“Faulty towers”

Homewood Park Hotel & Spa
“Faulty towers”
Reviewed 3 February 2014

I rang some days before arriving to say I was on a wheelchair and requested a room near reception without stairs. At check in they said they had a room but there would be a couple of steps.. This turned out to be 9 steps and a 50 yards walk on crutches along a wet stone path. When we complained we were told there was no alternative. Later they said we could use a different drive which would get us much nearer to the room. When we returned after dinner we took this route only to find a locked gate. Reception took ages to find the key, by which time we had given up, after backing the car 80 yards in the dark. The air conditioning in our room was set at 20c, too hot for us but a sign on the control said don't touch, and all the windows were locked, with no key. We had to leave the door open to get cooler, by the morning the airco was not working and there was no hot water. The room phone was not working either, and my mobile was out of range, so after two visits across the open and the stone path, we got permission to shower in an adjoining room . The hotel did not have a wheelchair. The staff were unhelpful. They offered me a discount of 25 % but I think over £150 for no hot water outrageous. The breakfast was good

• Stayed February 2014
7 Thank Blantyre98
Josh W, General Manager at Homewood Park Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 15 February 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review regarding your recent stay with us.

I am disappointed to read that you did not enjoy your stay. We pride ourselves on offering the highest levels of customer service so I can only apologise that you feel we let you down on this occasion.

Unfortunately, the only rooms we had available upon your arrival were up 2 flights of stairs, so we thought the Garden Suite would be the most suited for you as there were less steps on the way to this room. Our Receptionist and Duty Manager on the day offered for you to use a closer driveway when you returned from your evening in Bath, which is locked after 5pm for the safety of our guests, I can only apologise that you had to wait for us to obtain the key.

However, I am sorry that you did not overly enjoy your stay but I am pleased that on departure we discounted your bill accordingly.

I do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future so that we may restore your faith in Homewood Park. If you do decide to return please do not hesitate to contact me on 01225 723731 to arrange your stay.

Joshua Watts

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (149)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 January 2014

We stayed here for one night in January. We were upgraded to a junior suite, overlooking the grounds which was wonderful. On arrival we were greeted warmly by reception and made to feel at home, it was very much appreciated that the team took their time and seemed to genuinely want us to feel relaxed.
We had a wonderful dinner and fantastic service throughout, the maître d, Carlos, was engaging and even attempted to get us an upgrade for the next hotel we were staying in by calling ahead!
All of the hotel team were friendly, polite and seemed to instinctively anticipate the level of interaction you were happy with.
The hotel itself is beautiful and the decor is sympathetic, the spa is small, quiet and intimate which we realised is far preferable after a visit to another (much larger) spa in bath!
Overall a wonderful stay, fabulous service and food along with a tranquil atmosphere in a picturesque setting.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Guest

Thank you for your recent review on your stay with us.

It is great to read all of your positive comments which I have passed onto the team.

We all hope to welcome you back in the future.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 January 2014

I stayed here for a 3 day Christmas break and had little in terms of expectations as I've never stayed in a hotel for Christmas before. Upon arrival the staff were very helpful in assisting us to our room with our mountain of luggage. The room itself was very nice, a twin room with a separate lounge area which was unexpected but ideal for a Christmas stay.
Dinner on the 1st night was pleasant but not without it's bad points - my haddock and mash arrived purely as mash...no haddock whatsoever on the plate, plus both of our main courses had to go back as they were cold (mine arrived back with the fish successfully on the plate and warmer too). Once they got it right, the food that we had was very nice.
The quality of the food at breakfast was good however none of the staff seemed to know what was going on, there was little direction and it seemed like there was a lack of communication throughout. Christmas Day lunch was much the same. My party was the first to be seated at the 12:30 sitting and had a relatively smooth experience however there were many understandably distressed guests around us experiencing terrible service and delays on food, I empathise with peoples complaints on here. Management of the day was not very good, i think we were fortunate to have had a lucky escape before things got too out of control.
The hotel is in nice grounds, although smaller than expected, there are some nice areas to wander around.
Also, Bath town centre is a short drive away and a lovely lovely place which we thoroughly enjoyed visiting on Boxing Day.
Many of the staff were very nice, it's just unfortunate that there was no much in the way of management and communication. With some significant work this could be a wonderful hotel - the spa and pool is worth a visit on a quiet afternoon, lovely jacuzzi and heated outdoor pool.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank CharCharCharChar
Josh W, General Manager at Homewood Park Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 28 January 2014

Thank you for your recent review.

I am pleased to read that there were many positive aspects to your festive stay, including the Room, Spa and Gardens of which we have acquired many Bath in Bloom awards.

We had by far the busiest day in terms of the number of people for Christmas Day Lunch, I can assure you that we have learnt many lessons from last year that will help us to ensure this year it will run a lot smoother for everyone.

I do hope to welcome you back in the future.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 January 2014

I stayed at the Homewood Park Hotel in November with a friend for a spa break. We had a Living Social deal for a one night stay in a junior suite with dinner and a spa treatment included. The price with the voucher was good but I think visiting without the deal would have made it too expensive for us.

On arrival at the hotel we were upgraded to the honeymoon suite which was lovely, though it was a shame we weren't there with partners! The room was huge and there was a fabulous bathroom with a rainfall shower as well. The beds are very soft so if you prefer a firm mattress that may be an issue.

The spa is very clean and modern but it is fairly small with just two treatment rooms, a sauna with room for about 4 - 6 people and a steam room that could comfortably fit about the same. There is a good sized Jacuzzi pool and an outdoor pool that was unfortunately a little too cold for me to swim in. One downside of the spa is that it's situated in a different building to the main hotel and requires a short walk outside between the buildings in your dressing gown and slippers. Luckily it wasn't raining when we went but I can imagine it wouldn't be too pleasant if it was.

We had dinner in the hotel and the food was tasty and well presented. Unfortunately the potatoes with my dish were undercooked and after 10 minutes of waiting, I had to go look for a waitress to ask to have them changed. I was presented with a new plate of food about 20 minutes later with 2 portions of the fish I'd ordered as well as the vegetables. It was very nice of them to do so but I was much too full to eat it all! The service was very friendly but the restaurant was frequently left unstaffed, which meant our meal ended up lasting for nearly 3 hours.

The grounds of the hotel are quite well maintained and nice for a short stroll. The hotel is about 5 miles from Bath centre and the train station and there seemed to be very little within walking distance. This was fine for us as we were there for the spa and had dinner in the hotel but it's worth bearing in mind that you will probably need to take taxi's/drive if you want to dine or visit elsewhere during your stay.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Emma R

Thank you for your recent review.

I am delighted to read you had a wonderful overall experience with us and that we were able to complimentary upgrade you to one of our suites.

I will pass all of your comments on to the team and we all hope to welcome you back soon.

Kinds Regards

Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 January 2014

We had an absolutely fantastic stay at the hotel. We arrived on the 13th January to a very warm welcome, followed by a surprise upgrade to the master suite (rm 19) was an amazing start to a wonderful experience. A gorgeous room awaited us with a beautiful bathroom, living room and bedroom. The spa facilities were great. Swimming in the heated outdoor pool, on a rainy evening in January was magical. We had a wonderful meal in the restaurant, with exceptional service and great food and wine. The staff were all friendly and knowledgeable and nothing seemed too much. All in all, this hotel comes very highly recommended and we look forward to hopefully returning soon.

Room Tip: The master suite was amazing!
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Josh W, General Manager at Homewood Park Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 17 January 2014

Thank you for your recent review.

I am delighted to read that you had such an amazing stay with us, and I’m pleased that we were able to upgrade you to a Master Suite. I have passed all of your kind comments onto the team.

The team and I hope to welcome you back soon.

London
Reviewed 11 January 2014

We stayed at Homewood Park on Boxing night. The hotel is lovely but maybe a little expensive for a small village. Overall the room was nice, a little cold in the middle of winter.

Watch out - check out time is 11am which we weren't warned about at check in so we had planned for 12pm. Got a slightly annoyed call from the staff at 11.40 asking us why we haven't left - be warned!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank marksdavison

Thank you for your recent review.

I am pleased to read that overall you had an enjoyable stay with us.

I do apologise that you were not aware that check out was 11am. This is included in our confirmation letters as well as in the guest directory which is placed in all bedrooms, I’m sorry you missed these - we will look into making it clearer.

The team and I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Norton St Philip, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 January 2014

What a disappointing experience! We prebooked lunch on New Years day confirming it was also a birthday celebration and was promised something at dessert time to acknowledge the day. We arrived and no one bothered to take our coats or offered us drinks and canapes like they used to. It seemed they wanted our menu order first but we held off and asked for drinks. Admittedly we did take our time as we were so busy catching up with family news. Eventually we moved into the dining room which had been stripped of all the previous victorian charm and replaced with a minimalistic contemporary look which may be in vogue but lacked atmosphere and warmth. Service was pleasant and the food ok but nothing to write home about. Price for price the Bath Priory is far superior with stunning food, more courses for the same price and exemplary service.
We didnt get any acknowledgement for my mothers birthday as promised and despite the reminder she didnt even get a happy bithday wish from the staff. Overall, whilst it now has a spa and new owners the quality of the experience was nowhere near as good as it used to be and I doubt that we will return.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for your recent review.

I am disappointed to read about your lunch experience and can only apologise for letting you down. This is certainly not up to our usual high standards of service and I can assure you that I will be looking into the matter further to ensure it doesn’t happen again.

I do hope that you will give us another try and that we get to welcome you back in the future.

Kind Regards

The Bath Priory
The Bath Priory
#11 of 31 in Bath
Francis Hotel Bath - MGallery by Sofitel

Been to Homewood Park Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!