“Enjoyable stay marred by poor service”

Homewood Park Hotel & Spa
“Enjoyable stay marred by poor service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2013 via mobile

We stayed for a night prior to a family wedding for a much needed bit of relaxation.

The positives:

- the bed was unbelievably comfortable (and huge!)
- the room itself (and bathroom) were both good sized, clean and comfortable
- the pool and spa were also clean and enjoyable
- the food was good (although some grumbles were had about small portion sizes for the fish dishes and over seasoning of meat dishes)- the desserts were particularly good!

The negatives:
- the service in the restaurant was incredibly slow. We waited 20 minutes for someone to take our order and, after a further 25 minutes, when I enquired if we could at least have some wine and bread on the table whilst we waited for our starter, the waiter was rude and antagonistic and began arguing with me over the time the order was placed! I had also tried to speak discreetly to him outside the main restaurant area but he insisted on coming back into the main area and having me point at our table before continuing to argue about when the order was placed! This was eventually stopped by a manager and we got our wine and bread shortly afterwards. The rest of the meal and the food were good and the service did improve but I had to spend it being served by a glowering waiter who was clearly unimpressed with my asking for bread and wine for a party who had been waiting for 45 minutes by that point.

If it hadn't been for that, this would have been a five star review!

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank Jmgj27
Josh W, General Manager at Homewood Park Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 18 September 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your recent review.

I am pleased to read that there were many positives to your stay, and I have passed your kind comments onto the team.

However, I was exceptionally dissappointed to read about the incident in the restaurant. Please be assured this is not up to our normal high levels of service and I have conducted a full investigation into what happened. The member of staff involved is currently working their notice period at the moment and shortly will no longer be with us.

I am very sorry that this happened and if you would consider returning to stay with us please do not hesitate to contact me personally at the hotel to arrange your stay.

Joshua Watts

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
somerset
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2013

Just returned from our two night stay. Overall a lovely,charming quaint hotel in beautiful surroundings. The food,especially dinner, was exceptional and was a delight to eat. The room was on the smallish side but completely adequate for our needs, with small touches like water and elemis toiletries that added that special touch. The spa, although small, was very pleasant, but not a lot of time could be spent here due to its limited facilities. The massage was very nice, although quite pricey.
All in all an enjoyable stay. My only complaint was the price of the wine we had, £10 per glass plus a service charge added on top. This is, without doubt, very overpriced for a hotel of this standard.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank charliebond07
Josh W, General Manager at Homewood Park Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 16 September 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your recent review.

I am delighted to read that you had a lovely time at Homewood Park, and you appreciated all of the small touches in the rooms such as the Elemis toiletries.

The team and I hope to welcome you back in the future - maybe even for a well deserved break over the festive season!

Bath, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 September 2013

The day after the night before... I am sitting here with my new wife talking about what a wonderful day we had. The hotel staff were amazing, each and every one went above and beyond the call of duty to make sure our day was perfect. Thank you all so much... if you worked for me I would give you all a pay rise immediately. The hotel and grounds are lovely, the spa and pool are great and as I mentioned the staff are amazing. All in all its a great venue, easy to get to from Bath but far enough away to feel like you're really in the country. The rooms are lovely all individual and a welcome difference from any chain hotel. The food is amazing too, turning out 67 fabulous, hot meals on hot plates all at the same time is no mean feat, and something that is often not done well. Thanks Homewood Hotel and Staff....

Room Tip: Some of the rooms have fab views overlooking the valley behind the hotel
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Rob and Sophie

Firstly, may I wish you both congratulations on your marriage!

I am absolutely delighted to read that you both had such a wonderful day, and that our staff were able to make what was already a fabulous day that little bit better.

The team and I all look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Kindest Regards

Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2013

Arrived. Sun was shining and had pins on the lawn. We then did some team building in the gardens. This was great fun and well organised. We had a two day meeting in hotel. The meeting room was excellent and the service was truly excellent. The lady who looked after us in the meeting room coped with every situation request from us. Food was out of this world. And then the bedrooms ......... I died and went to heaven. Lovely massive big bed. Nice amenities lots and lots of space and lovely views. The bedding was beautiful as well.

We ate in first night. Lovely food and totally spoilt. Then we went into the bar area. Again outstanding service

The sun was shining so the outside pool was beautiful. Lovely furniture around the pool. Then the spa. I only went into look but it was great

I defiantly will return with my husband as it was meant to share this. My colleagues also loved and I know will book to go back

Tremendous hotel. Amazing services and great staff

Room Tip: All rooms are lovely. Some with private seating area and one that goes onto the swimming pool. Just...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Dear Guest

Thank you for your fantastic review on your recent visit.

I am delighted to read that your 2 day meeting was better than expected, and that we exceeded all expectations.

The team and I very much look forward to welcoming you back with your husband to enjoy a relaxing getaway.

Bristol
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 September 2013

We booked a lunch & day spa visit during the recent British heatwave.

We were particularly in search of somewhere with an outdoor pool where we could relax and enjoy the sunshine. Homewood Park is a lovely hotel in pretty grounds; the decor is a nice mix of traditional and contemporary and the lunch we had was well-presented, 'modern British'.

The only downside was that a lot of other people also wanted to enjoy the outdoor pool during the glorious sunshine. There were only 8 sun-loungers around the small pool and these were all occupied - sometimes just by a towel while their 'owners' wandered off for lunch or treatments. Unsurprisingly, nobody wanted to use the inside facilities much and as a result it was fairly crowded.

I realise that planning for a heatwave is a pretty un-British activity but with such large and beautiful gardens, I would suggest that the management could set up day-beds or other attractive, outdoor lounging areas. They seemed quite surprised that we wanted to have our lunch on the lawn rather than in the velvet, draped dining room.

We didn't stay but it looks like a lovely venue for a wedding.

Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review on your recent spa day.

I am pleased to read that overall you had a lovely day with us, and enjoyed some rare sunny weather!

Thank you for your constructive feedback, we take all of our guests comments on board to allow us to continually improve our standards of service.

I do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future, maybe for an overnight stay with dinner next time.

London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2013

We had a nice stay here and whilst the staff were all very friendly and nice, we felt they could use some training to justify the prices they charge. A few examples:

1) very difficult to order drinks at the pool
2) service in the bar was intermittent and we had to carry our own glasses and bottle of wine through to the restaurant
3) we had a number of waitresses throughout our evening meal so we kept getting asked the same questions by each one (shouldn't they run their own section?)
4) our morning paper didn't arrive until 8.15am
5) my wife wanted to book a massage. She was repeatedly told to speak to the spa reception and there were never any staff working behind it. In the end, she had to go without.
6) we were woken up at 6am by a large amount of bottles being recycled close to our room

On a positive note, the setting is stunning, the food was lovely and the pool was a great place to lazy around on a sunny afternoon (although a few more outdoor sunbeds would be nice...).
The room and bed were very comfortable but the bathroom was inferior to other hotels we have stayed at in this price bracket.

All in all, we had a nice break but it could have been better.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank BigPhil1975
Josh W, General Manager at Homewood Park Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 6 September 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay.

I’m pleased to read there were many positives to your stay, and thank you for all of your constructive comments which we have highlighted and take on board. I can only apologise that we let you down in a few areas and I do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Kind regards

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2013

Just arrived home after a lovely overnight stay at Homewood Park.
We were greeted by a very friendly receptionist who promptly checked us in and showed us to our room. My partner and I had never been to Bath before and the receptionist was extremely helpful and spent some time advising us where to park - very useful!
Our room (4) was a deluxe room, very spacious, beautiful 4 poster bed and a lovely view over the gardens.
We had dinner in Bath which was a 10 minute drive and very easy to get to but were served some drinks in the cosy and quiet bar area at the hotel.
We had breakfast delivered promptlt to our room which was beautifully presented and it wouldve been great to have a slightly bigger portion of the cooked breakfast - as it was delicious!
We were lucky enough to stay on a quiet day as we were the only ones using the spa
facilities in the morning - sitting out in the sun and in the outdoor pool was bliss and very quiet - the staff were also very attentive and brought some drinks for us to save us going to the bar to order them.
Overall a lovely stay and would definitely recommend it as a relaxing country hotel - we especially loved the line of walking boots for customers in the reception! The staff were very attentive on our stay and made it an enjoyable visit to Bath, thankyou!

• Stayed September 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your wonderful review on your recent stay.

I am delighted to read that you had such a fantastic stay and were able to visit the nearby beautiful City of Bath, with recommendations from the team.

The team and I all hope to welcome you back in the future (maybe even for Christmas when the log fires are lit and the house dressed beautifully!)

Kindest regards

#12 of 35 in Bath
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,323 reviews
Francis Hotel Bath - MGallery by Sofitel
The Royal Crescent Hotel & Spa

Been to Homewood Park Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!