“Hard pressed to find better”

Homewood Park Hotel & Spa
Reviewed 23 October 2013 via mobile

I took my girlfriend here for her birthday courtesy of a deal on LivingSocial & was impressed beyond belief.
From the service, to the room (junior suite), to the spa & the restaurant.. Everything was done to perfection.
Speaking purely from the point of view of having used a discount website, we got more than value for money.
We had a back & shoulders massage & body scrub each in the spa. Had a really special meal in the restaurant 'Tides' that resides within the hotel & enjoyed what Bath & it's countryside had to offer.
The room itself was huge, with an equally impressive bathroom attached. I've stayed in boutique hotels from Brighton to New York & can honestly say this pips them all.

Highly recommended for a weekend getaway

• Stayed: October 2013
2  Thank dayschasingdays
Josh W, General Manager at Homewood Park Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 5 November 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for your fantastic review on your recent stay with us.

I am delighted to read that you had such an amazing break to celebrate your girlfriends birthday, and enjoyed all of the facilities and services on offer at the hotel, as well as enjoying the beautiful location.

The team and I all hope to welcome you back to Homewood Park in the future.

Kind regards

Reviewed 14 October 2013

We booked the 2 night spa break package for our wedding night.
On arrival we were a bit dissapointed as the guy who checked us in didn't explain anything to us like when or where breakfast was served etc. Nor did he even congratulate us (I'm sat there in my wedding dress!), I know we arrived late but we had advised the hotel of this.
The hotel itself is really nice and our room was spacious and we had a lovely view of the garden, nice bathroom but tiny detail made this stay abit of a let down.
I had arranged for wine in the room on arrival which didn't happen although this was on our bill at departure, they took it off without any hassle though.
We didn't receieve our champagne in the spa which was part of our package and also I think that charging a service charge for afternoon tea is ridiculous, staff didn't even ask us if we were happy with it or offer top ups of tea.
Having said all this we couldn't fault the food one bit, this was all lovely. Breakfast, dinner and the afternoon tea we just feel that the service charge is too much and we felt this place is overpriced.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank xx_Shelley_xx
Josh W, General Manager at Homewood Park Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 25 October 2013

Dear Guest

May I firstly take this opportunity to wish you both congratulations on your recent marriage.

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us.

Whilst I am pleased to read that you enjoyed the food and the surroundings I am very disappointed to read that we let you down in a few areas.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the greeting you received from our Night Porter, and that your bottle of wine was not in your room ready for your arrival as requested. We pride ourselves on offering the highest levels of customer service and we obviously let you down this time. I have raised this with the relevant team members concerned as this falls short of the high levels we set ourselves.

I do hope you will visit us again, and if you do wish to return please do not hesitate to contact me direct to arrange your stay.

Reviewed 1 October 2013

We by passed Bath because of the traffic and went over the Bathampton Toll Bridge. We were looking for coffee and saw the Homewood sign in the trees. A sharp left turn and up the drive to park. Good grounds and looks lovely, in the front door.
Morning coffee? Of course.
Good surroundings, good coffee and a pleasant break in the journey.
The bill - ouch!
Two Americanos £9.50
Latte £4.75
Double Espresso £4.75
Service charge £1.90
Total £20.90

Several reviews comment on value/prices at Homewood.
Make your own mind up.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank BoogieBopBruce

Thank you for your recent review.

I am pleased to read that you enjoyed our beautiful gardens and that we were able to provide a pleasant stop off on your long journey.

However, I am sorry to read that you felt the coffees were slightly expensive. We only serve products of the highest quality and consider our prices to be in line with similar luxury establishments.

I do hope you enjoyed your time in Lulworth Cove, and that if you pass again we will be able to welcome you back, perhaps for lunch or afternoon tea next time.

Reviewed 25 September 2013 via mobile

We stayed in the junior suite for 2 nights after our wedding and the setting was perfect.

Good points..
Beautiful gardens,
Spacious and luxurious room, Easy access into bath.
We were able to walk across the lawn to the spa from our patio doors and have our breakfast on our private patio.
Staff were very accommodating and friendly - they always said hello and made conversation.
Lovely yet small relaxing spa area with outdoor pool only (warm)
Roll top bath and huge bathroom.

A couple of negative points tho.. Being charged an extra £5 for breakfast in your room.
Very creaky floorboards from the room above. The people above woke us up when they got up in the night and when they got up in the morning. You could hear them talking and could hear their tv.
My hubby ordered some flowers and chocolates for me from the hotel and was charged £40. There were 6 tiny chocolates and a small bunch of flowers - not worth his money at all.

I would definitely stay here again as it was very relaxing and friendly however I didn't think it was worth the money we paid.

• Stayed: September 2013
2  Thank rossyd78
Josh W, General Manager at Homewood Park Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 26 September 2013

Thank you for your recent review.

May I firstly wish you congratulations on your recent marriage.

I am delighted to read that there were many positive aspects to your stay, and I have passed your lovely comments onto the team.

However, I am disappointed to read that you felt the prices for chocolates and flowers were too high – the truffles charged at £9.95 are handmade in house by our dedicated Chefs and flowers are ordered from a local florist to the value specified by the guest, however I am more than happy to pass your feedback onto the florist.

The team and I all look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 23 September 2013

Recently went for Sunday Lunch and what a big disappointment! A good welcome, good menu but then sadly went downhill. Food was average and some of it had been cooked much earlier and kept warmish. But the service was worse- we had to wait up to 45 minutes between the courses- the staff just vanished. Not likely to return.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Vjohn

Thank you for your recent review.

I am disappointed to read that you did not have an enjoyable experience whilst joining us for Sunday Lunch. I can only apologise that things seemed to go wrong on the day – we pride ourselves on offering fantastic service and superb food, as you will see from the majority of reviews. Thank you for bringing this to my attention and I will certainly be investigating what happened on the day.

Once again, please accept my sincere apologies and I do hope that this will not put you off returning in the future.

Reviewed 21 September 2013

Visited for 2 days as a birthday treat for me from my lovely wife.
What a spectacular entrance to the park with manicured lawns and formal gardens; beautiful.
We were given a cracking corner room with views overlooking the gardens and across the valley to the east towards Bradford-upon-Avon.
Room was spacious, clean and comfortable and well maintained. A creaky old difficult_to_open chest of drawers was the only frustration in there.
Bar and restaurant are both very welcoming and nicely decorated, the staff polite and helpful, and the food was fabulous (and surprisingly reasonably priced as were the drinks).
The spa is a lovely modern addition tucked away behind formal hedges. Perhaps a bit limited in size and the outdoor pool would have benefited from more sun loungers.
As another reviewer has noted there was a lack of attention from bar staff while at the spa area. There is a phone which can be used to call reception, but not a substitute for an efficient waiter.
Overall a wonderfully relaxing break, and very close to Bath for sightseeing.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room for the dual-aspect
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Judgmental

Dear Guest

Thank your recent review.

I am delighted to read that you had such a wonderful time with us to celebrate your birthday.

Thank you for all of your wonderful comments, which I have passed onto the team. And for your constructive feedback which we will be looking into.

The team and I all hope to welcome you back again in the future.

Kind regards

Reviewed 16 September 2013

Almost everything about this hotel is top quality. The rooms are large and well appointed, the beds are huge, the breakfast is up to the expected high standard and the free spa facilities are excellent.
It is comparable to better known (and far more expensive) establishments like the Macdonald Spa and is to be thoroughly recommended at all levels.
The only thing that lets it down is that some (and only a very few) of the staff are either not sufficiently trained or have lost the enthusiasm that is required. As an example, on arrival, we could only find the receptionist by penetrating to the inner recesses of the kitchen. At breakfast, despite the fact that there were at least four staff on duty, there were no cereal bowls and orders were not being taken promptly. These are little things and only minor irritants against the overall extremely high standard of the hotel. But it rankles simply because it is so good and, with just that little bit extra, could be perfect.
Don't let these minor gripes put you off going - by the time you read this they will be resolved (I hope!) and you are in for a treat. Four and a half star treatment at three star prices.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Josh W, General Manager at Homewood Park Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 18 September 2013

Thank you for your recent review.

I am delighted to read that you had such a wonderful stay with us and enjoyed all of the facilities and services on offer.

We have just recruited some new team members who are currently working their way through our intensive training programme. I do hope you will return to visit us in a few months time when all the staff have completed their training and then we can hopefully exceed your expectations even further!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Hinton Charterhouse
Combe Grove Hotel
#21 of 34 in Bath
Francis Hotel Bath - MGallery by Sofitel
The Roseate Villa Bath

Been to Homewood Park Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!