Chef.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Hinton Charterhouse
#12 of 35 in Bath
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,323 reviews
Francis Hotel Bath - MGallery by Sofitel
The Royal Crescent Hotel & Spa

Been to Homewood Park Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!