“Lovely setting and good facilities spoilt by poor service.”

Homewood Park Hotel & Spa
Reviewed 24 March 2014

My husband and I have just returned from a lovely couple of days in the Bath area. We stayed at the Homewood Spa Hotel- what a lovely place in such beautiful surroundings.Whilst we were happy with the bedroom, the breakfast and quality of facilities, we were really disappointed with the level of service we received, very surprising for a 4* Hotel as we stay in many hotels during the course of a year and have mostly good experiences of similar hotels. There was no one to welcome us in reception and we waited a good while before anyone came to check us in. We went into the Spa in the afternoon which was very nice. Unfortunately however, the phone in that area only worked intermittently and we weren’t able to order any drinks (the masseur who we had spoken to said it said the phone was dodgy!). Why then if people knew it didn’t work properly had no one come and mended it. Also, would it be too difficult for a waiter to pop down from time to time to take orders? A bit of friendly service?? The most disappointing aspect was the following morning. It says the spa opens at 8am. We signed in (there was no one at the reception) then arrived about 8.20am but the pool cover was still on and the sauna and steam room were stone cold and not on at all. We went back into the main hotel (still no one on the spa reception and phone still not working) and found a waiter who said the electrics must have ‘tripped off.’ In fact, the lady on main reception told us later that no one had turned up to put things on – apparently this is normally done soon after 7am to give time for things to heat up.
It therefore meant that we weren’t able to make use of the facilities as even 1/2 hour later nothing was hot enough. Frankly, I found this appalling for a hotel advertising itself as a Spa Hotel and it really spoilt my enjoyment of the time there as I was looking forward to this aspect. I have raised this with the staff and feel we should have been compensated as we were unable to enjoy the facilities as advertised. However, although I got an apology I got the distinct feeling that they didn't really care. My husband and I were left with the overall opinion that this hotel is undoubtedly in a lovely place and the facilities are really good. However, if the service is this poor (the hotel was clearly understaffed) then it leaves you disappointment - we expected better.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Josh W, General Manager at Homewood Park Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 8 April 2014

Dear Mr & Mrs Tait,

Thank you for your review on your recent stay with us, I’m sorry to read you felt our apologies in response to your to email was not suffice to the shortcomings of your stay with us, as explained previously I am glad to read that you were happy with the breakfast, bedroom and quality of facilities.

Again, please accept my apologies, I am very disappointed that it spoilt the end of your time with us. The receptionist at the time of your arrival was dealing with another guest at the time- sorry that you had to wait for a few minutes before being seen to. Unfortunately we were unable to fix the problem with the spa phone on site so we are awaiting a replacement phone for the spa which will be here very shortly, in the meantime the spa phone works for the majority of the phone calls we receive from the spa. We initially thought the electrics had tripped before finding out that sauna and steam room were in fact turned off, these rooms take around 20-30 minutes to heat so should have been hot enough for use.

I do hope that you will return to Homewood Park in the near future so we are able to show you that we pride ourselves on excellent customer service and do our utmost for all of our guests that stay with us.

Reviewed 23 March 2014 via mobile

Our suite was out of this world the staff were very helpful all had the makings of the perfect weekend break, however the food was very disappointing especially the cold very stingy breakfast...half a mushroom, half a tomato, one small rasher of bacon & raw potatoes! On a more positive note the spa is lovely as was my massage but unfortunately my manicure was terrible & I couldn't wait to sort it out myself. I hope my review is helpful & my criticism is constructive this house is truly stunning

• Stayed: March 2014
2  Thank Jessica B

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent review on your stay.

I am so pleased to read how happy you were with your Suite and found the staff very helpful.

I am, however, disappointed to read that the food was not to your taste, it’s very rare that we receive negative comments about the food, but I will pass your comments onto the Kitchen team.

We hope to welcome you back to Homewood Park Hotel at some point over the summer months.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 20 March 2014

This hotel ranks as one of the best we have stayed in. The room was beautiful, the bed was huge, the bedding top quality and the decor was lovely.
I love teh mix of traditional features with contemporary style which is seen throughout the hotel. The added bonus is the lovely outdoor pool and spa area, bath robes and slippers provided !
The dining room was stylish and our evening meal faultless. Maybe a little more choice if we were to stay longer. Lovely cozy lounge with a fire burning and seperate bar.
All the staff were a credit to the hotel - we will hopefully be back !

1  Thank slinketh

Dear Guest

Thank you for your wonderful review on your recent stay at Homewood Park.

I am delighted to read that you thoroughly enjoyed every aspect of your stay.

I very much hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back.

Reviewed 18 March 2014

My husband and I needed a last minute get away and this hotel was a perfect choice. At £139 per room, per night including breakfast through Secret Escapes this was superb value for money. The hotel is five miles out of Bath and going in to town was simple from that direction, there was plenty of convenient car parks.

The hotel has a really modern and tasteful interior. The staff are very friendly and helpful. Our room (12) was lovely and the bed was huge and very comfy. The food is superb reflecting a very talented chef who obviously likes to add quirky touches.

The disappointments included the over-priced wine list. The cheapest wines (and not of a very good standard) were £35-£45. The spa was really expensive compared to other hotels of this level and the fittings in our bathroom needed attention to stop them falling off the wall.

The down sides were far outweighed by the loveliness of the hotel and the very accommodating staff.

Room Tip: I would imagine all the rooms would be lovely. There is no fridge or mini bar.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent review on your stay.

I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us, look out for our 1 and 2 night spa breaks on our website which include a variety of spa treatments.

The team and I all hope to welcome you back in the future.

Kind regards

Reviewed 15 March 2014

I was treated to a surprise night away at Homewood Park in March 2014. We stayed in a garden suite room, it was just perfect and didn't feel like a normal hotel room. The room was very peaceful and felt very secluded. The spa was lovely, there were only a few other couples there. We had dinner in the restaurant and really enjoyed everything we had. The staff were very welcoming. Overall a thoroughly relaxing stay, we hope to be back soon!

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your fabulous review.

It is great to read all of your positive comments which I have passed onto the team.

We all hope to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 15 March 2014

Just spent two wonderful nights here, fantastic room, the spa was amazing, massage on arrival, jacuzzi both days and had a swim in the heated out door pool, breakfast was exceptional - a truly relaxing and special break. Opted for room service in the evenings after using spa - prompt service great food. Definitely will be returning.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback on your stay with us in March. I am delighted to read you both had such a wonderful time here.

I will be sure to pass your lovely comments on to the team.

We hope to welcome you back to Homewood Park very soon.

Reviewed 12 March 2014

We got married at Homewood Park in January 2014. The staff were so warm, friendly and helpful from start to finish, they were very well organised and they really went all out to make our day special and ensure the day ran smoothly. The hotel itself was very clean and looked stunning, the lighting was very good indoors and so we were able to get great indoor pictures as well as some great outdoor pictures in the lovely well kept gardens. We used the spa the day before the wedding and the day after and again it was very clean, the pool outside was slightly cool but was still usable and the indoor Jacuzzi was great. I had a full body massage which was very good and much needed. The food was brilliant, and they did very well to accommodate our guests dietary requirements. All our guests absolutely loved the fish and chip cones, (evening finger food) which were actually really impressive and absolutely delicious. All in all we had a wonderful time and so did our friends and family, it really is a perfect venue for a wedding and we couldn't recommend it highly enough.

Room Tip: we had room 3 which was stunning, and overlooked the gardens, it had high ceilings and a huge bed, t...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank kimberley14388

Dear Kimberley & Martin,

Thank you for the review on your Wedding Day here at Homewood Park in January.

I am so pleased to read that you both had an amazing day and I am glad we helped made your day very special. It’s lovely to hear that you both managed to enjoy the spa and treatments during your time with us.

I will pass all of the your kind comments on to our teams.

We look forward to welcoming you back for your complimentary stay to celebrate your 1st Anniversary.

Kind Regards,

Combe Grove Hotel
#21 of 34 in Bath
Francis Hotel Bath - MGallery by Sofitel
The Roseate Villa Bath

Been to Homewood Park Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!