“Nice food, disappointing service”

Homewood Park Hotel & Spa
Blackburn, United Kingdom
“Nice food, disappointing service”
Reviewed 23 June 2013

Restaurant ambience was quite pleasant, apart from the noise from the 18-year birthday dinner party in the adjoining room. The food was quite good and it might be worth coming for that were it not for the poor service we received. First we went to the bar for a drink where an off-hand barman proceeded to argue with me about my request for a non-alcoholic drink and was quite dismissive of what he could offer. The bar area was unexciting, as was the wine list. Dinner went without serious event until dessert when my companion was brought the wrong dessert. The waitress, who was the restaurant manager, then tried to suggest that he take it anyway, which he refused. When we came to pay we found that the discount on which we had booked the table online was not being honoured, as the manager informed us in an abrupt manner. We objected and then received two inaccurate bills in succession. Only after some persistence, including removal of the service charge, did we get the right bill and we left feeling we had been poorly served. On the basis of this service I would not recommend this place for a meal. No matter how good the food if the service isn't right the lasting feeling is of dissatisfaction.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Dinner I
Josh W, General Manager at Homewood Park Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 9 July 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for visiting the Tides Restaurant and for your valuable feedback.

I am happy to read that you enjoyed your meal with us however, I am very sorry that you felt the service was not up to our usually high standards.

The Restaurant Manager apologises and ensures me that her comment on the dessert was light hearted and not forced in any way. I would also like to apologise for the mix up with the bill, but I am pleased this was rectified before you departed.

We do hope that you will visit us again, and if you would like to contact me direct to discuss further then please do not hesitate to contact me on 01225 723731.

Joshua Watts

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (149)
bs1983
Reviewed 22 June 2013 via mobile

We booked this hotel on a deal and it was very reasonable. We were in one of the not so good rooms but I expected that. Being an old house our room smelt a bit of drains which was unfortunate and the mattress needed replacing. The hotel facilities were really nice though! Loved the Spa and dinner and breakfast were good! It's only a small menu and there was just one vegetarian option on there but luckily it was delicious! I would definitely stay again but I'd splash out and book one of the more swish rooms :)

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank BonniePhillips83
Josh W, General Manager at Homewood Park Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 12 July 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your recent review on your stay at Homewood Park.

I am delighted to read that overall you had a wonderfully relaxing stay with us.

If you are looking to splash out on your return visit, may I recommend one of our Junior Suites - they have wonderful spacious sitting areas and excellent views!

Kindest regards

Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 June 2013 via mobile

Enjoyed a short break here - loved the breakfast, enjoyed the spa and liked the setting of the hotel. Good staff, friendly and helpful. The basic room was clean and nicely decorated-probably would rate the room a 3 star but the rest of the hotel deserves its 4 star rating.

• Stayed June 2013
2 Thank Carol U
Dear Guest

Thank you for your recent review regarding your overnight stay at Homewood Park.

I am pleased to read that you had an enjoyable stay with us, and I hope to welcome you back in the future.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 June 2013

My husband booked a night here as part of a trip to longleat. As we were travelling with a 4 month old baby, were recommended to book a garden suite for added room. Definitely worth the money at the reduced rate but I wouldn't pay nearly £500 at the usual rate for it. Huge room, more like an apartment. Comfy bed. Lovely views of the garden & really near the spa. & pool. I had a great massage at the spa & a relax in the jacuzzi whilst my husband took the baby in the heated outdoor pool. We ate dinner at the pub in the village, I think called The Inn, which was fabulous after a recommendation (and table booked for us) by the receptionist at the hotel. Breakfast was plentiful with cereal, pastries and a full English - including a vegetarian option for me. Staff were very friendly & helpful - especially considering we brought a 4 month old baby with us which could have meant we weren't the ideal guests but everyone was attentive to him. The grounds are beautiful - my only negative would be that in the garden suite, people can walk through the grounds & straight past your window if the curtains are open so privacy could be an issue. Otherwise, I wish we had been able to spend more time there.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Louise C
Dear Guest

Thank you for your wonderful review regarding your recent stay with us.

We know it can be hard when travelling with a little one, so I am delighted to read that we were able to take a little of that stress out of your trip! And that you were able to take advantage of the wonderful spa treatments on offer.

The team and I hope to welcome you back in the future.

Bath, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 June 2013

My wife and I held our wedding at Homewood on the 8th June 2013 and we cannot speak highly enough of the facilities and all of the staff. Everyone was very impressed with the way things were handled and the day wouldn't have been so special if ot wasn't for the staff.
All of our guest were thrilled with the food and accommodation and they will all revisit at some point over the coming months.
We couldn't think of any negative points as they were all so happy and helpful and we have rebooked the whole hotel for our 1 year anniversary in 2014.
Thank you all at Homewood for making our special day even more special than we could ever of dreamed of

Alex and Sabrina

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Sabrina J
Dear Alex & Sabrina

Firstly, the team and I would like to wish you Congratulations!

We are delighted that your special day went perfectly, and we cannot wait to welcome you and your family & friends back next year!

Kindest Regards

Weymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 June 2013

We can't wait to go back.Our accomodation was just factastic. The staff were wonderful. They were genuinely caring in every way. The food was delicious and beautifully presented. We had our dog Rosco with us and he was made extremely welcome The pool and spa area are spotless and totally relaxing and the gardens are the icing on the cake.Housekeeping took pride in their work. It was a magical experience, thank you.
Kathleen Jackson
Ireland

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank kathleen j
Josh W, General Manager at Homewood Park Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 7 June 2013
Dear Ms Jackson

Thank you for your fantastic feedback on your recent stay with us at Homewood Park.

I am absolutely delighted to read that you had such an amazing stay, and that Rosco enjoyed himself too!

Thank you for all of your wonderful comments, the Team and I cannot wait to welcome you all back soon.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 June 2013

Amazing stay here, staff are friendly, food was excellent and our room was beautiful! i would definitely come back here.

When we arrived we was shown to our room. We had a 4 poster bed and the room was overlooking the gardens, the beds were so comfy. We went down for Afternoon tea and it was delicious and lucky for us the weather was great so we was able to sit outside and have it.

We also had dinner and breakfast at the hotel and all of it was really nice. I haven't got a bad word to say about my trip, I've enjoyed my stay very much.

I only wish i could of had a treatment at the spa, sadly this was booked as a surprise for me from my boyfriend and he didn't realise you had to book in advance. We ended up going to the Thermae Bath Spa instead and too be honest i think i would much preferred a smaller spa to relax in, it was a bit hectic there and couldn't really relax.

Thank you Homewood Park hotel for a lovely stay

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Alanakate
Dear Guest

Thank you for your wonderful review.

I am delighted to read that you had such a great stay with us, and were also blessed with great weather during your time here!

The team and I all hope to welcome you back in the future

Also consider these accommodations in or near Hinton Charterhouse
The Bath Priory
The Bath Priory
#11 of 31 in Bath
Francis Hotel Bath - MGallery by Sofitel

Been to Homewood Park Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!